Advice/insight needed: should i texturize?

Aubergold

I would really really appreciate any help. I am not looking for curly ringlets or wash and wear hair or anything unreasonable like that b/c I have 4a in the crown of my hair and 4b everywhere elso so I know my hair won't look like sareca's or something. I just want my hair to shrink less, get sleeker looking puffs/buns, have my hair be a little softer to the touch, and cut down on styling time. Do ya'll think it would be good idea to texturize? I was thinking of getting affrim and leaving it in for like 2-5 minutes b/c my individual strands are fine. I have pics of my hair in my siggy link ( including a pic of my wet hair) and I just want honest opinions as to how a texturizer would come out.
Any help/advice would ge greatly appreciated.:)

hopeful

I just had to say that your hair is absolutely gorgeous, so thick and lush, very intense. I wish you the best with whatever path you choose. Good luck.

trinigul

Beautiful hair!

Mine isn't as long as yours. I've texturized purely because, like you, I wanted a little less snap back and not ringlets (though I've gotten them with Redken's Spin Control).

I would say texturize (sleekness), but I sure am loving your hair as is.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
RavenIvygurl said:
thanks for the love guys! So you don't think I would end up with some straight pieces b/c of the 4b parts?

I think people are going to refrain from saying 'go head and do it' because texturizing is kind of a crapshoot, especially with 4b hair. I suggest that you search some of the old threads to see if you can find some tips.

Aubergold

thanks.
I've searched around teh forum a lot and have pretty much gotten mixed reviews. I thought I should have a LHCF private consultation on my head, lol. But I feel ya.

GirlywithCurlies

Hey IvyGirl, just keep in mind that texturizing can be completely random process, some parts will do what you "want" and other parts can end up a frizzy mess. Results are largely based on your own hair pattern so unfortunately you won't know what it will look like on you until you do it.

I'm going through a transition from texturized to natural because as my hair grows, it continues to look more and more like a curly/michael jackson type perm instead of a loose/soft 4a pattern. Maybe you could get a strand test to see what it will look like and try incorporating flax seed oil into your diet for softness? But I think you've got a beautiful head of hair as it is.

hopeful

JCoily said:
I think people are going to refrain from saying 'go head and do it' because texturizing is kind of a crapshoot, especially with 4b hair. I suggest that you search some of the old threads to see if you can find some tips.

ITA. RavenIvygurl, maybe you can give us a little more information. Have you ever had a relaxer before and if so what was your experience with that? How important is it to you to maintain thickness and kinkiness? I ask because you need to think about whether you will be heart-broken if you end up more relaxed than texturized. When I texturized briefly last year (by accident, I was trying to relax) I didn't get any straight 4b parts but I was disappointed because I experienced lots of shedding and my texturized hair needed lots of moisture (like natural hair) yet it could not handle frequent conditioner washes. For me it was very frustrating. But I know there are a few people who have successfully done it, but I think they are few and far between. I know it's a hard decision. Have you tried kinky curly's curling custard? It makes my 4a/b hair a little softer and appear a little curlier. Also after I texturized my hair I could not wear twists or braids very well either.

Aubergold

hopeful said:
ITA. RavenIvygurl, maybe you can give us a little more information. Have you ever had a relaxer before and if so what was your experience with that? How important is it to you to maintain thickness and kinkiness? I ask because you need to think about whether you will be heart-broken if you end up more relaxed than texturized. When I texturized briefly last year (by accident, I was trying to relax) I didn't get any straight 4b parts but I was disappointed because I experienced lots of shedding and my texturized hair needed lots of moisture (like natural hair) yet it could not handle frequent conditioner washes. For me it was very frustrating. But I know there are a few people who have successfully done it, but I think they are few and far between. I know it's a hard decision. Have you tried kinky curly's curling custard? It makes my 4a/b hair a little softer and appear a little curlier. Also after I texturized my hair I could not wear twists or braids very well either.

BTW hopeful, your hair looks so soft, lush and pretty. It looks like I could lay down and fall asleep in it.
I probably would be disppointed if I ended up with more relaxed hair b/c I think I look better with bigger hair. When I has a relxer I didn't take care of it at all b/c I never moisturized it, had the Dominicans blow it out every single week even after my every 6 week touch ups where they put the relaxer on my whole head, and let water hit it literally twice a month. So I don't know if my hair doesn't like chemicals or it was just the nonchalance and abuse, you feel me? But yeah, I am not taking this decision lightly cause once it's done it's done. I still want the natural look, just more manageable and soft. After my puff dries up it looks like straw even with gel and the scarf trick. I take 1000mg flaxssed oil, maybe I need to step up the dosage:).

freedom

RavenIvygurl said:
I would really really appreciate any help. I am not looking for curly ringlets or wash and wear hair or anything unreasonable like that b/c I have 4a in the crown of my hair and 4b everywhere elso so I know my hair won't look like sareca's or something. I just want my hair to shrink less, get sleeker looking puffs/buns, have my hair be a little softer to the touch, and cut down on styling time. Do ya'll think it would be good idea to texturize? I was thinking of getting affrim and leaving it in for like 2-5 minutes b/c my individual strands are fine. I have pics of my hair in my siggy link ( including a pic of my wet hair) and I just want honest opinions as to how a texturizer would come out.
Any help/advice would ge greatly appreciated.:)

Ivygurl,
I just texturized my 4a/b hair 3 days ago. It sounds very similair to yours and it was a little straghter than I wanted. I used designer touch texturizing relaxer and followed the directions on the jar, but like I said the front came out a little straighter than I wanted. I can tell you though that I did get everything else that you stated, softer,more manageble hair with just a little bit a texture. I would probably say if you are going to do have a professional do it first with a strand test and ask questions as she is doing it.
Gods blessings to you

hopeful

Thanks for the compliment:). I would just say proceed with caution and whisper a prayer. Maybe give yourself a few months to make the decision. Maybe meet with a few stylists for consults first. But honestly, if I were you, I don't think I would do it unless I was prepared to be relaxed and or willing to bc or transition again. But then my hair is nowhere near as dense as yours so I don't have to detangle it or watch my puff turn to straw:ohwell:. I hope you get a lot more advice.

Cheleigh

Your hair is beautiful. :)

I also think you should factor how long you want to texturize. I see that some people sucessfully texturize for the first year or so, and then the textures start not matching as well (the retouches don't look like the original texturizer) and then people seem to want to either fully relax or transition and BC.

Aubergold

Cheleigh said:
Your hair is beautiful. :)

I also think you should factor how long you want to texturize. I see that some people sucessfully texturize for the first year or so, and then the textures start not matching as well (the retouches don't look like the original texturizer) and then people seem to want to either fully relax or transition and BC.

HMMMM, I definitley didn't think about that. That's a really good point.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
RavenIvygurl said:
thanks.
I've searched around teh forum a lot and have pretty much gotten mixed reviews. I thought I should have a LHCF private consultation on my head, lol. But I feel ya.

I hope I didn't come off as dismissive. I read alot of the texturize/tex-lax threads and I also came up with the feeling that half the people get what they want and the other half just end up with either relaxed hair or a flat out mess.

cmw45

I was in a very very very similar situation. Not only do we have the same hair texture (I swear I thought I was looking at my own head) but the same curl pattern (tightly curled spirals around the outside and kinda zigzaggy toward the crown).

1) Two months ago, I let a stylist put a texturizer in my hair, while I was considering going to Miss Jessie's, because she said all they were doing was a texturizer. Now I wish I had spent the extra money because she didn't take the time to do it correclty and I have a lot of overprocessed and underprocessed areas. I'm not saying I wouldn't do a texturizer again, I'm just saying I would be very careful about who you let mess with your hair if you do.
2) You have absolutely beautiful hair, and I would recceommend checking out some of the non chemical options like crazy curl or the curly butter cream to lessen styling time before I went through wih a chemical.

Best of luck and please update us with your decision.

dimpalz

I kinda feel like everyone'e leaning towards the "do it!" side. I don't know if you transitioned to natural or you've always been that way but you should think about why you're natural in the first place. The upkeep and drama of relaxed hair is what pushed me towards transitioning and I'd never consider going back - not even half way with a texturiser. I have fine strands with an average amount of hair and I'm not even gonna play that roulette and hope there'll be curls left if I ever tried a texturiser I'm thinkin I'd be lucky if I had waves, even leaving it on for 2 minutes. Look at your strands if they're not particularly uniform or coily already they might be most likey to lay flat in a matter of seconds with a texturiser especially as you say you have fine strands. I'm not a crazed kill-all-relaxed-heads kinda girl there are beautiful heads of hair that thrive on relaxers - mine was doing okay - but if you had any types of problems before don't think they wont come back because you only went half way. I wish you all the best of luck but dont make any rash decisions, try to find a trusted stylist who can give you a TRUE idea of what your hair will look like and make sure you explain what you're trying to achieve.

Good luck =)

Aubergold

oooooooo, a hair twin!!!! pm me!! I'm excited!!!

I'm gonna hold off on making a decision until the summer ends. I'm gonna keep taking my MSM and flaxseed and see it they will make my hair softer, then I'm gonna henna and indigo my hair cause I wanna dye it black and possibly make it softer. Then if that doesn't work I'm gonna get some curly pudding/buttercreme, something along those lines. If all those don't work then.......

aileenadq

trinigul said:
Beautiful hair!

I wanted a little less snap back and not ringlets (though I've gotten them with Redken's Spin Control).

OT, but what is "spin control" and when you say it gives you ringlets, are you saying you shingle with it? How do youo use it? I'm dying to do a wash n go on my 3B/C hair, but I need a really good product for my texurized hair b/c it frizzes something awful & has NO curl definition at all! What's the consistency of this stuff? Does it retain moisture?

TIA!

Sarafina

You have gorgeous hair, and heads like you make me want to go natural.

I would definitely recommend a strand test on different sections on your head.

I am texturzied (accidentally) and I do know that different parts of my head are curlier than others. I plan to re-touch in secitons the next time I do mine.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

cmw45

RavenIvygurl said:
oooooooo, a hair twin!!!! pm me!! I'm excited!!!

I'm gonna hold off on making a decision until the summer ends. I'm gonna keep taking my MSM and flaxseed and see it they will make my hair softer, then I'm gonna henna and indigo my hair cause I wanna dye it black and possibly make it softer. Then if that doesn't work I'm gonna get some curly pudding/buttercreme, something along those lines. If all those don't work then.......
Yes...it's been two months since the texturizer and everyone here is trying to get me to relax it all the way or touch up the texturizer...

This was my very first post because I just had to reach out...I saw your pictures and was like...her hair is beautiful...not that sort of envy you that some women get when they look at another woman with a beautiful head of hair...the feeling I had was, '"her hair is so BEAUTIFUL..." I mean, your hair made me proud to be BLACK... and damn certain I was going to go on with my nappy ways.