Adopting a Hair Sister IRL

Eisani

Has anyone ever done this, or at least considered adopting a hair sister IRL?

Last Friday, one of my non-black co-workers came and asked what I did to maintain my hair in both curly and straight styles. I just looked at her for a minute so I guess she could read my puzzled "why?!" face then went on to tell me about her hubby's niece who is biracial, lives w/her mother and step-father who are white and has no one on the black side to help with her hair because they're all boys and her real dad has dreads. She showed me a pic of her hair which she says she's been wearing in one ponytail since she was 2. The girl is now 14 w/some serious dryness and breakage going on :nono:. I felt so bad for her and instantly wanted to help her and give her tips. I gave her links to biracialhair.org, treasured locks, and of course LHCF :grin:. I gave her a few tips and she said she'd give the info to her niece.

She came to work today all excited talking about her niece learned how to properly wash her hair on biracialhair and was so happy! This got me to thinking that I want to adopt her, or someone like her and in the same age range. I told her aunt I have a bunch of hair products too if her mother doesn't want to buy something she wants to try. I told her I'd also do her hair for her if she wants.

I think this is my 2009 resolution- to not worry about my own hair so much and help someone else achieve optimal hair health and have the tools they need to make a permanent change. I will give away or donate anything I do not use to someone who really needs it.

Anyone else wanna do this? We could start a thread with our real life adoptees' listing their starting stats/pics and post updates. I think it would be fun!!

AtlantaJJ

I wish someone would adopt me :look:

ETA: I think its an excellent idea actually I was thinking of this myself the other day. I would love to have a hair friend with hair simular to mine, we could work with each other.

brookse2

It sounds like a great idea, but there are so few people that ask for help. And sometimes if you try to offer help people get offended or don't listen. But if anyone ever asks me what I'm doing to help my hair, I always direct them right here and give them the quick tips (less heat, more deep conditioning, stretching relaxers out).

Eisani

It sounds like a great idea, but there are so few people that ask for help. And sometimes if you try to offer help people get offended or don't listen. But if anyone ever asks me what I'm doing to help my hair, I always direct them right here and give them the quick tips (less heat, more deep conditioning, stretching relaxers out).
That's the thing, if they don't bring it up, how do you approach the subject gently in hopes of them not getting offended...ah well. Thing is, there isn't hardly a day that goes by anymore w/o someone asking me something hair related, even if it's just asking what color I use.

TexturedTresses

girl i've been doing ALL of my friends hair and cousins hair and aunt hair and so on and so forth since i found this site. i'm excited because all of my friend's hair is growing and looking thicker. plus, it give me an excuse to be a pj.

Eisani

girl i've been doing ALL of my friends hair and cousins hair and aunt hair and so on and so forth since i found this site. i'm excited because all of my friend's hair is growing and looking thicker. plus, it give me an excuse to be a pj.
:yep: I've been doing my sis's hair and it's growing like crazy (grows fast anyway). She usually keeps it blunt cut at SL, but she's APL now and claims she's going to let it grow out. Her hair is gorgeous so I hope she means it! Mami is too bossy for me to do her hair so I just give her the products to use :lachen:.

Cien

Pink is my signature color
This is a GREAT idea!! :yep:

However, I'm still not 100% in tune with my own head of hair yet....so if anyone wanna adopt me............. :look:

Real talk!:perplexed:blush::perplexed :lol:

But really tho---I have taken a co-worker/friend of mine under my wing over the last few months. Her hair VERY thick and coarse and she doesn't visit the salon often.

She 'tries' to do it herself, but it appears that she washes her hair about once every two or three weeks.......to the point that you can see the buildup of hair products on her hair. :perplexed:blush::ohwell:
I've given her a few tips and a lot of the hair products that I've accumulated due to pj'ism...and no longer use--plus advice on what items to buy.

She has this shedding situation going on, so I told her about garlic pills...and I also bought her a container of the garlic conditioner in my recent dominican conditioner shopping spree.

I'm sure she won't mind me posting pics of her hair. That's a great idea!
E, I'm in if you get this off the ground! :yep:

now umm...anybody wanna adopt me?

SEMO

I have a couple friends and acquaintances that want to go natural and come to me for advice. My sister-in-law is newly natural and asks me occasionally for advice about my nieces hair (which is just like mine pretty much).

One woman I know is relaxed herself but has a daughter who is 9 and still natural. She said she never met a black woman in real life wearing her hair like mine and wanted to know what she could do to her daughter's hair so she could wear it out (it's cute and very healthy looking but it's always in braids and she wants her to be able to wear it down and curly sometimes).

I gave her a run down on my regimen (and even wrote it down) and gave her a list of websites (I told her about LHCF and about the children's haircare forum on here). But I've never considered taking someone under my wing. I would do this in real life if I was close enough to a little girl who seemed to need it.

P.S.
For those who mentioned getting adopted themselves, there were a couple threads started on here about adopting members. Some volunteered to adopt someone on the site as a lil sister. You could search those threads and try contacting one of them.

Last edited:

TexturedTresses

This is a GREAT idea!! :yep:

However, I'm still not 100% in tune with my own head of hair yet....so if anyone wanna adopt me............. :look:

Real talk!:perplexed:blush::perplexed :lol:

But really tho---I have taken a co-worker/friend of mine under my wing over the last few months. Her hair VERY thick and coarse and she doesn't visit the salon often.

She 'tries' to do it herself, but it appears that she washes her hair about once every two or three weeks.......to the point that you can see the buildup of hair products on her hair. :perplexed:blush::ohwell:
I've given her a few tips and a lot of the hair products that I've accumulated due to pj'ism...and no longer use--plus advice on what items to buy.

She has this shedding situation going on, so I told her about garlic pills...and I also bought her a container of the garlic conditioner in my recent dominican conditioner shopping spree.

I'm sure she won't mind me posting pics of her hair. That's a great idea!
E, I'm in if you get this off the ground! :yep:

now umm...anybody wanna adopt me?

with all that beautiful hair... i know you've got it down pat :grin:. did you do your hair for yourself in your avatar?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Eisani, I need you to adopt me so I can get all of your pj extras :grin:

Cien

Pink is my signature color
with all that beautiful hair... i know you've got it down pat :grin:. did you do your hair for yourself in your avatar?

oooooo sandyrabbit gurrll! :blush::blush: thank you! :blush:

Yes...I did that myself.
Actually that was in January of this year! That was my very first rollerset on mesh rollers.
I was so proud!!! :grin::grin:

However, I had my hair cut several inches to just about neck length in March tho.....split ends and dryness had taken over.

Being that I'm a product junkie, I was doing too much to my hair like: frequent baking soda washes, frequent washes with ayurvedic powders, and not enough clarifying and moisturizing----so my hair suffered and caused a huge setback.

I'm slowly but surely getting ahold of things and my length is almost back.....but I have a LOT to learn!

Don't let that avatar fool you! LOLOL!!! :grin::grin: :lol:

Thanks again for the compliment!! :kiss:

Your hair really pretty btw!!! Wanna adopt me?!! :grin:

TexturedTresses

oooooo sandyrabbit gurrll! :blush::blush: thank you! :blush:

Yes...I did that myself.
Actually that was in January of this year! That was my very first rollerset on mesh rollers.
I was so proud!!! :grin::grin:

However, I had my hair cut several inches to just about neck length in March tho.....split ends and dryness had taken over.

Being that I'm a product junkie, I was doing too much to my hair like: frequent baking soda washes, frequent washes with ayurvedic powders, and not enough clarifying and moisturizing----so my hair suffered and caused a huge setback.

I'm slowly but surely getting ahold of things and my length is almost back.....but I have a LOT to learn!

Don't let that avatar fool you! LOLOL!!! :grin::grin: :lol:

Thanks again for the compliment!! :kiss:

Your hair really pretty btw!!! Wanna adopt me?!! :grin:

thanks for the compliment. i'm glad to hear that your hair is getting back healthy. at least now you know what works for you and what doesn't.

~*Tigget*~

I like this idea. I've been approached in the store, yt lady w/a mixed daughter about hair care. I actually felt privileged for a moment. Then I realized she would have just asked anybody black at that time because my hair isn't near right... :lachen: But from what I have learned here, I shared my opinion anyway.

Akemi

I've been trying o adopt my sisters and my mom. They listen to my suggestions and sometimes try them but they don't really want to put in all the effort needed. I'm still trying, though.

Jassy28

I feel the same way! It seems none of my friends care that much about growing long healthy hair. They are okay with braids and weaves. Thank goodness for LHCF!

I wish someone would adopt me :look:

ETA: I think its an excellent idea actually I was thinking of this myself the other day. I would love to have a hair friend with hair simular to mine, we could work with each other.

bludaydreamr

Aside from friends and family, I have several co-workers that I help or given information, and product to help them build there regimens.

I have been at the same company for 5 years, the more my hair grows the more questions I get. I've been adopting hair sisters and didn't even realize. I feel so blessed to have found LHCF, it's hard not to want to help someone especially if they take genuine interest.

Evolving78

don't nobody want me adopting them. they ask questions, but they don't want the help. i'm not going to try to help anyone else either. that is good OP that you were able to help the girl out. i gave my mother and friend a bunch of advice, sent them a long email explaining different things, and they continue to do the same crap.

joib

I want to adopt a head, oops I mean person:rolleyes:. Do they have to be a child? I know someone that really needs help and has asked me for advice countless times. She is so sweet and patient. I would like to help my 18 year old sister but she said she refuses to walk around with "horsey products and c**chy cream in her hair".:lachen:.

Eisani

I want to adopt a head, oops I mean person:rolleyes:. Do they have to be a child? I know someone that really needs help and has asked me for advice countless times. She is so sweet and patient. I would like to help my 18 year old sister but she said she refuses to walk around with "horsey products and c**chy cream in her hair".:lachen:.

They don't have t/b a child for u to adopt them, that's just where my heart is cuz I'm so over grown folks :laugh:

ladylibra

Has anyone ever done this, or at least considered adopting a hair sister IRL?

Anyone else wanna do this? We could start a thread with our real life adoptees' listing their starting stats/pics and post updates. I think it would be fun!!

yep! i've given out tips here and there... and my sister kinda halfway listens to me :lol:

but a white friend of mine is preggers with a girl, and the dad is black. i was the first one she came to ask about helping with hair, because she said she knew i had the best knowledge on hair PERIOD. so my adoptee will be born around February/March 2009 :grin: and if Mommy agrees, i'll post hair pics (will block out her face though, since she's not my kid).

Eisani

yep! i've given out tips here and there... and my sister kinda halfway listens to me :lol:

but a white friend of mine is preggers with a girl, and the dad is black. i was the first one she came to ask about helping with hair, because she said she knew i had the best knowledge on hair PERIOD. so my adoptee will be born around February/March 2009 :grin: and if Mommy agrees, i'll post hair pics (will block out her face though, since she's not my kid).
Sounds fun! Some days I want another baby :look: then I figure I'd be better off just borrowing someone else's :lachen:

kweenameena

ummm.....can you adopt me??:look: You know I lurves your hair! We're hair sisters.:yep:

I've been doing way too much to my hair and I still can't make APL!:wallbash::wallbash:

Solitude

That was so touching!

I'm taking on my 6-year-old niece's hair for the new year. She's natural, so I have a lot to learn, but I've already learned a lot about great products and techniques for natural hair from you ladies! I plan to take pics of her hair and start her reggie this week.

lwilliams1922

:brainfog:
adoptee:

4a natural
loves kids
willing to learn

trying to figure out the moisture/protein thing
and settle on a daily style that fits and encourages growth/retention.