Achieving Straight, Flowing Hair Without Blowdrying or Flat Ironing; 2-months post!

NegritaMuneca

Why, hello there ladies! :grin:

Oh Em Gee...! I am so darn excited to be a member of LHCF, I can literally jump up and down! LOL :trampolin

I've been lurking like a maniac since I cut my hair in the "Rihanna Bob" in November 2008. It was completely shaved in the back, and had deep a-line lengths both sides. It was a FIERCE cut, but, OH, it was a BEAST to grow out! Neva, (yes, with an a), NEVA again! :lachen:

Now, in 2010, I have achieved gorgeous, relaxed APL hair by utilizing low mani and low heat methods. Now, ladies, my only problem I have is my remaining loyal to my regimens. :perplexed

I am 2 months post, and I am having difficulty keeping a straight, flowing wrap using low manipulation and low-heat methods. I wash my hair with ORS Neutralizing Shampoo, then afterwards I do a EVOO and Honey deep conditioning treatment. I then wet-wrap, then sit under the hooded dryer.
After my hair is dry, I unwrap, and it looks a HORRIFYING MESS!!!! My roots are puffy, my hair looks dry, and my hair has no shape or movement. It looks quite juvenile! :wallbash:

Could you all help me?!

Re: Achieving Straight, Flowing Hair Without Blowdrying or Flat Ironing; 2-months pos

Welcome to lhcf
Have you tried rollersetting? To achieve straighter hair.

Re: Achieving Straight, Flowing Hair Without Blowdrying or Flat Ironing; 2-months pos

I have, but it always comes out so crazy! What are some setting products do you use for your hair? What size rollers? Uggh.. I'm so hair challenged. lol

I have, but it always comes out so crazy! What are some setting products do you use for your hair? What size rollers? Uggh.. I'm so hair challenged. lol
I dont have any pics of my rollersets but I use Oraganics by africas best, Olive oil setting lotion. I've seen quite a few ppl rave about motions and lotta body. So maybe someone else will chime in and help you out.:yep:

Welcome Negrita! I also suggest you try rollersetting. I just learned how to rollerset two months ago, and I luv luv luv it! I did a rollerset last night on my 11 weeks post relaxer hair, and it is soft, shiny, and flowing today.

I joined he rollersetting challenge and got lots of ideas from that thread for rollersetting. I suggest you read through that thread and consider joining the challenge! Rollersetting is challenging at first, but it gets easier and the results are worth it. Here is the link to the challenge: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=420704&referrerid=146658

My rollersets are simple. After washing and DCing, I apply Netrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave in and Chi Silk Infusion to the ends. I use all different sized rollers and roll using the Mohawk method. There are some great Youtube vids for rollersetting. I sit under the dryer, comb it down and apply a little coconut oil for shine. Sometimes I silk wrap, but if I'm tired, I'll just wrap my hair up and cover for the night. Hope that helps!

ETA: I don't use any setting or wrap lotion bc they make my curls stiff and crunchy. Water and my leave in works fine!

Last edited:

Rollersetting is great maybe you can try a deep conditioner to go along with your honey and olive oil to help with your puffy roots
Also do you have to shampoo with each wash? Maybe you can shampoo every other wash? I hear that more shampoo can equal more frizz
Welcome to the board

:welcome:

Thank you, Ladies!! I definitely feel welcomed!!

Bumping, Bumping, BUMPING! :grin:

I agree with rollersetting. It's great for the hair.

Welcome! I agree with rollersetting as well. Good luck!
Oh get the big ones, grey i think for APL length hair.

I agree with the masses as far as the rollerset is concerned. You could use minimal heat by hitting the roots one time with the flat iron after you take the rollers out.

I'd try another shampoo. That shampoo can be kind of strong for every wash. I use that shampoo like once a month for chelating purposes!

You can do the wrap method, but you have to master the art of tension. A foam-wrap lotion like Motions helps your hair stretch. A paddle brush (if it's not too rough on your hair), the wrap lotion, and wrap strips will pull your hair taunt enough for it to dry nicely.

If not, you can do roller-sets but they take time to master the art of tension as well....and you might still have puffy roots.

:welcome4: and I agree with everyone else rollersetting is the way to go.

Back