Affirm thins hair???

asubeauty

Today I went to get a touch up at a salon that my friend suggested. The stylist was helpful and my hair was beautiful and silky soft :yay:, but to the point...

The first thing the stylist did when I sat in the chair was take down my ponytail and examine my hair. She asked about my thin ends; I told her that I did not know what caused it, but I was trying to keep them healthier.

I asked the stylist what kind of relaxer she used, she told me that she used a relaxer called Silky Touch. I told her that I've never heard of it, and she told me that a lot of stylists don't use it because it is more expensive than using a relaxer that comes in a tub.

When she asked me what relaxer I've used before, I told her that the stylist I usually go to uses Affirm. Long pause. "Umm, is Affirm bad?" :confused:

She tells me that Affirm works well for some people, but it causes thinning of the hair for the people that it doesn't work for. :eek: She said that after examining my hair, she thinks that is what happened to me. She told me to stop using Affirm and to gradually cut off the hair that was relaxed with Affirm, and my hair should start looking thicker and healthier.

Has anyone ever heard this about Affirm? My hair IS thinner than it used to be, but I thought that it was other mistakes that I was making with my hair.

Also, has anyone ever used Silky Touch relaxer? I like the way my hair turned out. (I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you how pretty my hair came out!!) But, I also liked the way my hair turned out with Affirm.

Any input??

Isis

Is all of your hair thin or just your ends? Did you use Affirm to relax all of your hair at one point? I ask because how can any relaxer thin the ends when it is only used on the new growth, once?

If the relaxer was combed through to the ends every few weeks, then I understand how it could thin the ends (and the rest of the hair).

lexi08

This is what happened to me over time. I used the affirm relaxer for 5 years and my hair did thin out over time. The Affirm relaxers (regular and no lye) also caused my hair to dry out. This is why is do not use Affirm relaxers anymore. I discovered this several years ago. When I moved and started going to another stylist, I complained to her about my hair becoming dryer than usual over the years and also thinning out. She told me it was probably the relaxer. She stated she discountinued using Affirm relaxers on her clients because she noticed dry hair and thining over time also. My current stylist uses Designer Touch or Design Essentials relaxers and my hair is returning back to its original thickness and I am not experiencing as much dryness. Even my mother and grandmother (who pay close attention to my hair,they watch my hair growth like a hawk) have both commented that my hair is getting thicker. Several years ago they were commenting on my hair thinning out. So that is why I will never use any Affirm relaxer products in my hair again.

Premierepearl08

I was natural until November so I'm not that knowledgeable concerning different relaxers, but my stylist used Salon Exclusives No-lye and my hair came out great! I had nice and thick-looking hair (I have fine hair). Just wanted to offer another suggestion of a different relaxer to try. I've not heard of Silky Touch, is that lye or no-lye?

Last edited:

Stormy

Hmm... now I'm starting to wonder if this may be why my hair started thinning out when I started going back to the salon. The stylist always used Affirm.

azul11

I experienced the same result with Affirm. The first time I was impressed it got the hair straight and silky but then over time I really didnt like how thin the hair looked. I left my stylist for that reason and a number of others but since she only used this one for my hair and I felt it was too strong I decided to not try lye again. This is not the case for everyone because some people have had great success with Affirm but I found it made my hair tooo straight and left it without much body or thickness. God bless you all.

asubeauty

Isis said:
Is all of your hair thin or just your ends? Did you use Affirm to relax all of your hair at one point? I ask because how can any relaxer thin the ends when it is only used on the new growth, once?

If the relaxer was combed through to the ends every few weeks, then I understand how it could thin the ends (and the rest of the hair).

Isis, I have NEVER used a relaxer on my ends. I have heard that because the relaxer may touch the ends of your hair while rinsing, it may effect the ends of the hair, I'm really not sure about this.

I have never heard this about Affirm until going to this stylist, but now I see that I am not the only one who has had this problem.

Premiere, Silky Touch is no- lye.

goldensugar23

wow this is very sad to hear but im glad i heard it!!
i have used affirm Moisturizer plus no lye.After a trim my hair was very shiny with lots of movemnt.It did a good job but my hair looked a little dry after the 4 and 5th washing.Im not sure if thats just my hair or the product?? :confused:

I want to mention a dominican relaxer i have used recently.Its called velvetexx.usually after a touch up my hair can look a little thin.Not after this relaxer, my hair was thick and healthy looking.I thought it could use a little more shine though, but i took care of that with a little kera care moisturizer.

Last edited:

simcha

I've had Affirm used on my hair on two seperate occasions by two different hair stylists and both times after about four months, I had breakage by the handfuls (I was afraid to touch my hair), it was dry, and lifeless.

Your ends appear thin because your hair is actually breaking off near the scalp. I had a hairstylist show me by running my fingers down a section of my hair so I could feel how much thicker it was near my scalp and how it gradually thinned out by the time I got to my ends.

I switched relaxers (to Bantu) and stylists and a year later I had to chop off all of the Affirm'd hair. Once I had six or so inches of non-Affirm processed hair which was twice as thick, my hair just looked horrible.

But a lot of people really like Affirm. I won't go near it.

A_Christian

I had to stop using Affirm relaxers as well. My hair would look really good immediately after getting it done but it started thinning out and getting really dry after a few months. My stylist said that she noticed this happening with a lot of her clients who used Affirm.

BAILEYSCREAM

This is my input.

I am speaking from the point of view of someone who has used at least 6 different relaxers in my hair not including texturisers and jherri curl chemicals in the 18 years that I have been chemically processing my hair, but the only reason why I experienced thinning of my ends are because I refused to get my hair ends trimmed.

I don't think that Affirm itself is the culprit. I feel that refusing to cut or trim split ends is the reason why you would have thinning ends because the hair splits up the shaft with time. Your ends won't thin overnight, it's a gradual process no matter what chemicals you use in your hair if you refuse to trim and refuse to protect the ends of your hair.

As far as your stylist/hairdresser or some hairdressers in general. I find that if you request for a relaxer and they don't have it, they will always try to convince you to use what they have in stock. I have been to several, and I mean lots of hairdressers who have tried this trick on me and I use to fall for it hence the fact that I have tried several differnt relaxers in my hair.

Changing chemicals is not good for your hair and depending on your hair type can lead to major breakage.

I have observed this in the time I have been using hairdressers (a very long time), which is why I choose to self-process and trim my own hair.

deborah11

oh my goodness, this is so scary! I got an affirm mild about 4 weeks ago and my hair is extremely thinned out on the back. i have been wondering if the stylist properly neutralized, I am now wondering whether it is the relaxer. My hair has been coming out in long strands. I am really scared. right now I am giving myself a protein treatment and will follow it up with a moisturizing treatment. For those of u that switched, what relaxer are u using? thanks.

Carlie

BAILEYSCREAM said:
I don't think that Affirm itself is the culprit. I feel that refusing to cut or trim split ends is the reason why you would have thinning ends because the hair splits up the shaft with time. Your ends won't thin overnight, it's a gradual process no matter what chemicals you use in your hair if you refuse to trim and refuse to protect the ends of your hair.

As far as your stylist/hairdresser or some hairdressers in general. I find that if you request for a relaxer and they don't have it, they will always try to convince you to use what they have in stock. I have been to several, and I mean lots of hairdressers who have tried this trick on me and I use to fall for it hence the fact that I have tried several differnt relaxers in my hair.

Changing chemicals is not good for your hair and depending on your hair type can lead to major breakage.
:yep: :yep: :yep: I also believe that the stylist would of said that same story no matter what relaxer you said you used. :lol:

To answer your question, "Does Affirm thin hair?" --------

Nope! :look: Well, it definitely hasn't thinned my hair! :grin:

simcha

deborah11 said:
oh my goodness, this is so scary! I got an affirm mild about 4 weeks ago and my hair is extremely thinned out on the back. i have been wondering if the stylist properly neutralized, I am now wondering whether it is the relaxer. My hair has been coming out in long strands. I am really scared. right now I am giving myself a protein treatment and will follow it up with a moisturizing treatment. For those of u that switched, what relaxer are u using? thanks.

I switched back to what I was using before - Bantu. I had the samething with the long strands breaking off. They were on my shower curtain when I washed my hair, they were washing down my body, wrapped around my hands (I had to use toilet paper to wipe all of wet hair off of my hands), in my comb, on the bathroom floor etc...

Trimming did no good just made it shorter and it was still breaking. With the Bantu, I trim my hair two to three times a year and it thriving as it did before the Affirm experience.

I was devastated since at the time my hair was bra-strap length and getting longer thanks in part to having discovered Cathy Howse's book three years before that.

Isis

asubeauty said:
Isis, I have NEVER used a relaxer on my ends. I have heard that because the relaxer may touch the ends of your hair while rinsing, it may effect the ends of the hair, I'm really not sure about this.

I have never heard this about Affirm until going to this stylist, but now I see that I am not the only one who has had this problem.

Premiere, Silky Touch is no- lye.
Thanks for clarifying this Asubeauty. I didn't think you put relaxer on your ends, although I have read of some of the ladies here who used to relax their whole heads of hair every few weeks. I was just wondering how one's ends and hair can get thinner if the relaxer only touches the new growth. Since reading some of the responses here, I see it could happen if hair was lost at the scalp.

I've never used Affirm, just read about it from Cathy Howse (hmm... maybe that's why she's not using relaxers anymore) who highly recommends it in her book.

Last edited:

lexi08

BAILEYSCREAM said:
This is my input.

I am speaking from the point of view of someone who has used at least 6 different relaxers in my hair not including texturisers and jherri curl chemicals in the 18 years that I have been chemically processing my hair, but the only reason why I experienced thinning of my ends are because I refused to get my hair ends trimmed.

I have observed this in the time I have been using hairdressers (a very long time), which is why I choose to self-process and trim my own hair.

In my case I am sure it was the Affirm relaxer. I did not have thinning hair or dryness problem with the prevoius relaxer I had been using for several years. I also have my ends trimmed on a regular basis as well as protect them. My hair did not only thin an the ends, but the length also over time. As far as the availability issue the stylist I go to does have full access to the Affirm relaxers as well as others and she chooses not to use the Affirm relaxers on her clients. Affirm may work well for some but not everyone. I have spoken to several other reputable stylists that have had the same experiences with Affirm. In the years since I have stopped using Affirm my hair is returning to its original thickness.

BAILEYSCREAM

nikki1971 said:
In my case I am sure it was the Affirm relaxer. I did not have thinning hair or dryness problem with the prevoius relaxer I had been using for several years. I also have my ends trimmed on a regular basis as well as protect them. My hair did not only thin an the ends, but the length also over time. As far as the availability issue the stylist I go to does have full access to the Affirm relaxers as well as others and she chooses not to use the Affirm relaxers on her clients. Affirm may work well for some but not everyone. I have spoken to several other reputable stylists that have had the same experiences with Affirm. In the years since I have stopped using Affirm my hair is returning to its original thickness.

I don't get that. If your stylist believes that Affirm thins hair, why does she stock it if she doesn't use it on clients:confused:

Also, as you stated, Affirm may work well for some and not others, so, do what's best for you.;)

asubeauty

BAILEYSCREAM said:

I have never had a problem with trimming my ends. I have gone from brastrap to above armpit length in the past two years by trimming off thin, raggedy, or uneven ends. I wasn't sure why my ends were getting thin, because I've probably used direct heat about 5 times in the past two years. I was thinking that it was wrapping my hair every nite (but I quit when I heard that thin ends may result from this habit). That was why I was not sure why my ends were thinning.

BAILEYSCREAM

asubeauty said:
I have never had a problem with trimming my ends. I have gone from brastrap to above armpit length in the past two years by trimming off thin, raggedy, or uneven ends. I wasn't sure why my ends were getting thin, because I've probably used direct heat about 5 times in the past two years. I was thinking that it was wrapping my hair every nite (but I quit when I heard that thin ends may result from this habit). That was why I was not sure why my ends were thinning.

Asubeauty,

I read on another thread that pantothenic acid will thicken up your hair. Here's the thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50250

Nyambura and Dana03 state that they have seen thicker hair by using B5/Pantothenic acid. My current supplements have 2000% US RDV of Pantothenic acid so I won't be buying any extra supplements thank goodness. But check out that thread, it's very informative:)

simcha

BAILEYSCREAM said:
I don't get that. If your stylist believes that Affirm thins hair, why does she stock it if she doesn't use it on clients:confused:

Also, as you stated, Affirm may work well for some and not others, so, do what's best for you.;)

I had a stylist who stocked Affirm (she was in a large salon in Beverly Hills) but didn't like to use it but had clients who insisted on her using it. She liked to use Elucence but my hair didn't agree with that either (same result, just not as severe) I had to bring my own supply of Bantu in. Eventually she begin to stock the Bantu.

They stock whatever their clients demand they stock. A shampoo girl told me that a lot of her clients had a lot of breakage (Elucence). She admitted secretly that she not only preferred the smell of the Bantu but also the feel of my hair and the lack of breakage.

In the end you have to be proactive and know what works for you. I had other stylists use Bantu on my hair but because they insisted that I had coarse hair they ended up over processing it. Even over processed (with Bantu) my hair did no react the way it did to Affirm. Thank goodness I found someone who gets my hair! And Bantu is one of her staples. Anyway, this is just my two cents...

BAILEYSCREAM

simcha said:
I had a stylist who stocked Affirm (she was in a large salon in Beverly Hills) but didn't like to use it but had clients who insisted on her using it. She liked to use Elucence but my hair didn't agree with that either (same result, just not as severe) I had to bring my own supply of Bantu in. Eventually she begin to stock the Bantu.

They stock whatever their clients demand they stock. A shampoo girl told me that a lot of her clients had a lot of breakage (Elucence). She admitted secretly that she not only preferred the smell of the Bantu but also the feel of my hair and the lack of breakage.

In the end you have to be proactive and know what works for you. I had other stylists use Bantu on my hair but because they insisted that I had coarse hair they ended up over processing it. Even over processed (with Bantu) my hair did no react the way it did to Affirm. Thank goodness I found someone who gets my hair! And Bantu is one of her staples. Anyway, this is just my two cents...

Interesting. I keep seeing Bantu relaxer. Is this a new brand or something? I've seen it mentioned now in three posts so far this week. Before this I had never heard of it.

lexi08

BAILEYSCREAM said:

The salon owner keeps the relaxer in stock because some clients do specifically request this relaxer.

simcha

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Interesting. I keep seeing Bantu relaxer. Is this a new brand or something? I've seen it mentioned now in three posts so far this week. Before this I had never heard of it.

No. It's been around for years, it's just not that popular. My favorite hair stylist turned me on to it in 1995. She was my former stylist's assistant and had earned her own chair in the salon. She felt my hair would benefit more from it then the Optimum I was using. Between that and some tips from Cathy Howse I thought I was good to go. After she disappeared, in 1998, Affirm was the rage with, what seemed to be most of the stylists in Los Angeles. After a PAINFUL journey, hopping from stylists to stylists (I tried self relaxing but I'm pretty challenged when it comes to my hair) I started micro-managing them and thanks to the ladies at LHCF I found my new (and if she disappears I don't know what I'm going to do) stylist last spring. Thank you ladies!

Sorry about that lengthy post. I'm not sure why it's not that well known. It may have to do with marketing or it may just not work that well on most people's hair.

superstar

I started growing out my relaxer because my hair was thinning out. My beautician used Affrim no-lye on me for about 8 yrs since I was in 6th or 7th grade. Prior to that my hair was super duper thick, so thick that people would ask me my secret. My hair was always about shoulder length but the thickness was my pride. But gradually as the years went by my hair thinned out. It wasn't overnight

But since my hair was so thick I use to get a relaxer every 5 to 6 weeks so that could've been in conjunction with the relaxer. I don't know but it is a coinkydink :ohwell: things happen for a reason because if I wasn't "burnt out" from relaxers I wouldn't transioned. And Pantoentic acid does work because I'm taking it now and I can see when I take my braids out where the the B5 plumped up my hair.

LoriLOCX

I've used many relaxers over the years...MANY YEARS....tellin' me age now...Ultra-Sheen, Revlon Realistic, Optimum, Bantu, Elasta, Raveen, At-One, Vigorol, Dudley's, more...I can't remember...ending with Affirm.

Here's an important note about AFFIRM. Many salons try to cut their overhead cost when administering an AFFIRM relaxer by skipping the reconstructor step BEFORE neutralizing. AVOIDANCE OF THIS STEP over time will cause the hair to thin out. It is crucial that for thin hair, you use the 5-1 Reconstructor, or for med/thick/coarse hair, you use the Posi-Link Reconstructor BEFORE neutralizing.

I too experienced thinning, but I liked the results of the relaxer. I ordered the product myself and found that extra step through reading Avlon's instructions. I WAS MAD!!! Anyway, I started doing my own, and over time, I could see my thickness returning. I pay VERY close attention to the timing of it on my head.

Guess my hair doesn't go through any dryness because I moisturize and condition the h*&"l out of my hair daily.

....However, a coupla "pusha's" here have peaked my curiousity about PHYTO. I read the materials about it (thanks to LCHF members with many links). Sounds like a more natural product with great results.

asubeauty

LoriLOCX said:
Here's an important note about AFFIRM. Many salons try to cut their overhead cost when administering an AFFIRM relaxer by skipping the reconstructor step BEFORE neutralizing. AVOIDANCE OF THIS STEP over time will cause the hair to thin out. It is crucial that for thin hair, you use the 5-1 Reconstructor, or for med/thick/coarse hair, you use the Posi-Link Reconstructor BEFORE neutralizing.

:eek: What!?!?!?!? I don't remember my stylist using a reconstuctor EVERY time. She told me that it was a conditioner, and I do remember her putting me under the dryer for about 3 min (sometimes she didn't). Lori, how does this reconstructer work?? Does it need heat? Is it creamy or more liquid-like?? Maybe my (old) stylist didn't do this step correctly. If she didn't... :spank: :censored: :cry2: :whip:

AJamericanDiva

Constantly I've been hearing about members who've said their hairdressers asked them if they wanted the reconstructor and would charge them extra. This is a mandatory step in the Affirm relaxing process. It should be applied after the relaxer is rinsed from the hair. The reconstructor is applied to the head and covered with a plastic cap for 5 minutes. Once it is rinsed out, then the neutralizing shampoo is used. These are the instructions that are on the relaxer as well as on the 5- in-1. This is NOT optional. I have the reconstructor.

LoriLOCX

That's right!!! It is NOT optional. This is what causes that invisible thinning over time. You don't notice it until your hair has really grown out. Notice....it GROWS, but it's THIN....good stuff, but that step is crucial.
5-1 is like lotiony, and comes in a bottle...almost the texture of the KeraCare hydrating shampoo, but it's a reconstructor. Posi-Link is a thicker cream in a jar, a reconstructor, but for med/thick-coarse hair.

ElizaBlue

LoriLOCX said:
That's right!!! It is NOT optional. This is what causes that invisible thinning over time. You don't notice it until your hair has really grown out. Notice....it GROWS, but it's THIN....good stuff, but that step is crucial.
5-1 is like lotiony, and comes in a bottle...almost the texture of the KeraCare hydrating shampoo, but it's a reconstructor. Posi-Link is a thicker cream in a jar, a reconstructor, but for med/thick-coarse hair.

LoriLOCX,

I've been using the 5&1, but are you saying it's not for coarse hair. What is the difference between the two. It's very hard to get information on the products from the Sheeldez website. Please explain.

It's funny but my hair and my daughter's has thinned out considerable. My hair use to be very thick when I used the Soft & Beautiful box relaxer. My ends are thin but their also 3 years old.

tryn2growmyhair

LoriLOCX said:
I've used many relaxers over the years...MANY YEARS....tellin' me age now...Ultra-Sheen, Revlon Realistic, Optimum, Bantu, Elasta, Raveen, At-One, Vigorol, Dudley's, more...I can't remember...ending with Affirm.

I too experienced thinning, but I liked the results of the relaxer. I ordered the product myself and found that extra step through reading Avlon's instructions. I WAS MAD!!! Anyway, I started doing my own, and over time, I could see my thickness returning. I pay VERY close attention to the timing of it on my head.

Guess my hair doesn't go through any dryness because I moisturize and condition the h*&"l out of my hair daily.

....However, a coupla "pusha's" here have peaked my curiousity about PHYTO. I read the materials about it (thanks to LCHF members with many links). Sounds like a more natural product with great results.

I have NEVER had a stylist do this and I have gone to some of the fanciest salons on the East Coast. It is downright jacked up that they would skip this step considering the money that they charge! No wonder my hair has thinned out so much! I will demand this the next time that I go to the salon.