Should I texturize or not

GoodMernin

Ladies, I am conflicted on whether or not I should texturize my hair!

I have the daggone jar of Linange texturizer in my room and the only thing that is keeping me from doing it is that I don't have neutralizing shampoo and conditioner.

I want to do it because my hair is 4b and about an inch and a half from BSL and okay to manage for the most part but it gets in the way of my exercise schedule.

When I had it in mini braids, I could shampoo once and cowash the other 3 days because I like to exercise and sweat like a hog 4 days a week.

I get tired of the pre poo to flat iron process because it takes soooo long.

And when I comb through my natural hair, a lot more comes out in the pick as opposed to when it is flat ironed.

I just want to loosen it up a bit.

I am conflicted and don't know what road to take. :-/

I am scared to do it because I don't want to lose my hair with the chemicals after all this growing out I have done.

Any advice would help from others who have texturized after being natural or even if you just have a word of advice no matter what your hair situation.

Thanks.

Nonie

My word of advice is to make sure you have the neutralizing shampoo and conditioner if you decide to texturize. Also, research all you can about texturizers and the care involved because it's possible to grow hair with chemicals but those who have success in it have actually done their homework and know what it takes to care for it.

I guess my question is, if mini-braids worked for you, why aren't you in them? In other words, why change what was working? Also, have you asked other 4B-ers with your length how they manage to exercise and still keep their hair manageable? It seems such a drastic change to go from what you know into the unknown just out of sheer frustration or laziness. You mention flatironing...which probably means you like to wear it straight? Why not relax it so you can have it straight then?

GoodMernin

My word of advice is to make sure you have the neutralizing shampoo and conditioner if you decide to texturize. Also, research all you can about texturizers and the care involved because it's possible to grow hair with chemicals but those who have success in it have actually done their homework and know what it takes to care for it.

I guess my question is, if mini-braids worked for you, why aren't you in them? In other words, why change what was working? Also, have you asked other 4B-ers with your length how they manage to exercise and still keep their hair manageable? It seems such a drastic change to go from what you know into the unknown just out of sheer frustration or laziness. You mention flatironing...which probably means you like to wear it straight? Why not relax it so you can have it straight then?

Thanks for responding!

I had it in mini braids for about 5 months and when I took them out, my hair had grown about 2 1/2 inches. I liked them but I got tired of them and started to miss messing around in my hair.

I like to flat iron my hair but I don't want it straight all of the time. And with me in school, taking care of a husband and children, my time is limited and I just want my hair to not be so tight that it takes forever to clear through and the knots that I have to clear out drive me crazy.

I like the way that texturizers seem to give hair the ability to be loosened a bit and not so tight...but I don't want my hair to be relaxed straight.

Also, I like to exercise 4 days a week and really sweat but when I took the braids out, it became nearly impossible because I cannot put so much water to my hair with it being so thick and time consuming to clear through. I have to wash my hair in 6 big braids. I CANNOT wash it totally loosed out.

I'm trying to research it though and so far being on LHCF has taught me how to care for my hair and get it in it's healthy state.

Amerie2304

I texturized this morning out of the blue! But then again I'm rather impulsive...I BC'd 4 months post relaxer out the blue and my mom asked if I needed to talk to someone. :lachen:

Anywho, I've been frustrated with my hair as of late. I thought the longer it gets, the more it would hang from the weight but it seemed to just keep getting thicker and more dense and the only style I really liked was a wash n go puff or bun/pony. I never leave it out. I even got my hair cut at Oiudad to supposedly reduce the bulk and that didn't work either. So after waking up this morning to another failed wash n go attempt, I did a little bit of research on texlaxing and texturizers and decided to buy a texturizer. I bought Soft & Beautiful Botanicals. There were 4 different brands and all the ingredients seemed about the same so I just chose this one cuz I liked the ingredients in the conditioner better (which sucked btw). I parted my hair in 4 sections and did 1 section at a time, 10 minutes each and then washed it out. So far so good! I think I could have let it process longer but I would rather it be underprocessed than overprocessed. I doubt anyone else will notice the difference but I can - my hair looks how it looked before when it was wet but except it's dry! I attached a pic.

Attachments

• Blocked3.JPG
    Blocked3.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 287
  • soft_beautiful_botanicals_texturizer_relaxers.jpeg
    soft_beautiful_botanicals_texturizer_relaxers.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 128

GoodMernin

I texturized this morning out of the blue! But then again I'm rather impulsive...I BC'd 4 months post relaxer out the blue and my mom asked if I needed to talk to someone. :lachen:

Anywho, I've been frustrated with my hair as of late. I thought the longer it gets, the more it would hang from the weight but it seemed to just keep getting thicker and more dense and the only style I really liked was a wash n go puff or bun/pony. I never leave it out. I even got my hair cut at Oiudad to supposedly reduce the bulk and that didn't work either. So after waking up this morning to another failed wash n go attempt, I did a little bit of research on texlaxing and texturizers and decided to buy a texturizer. I bought Soft & Beautiful Botanicals. There were 4 different brands and all the ingredients seemed about the same so I just chose this one cuz I liked the ingredients in the conditioner better (which sucked btw). I parted my hair in 4 sections and did 1 section at a time, 10 minutes each and then washed it out. So far so good! I think I could have let it process longer but I would rather it be underprocessed than overprocessed. I doubt anyone else will notice the difference but I can - my hair looks how it looked before when it was wet but except it's dry! I attached a pic.

It looks really nice!

That is the result I am looking for...looser but still plenty of puff! :yep:

Can you use this thread as an update on how your texturizer is going for you?

Also, what is your natural hair type?

Oh...I saw your hair type in the post just now.

Last edited:

Amerie2304

Thanks! Yes...it is looser but still plenty of puff! I think it'll be okay - I just plan on adding protein to my regimen now. Keep us updated as well!

GoodMernin

Don't do it!!!!!

Now let me go read the OP.

You sound just like that little voice in my head each and every time I say I am gonna do it. :lol:

I figure if something is saying don't do it, why do it? But then I present myself with the texturizer question again.

It has been a vicious cycle for the last few weeks. :perplexed

greenandchic

Thanks for responding!

I had it in mini braids for about 5 months and when I took them out, my hair had grown about 2 1/2 inches. I liked them but I got tired of them and started to miss messing around in my hair.

I like to flat iron my hair but I don't want it straight all of the time. And with me in school, taking care of a husband and children, my time is limited and I just want my hair to not be so tight that it takes forever to clear through and the knots that I have to clear out drive me crazy.

I like the way that texturizers seem to give hair the ability to be loosened a bit and not so tight...but I don't want my hair to be relaxed straight.

Also, I like to exercise 4 days a week and really sweat but when I took the braids out, it became nearly impossible because I cannot put so much water to my hair with it being so thick and time consuming to clear through. I have to wash my hair in 6 big braids. I CANNOT wash it totally loosed out.

I'm trying to research it though and so far being on LHCF has taught me how to care for my hair and get it in it's healthy state.

Many of us here have to wash in sections, be it 3b or 4c, natural, relaxed or texturized. Look around and you will see.

PersuasiveBeauty

LOL AT THE BOLDED!

Amerie2304

@Amerie2304, are you still texturized? What's your regimen? Have you retained length? Any setbacks?

@brittle_hair I am! My regimen is pretty much the same as it was when I was natural except now I use protein (Aphogee 2 min). No setbacks to report yet. I have been noticing some breakage but I think it's because I leave my hair out all the time. I'm pretty sure I'm APL by now - I measured my hair this morning and it's 12 inches. I attached a pic I took back in March and it's def longer since then. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Attachments

• Blocked2.JPG
    Blocked2.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I texturized the front half of my hair, and am now totally satisfied with my hair. I used Linange Shea Butter Texturizer, and mixed in some 3 min Miracle & shea oil (I didn't want to kill my curls, just define them). I love it...it cut the frizz, which is what had been bugging me, and allowed the front half to clump as nicely as the back half. Now my WnG's look sane, and not like I'm about to go mad. The only issue I have is with the SSK's, but that's because I've only been wearing WnG's all summer....even though I know I should stop it at some point... No damage to my hair, or my curls.

brittle_hair

@brittle_hair I am! My regimen is pretty much the same as it was when I was natural except now I use protein (Aphogee 2 min). No setbacks to report yet. I have been noticing some breakage but I think it's because I leave my hair out all the time. I'm pretty sure I'm APL by now - I measured my hair this morning and it's 12 inches. I attached a pic I took back in March and it's def longer since then. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Amerie2304 - That's some really good progress! Good to hear you're still very happy with your decision - how often do you texturize your new growth?