Acquiring length and a desired "thick look"

czyfaith77

Ladies, I have a friend with an hair issue. She has been emailing me with her frustrations. She has rather nice hair to me. Her complaint is, is that she has fine hair. Her hair is its finest at the nape. The nape/back part of her hair, has the capability to grow very long. However, it grows in layers. She would like to grow all of it out so that it would be all the same length to give the appearance of thick and/or fuller hair. In order to obtain this, she is cutting several inches through the year. She may obtain the thick look that she wants, but she isn't maintaining her desired length. I can't think of anything to tell her right now. My hair is rather thick, grows in layers and due to its thickness I prefer it that way to give some sort of shape. I honestly do not see what is wrong with her hair. I think things like Biotin can help her but I believe mainly the determination of hair density is genetics and that she should work with styles that are suitable for her to get the desired look that she wants. Please help. BTW, I don't know if she has joined just yet, but I have been sharing with her what I know and she did get Dontspeakdefeat's measurement shirt. I just want to help her out because she is alot like us and really wants her hair to be the best that it can be. Thank you in advance .

P.S She is suspecting that her relaxer is too strong (like possibly getting her hair too straight. So she is considering a milder relaxer or using a texturizer. It is my understanding that a texturizer and a relaxer are two different types of chemicals; thus, I don't advise it. I think that if she doesn't want it as straight, then she should use her relaxer and not leave it on as long. Just brainstorming....BTW her relaxer is Mizani mild. She asked me what I use but my hair is totally different. I would not advise her to use what I use. My hair would laugh and rollover at a mild relaxer :rofl: and hers would die and fall out at a super strength relaxer :drool: .

hopeful

czyfaith77 said:
...I believe mainly the determination of hair density is genetics and that she should work with styles that are suitable for her to get the desired look that she wants. Please help. BTW, I don't know if she has joined just yet, but I have been sharing with her what I know and she did get Dontspeakdefeat's measurement shirt. I just want to help her out because she is alot like us and really wants her hair to be the best that it can be. Thank you in advance .

P.S She is suspecting that her relaxer is too strong (like possibly getting her hair too straight. So she is considering a milder relaxer or using a texturizer. It is my understanding that a texturizer and a relaxer are two different types of chemicals; thus, I don't advise it. I think that if she doesn't want it as straight, then she should use her relaxer and not leave it on as long. Just brainstorming....BTW her relaxer is Mizani mild. She asked me what I use but my hair is totally different. I would not advise her to use what I use. My hair would laugh and rollover at a mild relaxer :rofl: and hers would die and fall out at a super strength relaxer :drool: .

A lot of people's nape areas are thinner than the rest of their hair. Some people can thicken up that area like the rest of their hair. But not everybody. I've come to accept that my kitchen is simply a different texture and is thinner--as long as it is healthy and moisturized I've decided to not worry about it too much. She might be on to something with regard to the relaxer being too strong though, especially for that area. If I were you I'd advise her to do like lots of ladies do here, relax it less often and for a shorter length of time than the rest of her hair. Btw, a texturizer is just a relaxer left on for a shorter period of time. Good luck.

Cincysweetie

My mom has thin hair also and I'm always looking for more info. for her on the subject. I think Hopeful raises a good point about relaxer strength, she should def. try a milder relaxer. There are also certain cuts that can make thinner hair appear thicker. Also, I believe there are some products that claim to make the hair appear thicker, such as Nexxus Diametress Shampoo. Maybe you could suggest that to her. Finally...I might would suggest to her that whatever products she does use should be on the lighter side, not too heavy. If she uses heavier products they will just weigh her hair down more and make it appear flat, taking away any thickness she might have. I would suggest to her some lighter oils and moisturizers. Hopefully some of the other ladies will have suggestions also.

Isis

I agree with the previous two ladies and will add using Nexxus Headress (it adds volume and thickness) Leave-in conditioner and drinking about two ounces of carrot juice daily, a natural source of B5 which thickens hair. I read on this board that taking vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) works also.