About to apply Affirm relaxer

growingbrown

tomorrow after 17 weeks. What advice can you offer me to do my touch up before, during and after application? BTW this is the first time I will be using Affirm Normal lye relaxer.

MizaniMami

hmmmm, here we go:

base your scalp well

let your neutralizer shampoo stay in your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing

apply a protective coat such as oil or some conditioner to your hair stands to help protect from overlapping

only leave it in the recommended time

use a protein based conditioner after you have neutralized, then following with a moisturizing one

that's all I can think of.

Keep us updated!

growingbrown

MizaniMami said:
hmmmm, here we go:

base your scalp well

let your neutralizer shampoo stay in your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing

apply a protective coat such as oil or some conditioner to your hair stands to help protect from overlapping

only leave it in the recommended time

use a protein based conditioner after you have neutralized, then following with a moisturizing one

that's all I can think of.

Keep us updated!

Thank you for your reply. What would you recommend? I was going to let the 5 in 1 stay in for 30 minutes, rinse, and apply leave-in.
Any more opinions?:)

LiLi

growingbrown said:
Thank you for your reply. What would you recommend? I was going to let the 5 in 1 stay in for 30 minutes, rinse, and apply leave-in.
Any more opinions?:)

Actually, for the Affirm relaxer as long as you use ALL of the steps you don't need to use the 5 in 1 again after using it for 5 minutes before neutralizing. The only advice I have to offer is to use the entire system (including the Affirm neutralizer) and use it as directed!. It seems like when people skip a step or replace another product with one of the steps, they don't get favorable results. Oh and base the scalp with their scalp protector ... I have experience no early-on burning when I use their scalp protector (can't remember the exact name of it though). Hope this helps.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

These ladies gave you some good advise, and I too agree that when using all the steps to a relax brand, you get excellent results.
LiLi said:
Actually, for the Affirm relaxer as long as you use ALL of the steps you don't need to use the 5 in 1 again after using it for 5 minutes before neutralizing. The only advice I have to offer is to use the entire system (including the Affirm neutralizer) and use it as directed!. It seems like when people skip a step or replace another product with one of the steps, they don't get favorable results. Oh and base the scalp with their scalp protector ... I have experience no early-on burning when I use their scalp protector (can't remember the exact name of it though). Hope this helps.

growingbrown

LiLi said:

Thank you Lili. What should I do once I neutralize? Wash with a moisturizer follow by a deep conditioner or what?

LiLi

growingbrown said:
Thank you Lili. What should I do once I neutralize? Wash with a moisturizer follow by a deep conditioner or what?

I usually follow the neutralizer with Humecto (following the instructions for that as well). With the neutralizer, I rinse the Sustenance (similar to the 5 in 1 ... I use the Fiberguard system) out after leaving that on for 5 minutes (make sure you time this and ONLY leave it on for 5 minutes); then I put the neutralizer throughout my hair, massage it through for 5 minutes (I keep adding more neutralizer as needed, rinse it out really good, and then I only have to put the neutralizer through no more than two more times (you don't need to do the 5-minute thing again) and rinse it out good the last time until you don't see any suds; then apply the Humecto ...etc. etc. Also, I have used other conditioners after the neutralizer because Humecto is kind of drying for my hair but if you do that you have to make sure that the conditioner is primarily a moisturizing one.

Oh ... also, MAKE SURE that you rinse the relaxer out completly before putting the 5 in 1 on your hair. I just got the ACE rinse sprayer and the pressure is perfect for rinsing relaxers out.

HTH!!:D