ACV Rinse???

bludacious

I have never done a AVC rinse. I've already done a search on it, but I want some more feedback on the process that everyone uses. These are my materials that I have:
-ACV
-Suave Clarifying Shampoo
-Nexxus Therappe
-Nexxus Humectress
-Nexxus Headress

Help me out with my proceses. How long should I keep the ACV in my hair? Do I cover my head with a plastic cap? Should I clarify before or after I do the ACV rinse? What is your process of using the ACV?

Neroli

ACV is itself a mild clarifying treatment so I would not use both a clarifying 'poo and ACV at same wash because would be too stripping to the hair. So, use your products in the order listed OR skip the suave 'poo and do:

therappe
ACV rinse
humectress
headdress

As a nexxus junkie, I KNOW the above system works 'cause that's my standard routine. After rinsing out 'poo, just pour ACV rinse over hair until completely saturated than apply humectress on top. I do not rinse out my ACV, just pour over hair, squeeze dry, then apply humectress/conditioner and proceed as usual. The trick with ACV is making sure the solution is not TOO acidic -- you want it to be a pH of between 4.5 to 5.5, anything below 4.5 would be very stripping/drying and anything above 5.5 would not be acidic enough, so precision is important to getting good results. I suggest purchasing pH strips (toys r us, or hobby town here in the ATL metro area has them for about $3) to test the exact pH level. I mix the ACV in distilled water and test pH level with the strips. I gallon of ACV goes about 3 washes for me.

I only use clarifying 'poo like once every 6 weeks or so when I do the hardcore protein, but do the ACV every wash . . .

HTH

HTH!

bludacious

Neroli said:
ACV is itself a mild clarifying treatment so I would not use both a clarifying 'poo and ACV at same wash because would be too stripping to the hair. So, use your products in the order listed OR skip the suave 'poo and do:

therappe
ACV rinse
humectress
headdress

As a nexxus junkie, I KNOW the above system works 'cause that's my standard routine. After rinsing out 'poo, just pour ACV rinse over hair until completely saturated than apply humectress on top. I do not rinse out my ACV, just pour over hair, squeeze dry, then apply humectress/conditioner and proceed as usual. The trick with ACV is making sure the solution is not TOO acidic -- you want it to be a pH of between 4.5 to 5.5, anything below 4.5 would be very stripping/drying and anything above 5.5 would not be acidic enough, so precision is important to getting good results. I suggest purchasing pH strips (toys r us, or hobby town here in the ATL metro area has them for about $3) to test the exact pH level. I mix the ACV in distilled water and test pH level with the strips. I gallon of ACV goes about 3 washes for me.

I only use clarifying 'poo like once every 6 weeks or so when I do the hardcore protein, but do the ACV every wash . . .

HTH

HTH!
Thanks! Do you use a conditioning cap after you apply the Humectress?

Neroli

bludacious said:
Thanks! Do you use a conditioning cap after you apply the Humectress?

Well, if it's a moisturizing condish like humectress, I put on a regular plastic cap and leave on anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, depending on how much time I have. If it's a protein, like emergencee or keraphix, I put the plastic on and sit under hooded dryer for at least 10 - 15 minutes (I learned that for optimal results, proteins really need heat to help penetrate and *bond* to the hair to help strengthen - so I now make a point of using heat with protein condish) Just another gem I learned on this board . . .

HTH

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Neroli-

What measurements of the ACV do you believe you used to get the right ph balance? Have you ever tried to get the strips in CVS or Eckerd's?

TIA

~op~

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
balisi said:
Seems as though Sally Beauty Supply should carry them. I will check for them later today.

Thanks Balisi. I'm about to run out now. I live in Hampton, I don't have a Sally's real close to me(there is one in McDonough). Meanwhile, I will try the drugstores first since they are close.

I've been wanting to get away from the clarifying poos, but have been always nervous :eek: about using the ACV rinse without proper measurements. I'll try to keep track of my measurements and post the results.

Thanks again!

~op~

Neroli

onepraying said:
Thanks Balisi. I'm about to run out now. I live in Hampton, I don't have a Sally's real close to me(there is one in McDonough). Meanwhile, I will try the drugstores first since they are close.

I've been wanting to get away from the clarifying poos, but have been always nervous :eek: about using the ACV rinse without proper measurements. I'll try to keep track of my measurements and post the results.

Thanks again!

~op~

I could not find pH strips at any drugstores (eckerd, cvs, walmart, etc.) but found that aquarium supply stores, hobby shops and toys r us has them as well as online. I suggest checking a local aquarium store in your area along with the drugstore, also online. I didn't check at sally's though, so do let me know if they carry.

IMO, ACVs serves two excellent purposes in my routine (1) it's a *gentle* clarifyer that's not as harsh as the clarifying 'poos and (2) its an excellent *acidifier* that keeps hair pH low. Finally, you just can't beat that super cheap price tag . . .

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Neroli said:
I could not find pH strips at any drugstores (eckerd, cvs, walmart, etc.) but found that aquarium supply stores, hobby shops and toys r us has them as well as online. I suggest checking a local aquarium store in your area along with the drugstore, also online. I didn't check at sally's though, so do let me know if they carry.

IMO, ACVs serves two excellent purposes in my routine (1) it's a *gentle* clarifyer that's not as harsh as the clarifying 'poos and (2) its an excellent *acidifier* that keeps hair pH low. Finally, you just can't beat that super cheap price tag . . .

Okay, I didn't find them at Walmart or Eckerd's which is strange. I forgot about the pet stores. My husband has been an Aquatist and used to get them all the time checking his fish tank(s) water ph level. Maybe they have them in the aquarium section at Walmart!!! They sale all kinds of fish and fishtanks.

I'll get back with y'all.

Meanwhile, I like your routine Neroli thanks for sharing. I printed it out earlier and will give it a try. :up:

~op~

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
UPDATE

I found the strips at Walmart in the pet section. However, they are about 10 bucks and some change. I didn't see how many came in the box, I shook it and it sounded like a lot like MAYBE 10, not sure. I wasn't willing to spend that much. I think I'll add some suave clarifying poo to my moo poo mix and do that today. That way, it's pretty diluted. I'll try again next week on the strips when I'm REALLY out and about.

Thanks again Neroli and thanks Bludacious for the thread.

OnceUponAtime

I have two uses.

Mostly, I use apple cider as a Ph balance. It is my final rinse after I wash or co wash my hair. I use about 1-2 tablespoons per 32 oz. I stopped using it for almost a year and found that my hair was not the same without the rinse. With the rinse, my post washing products seem to take better to my hair.

I, also use it full strength after an Aphogee treatment. I used about a third to a half cup after rinsing the Aphogee with water, let it sit on my hair for a couple of minutes and rinsed with water again. It really made a significant difference in the amount of elasticity in my hair. If you've ever used Aphogee protein treatments, you know the stiffness and dryness can be a problem the first day or so. The full strength rinse, seems to combat it nicely and removed any traces of the treatment.