Affirm thins hair???

Neroli

tryn2growmyhair said:
I have NEVER had a stylist do this and I have gone to some of the fanciest salons on the East Coast. It is downright jacked up that they would skip this step considering the money that they charge! No wonder my hair has thinned out so much! I will demand this the next time that I go to the salon.

My dominician stylist did this ONCE (skipped the 5 in1!) when I INSISTED she use the reconstructor, she admitted she didn't have any!!!! Anywho, since then, I ordered the complete affirm line (I use mild, with 5 in 1) from sheldez and now take the entire system with me on touch-up day. Period! I INSIST they use MY stuff and follow MY directions to a T. This is MY hair we're doing here! Anyway, I was outrage, although my hair didn't seem to suffer any ill effects--it was only once; however, can see how over time this would cause a problem. I am so jaded and disillusioned by stylist and so-called hair care "professionals" that I wouldn't take their word on ANYTHING -- I check and double check WHATEVER they tell me 'cause they've been pretty much WRONG on pretty much EVERYTHING regarding MY hair for the last two decades -- it is only when I started taking CONTROL of my hair (like buying my own relaxer system and insisting they follow the DANG directions!) that my hair has been florishing . . .

Can ya tell I don't think much of these folks? Once I STOPPED listening to them and basically ignore their so-called advice, my hair has never been longer or healthier. Take ANYTHING they say with spoonfuls of salt and triple check their facts . . . just my two cents . . .

simcha

Looking back, not one of those two stylists put a plastic bag on my head and I'm not even sure if the last one even included this step. :mad:

The last stylist who used it on my hair actually asked me once "why is your hair breaking so much?" I thought to myself "because I've been letting you do my hair!" Needless to say that was the last time I went to her.

That could explain a lot.

simcha

Neroli said:
Can ya tell I don't think much of these folks? Once I STOPPED listening to them and basically ignore their so-called advice, my hair has never been longer or healthier. Take ANYTHING they say with spoonfuls of salt and triple check their facts . . . just my two cents . . .

I have to agree! I check to make sure they are using the products I asked them to and I actually time them and have them show me how much they are cutting off. I have somewhat perfected everything else so I only go to them for my touch-ups or a to even up my ends (not dustings though, I do those myself). Since, my current stylist is such a sweetheart and has never tried to argue with me or act like I'm crazy (she told me "you're the client. It's whatever you want.") and she compliments my progress and dispenses tips readily, I'm going to stick with her. But I think if she disappears, I'll work on perfecting my own touch-ups.

For many stylists, I have to admit I am their worst nightmare!

tryn2growmyhair

Neroli said:
My dominician stylist did this ONCE (skipped the 5 in1!) when I INSISTED she use the reconstructor, she admitted she didn't have any!!!! Anywho, since then, I ordered the complete affirm line (I use mild, with 5 in 1) from sheldez and now take the entire system with me on touch-up day. Period! I INSIST they use MY stuff and follow MY directions to a T. This is MY hair we're doing here! Anyway, I was outrage, although my hair didn't seem to suffer any ill effects--it was only once; however, can see how over time this would cause a problem. I am so jaded and disillusioned by stylist and so-called hair care "professionals" that I wouldn't take their word on ANYTHING -- I check and double check WHATEVER they tell me 'cause they've been pretty much WRONG on pretty much EVERYTHING regarding MY hair for the last two decades -- it is only when I started taking CONTROL of my hair (like buying my own relaxer system and insisting they follow the DANG directions!) that my hair has been florishing . . .

Preach, sista, preach! What is really jacked up is that this 5-in-1 is probably considered an additional conditioner and some of these companies charge $40 extra for a deep conditioner!

Ronda123

simcha said:
Looking back, not one of those two stylists put a plastic bag on my head and I'm not even sure if the last one even included this step. :mad:

The last stylist who used it on my hair actually asked me once "why is your hair breaking so much?" I thought to myself "because I've been letting you do my hair!" Needless to say that was the last time I went to her.

That could explain a lot.

I totally agree with you, before I started transitioning, the stylist I went to used Affirm relaxers and she never included this step. :mad: My hair thinned out over the years due to her skipping this step. :mad:

This is one of my many reasons for transitioning.

BklynHeart

AJamericanDiva said:
Constantly I've been hearing about members who've said their hairdressers asked them if they wanted the reconstructor and would charge them extra. This is a mandatory step in the Affirm relaxing process. It should be applied after the relaxer is rinsed from the hair. The reconstructor is applied to the head and covered with a plastic cap for 5 minutes. Once it is rinsed out, then the neutralizing shampoo is used. These are the instructions that are on the relaxer as well as on the 5- in-1. This is NOT optional. I have the reconstructor.

Exactly!! When my hairdresser did my relaxer she followed the steps to a tee. Unfortunately, she charged me extra for the conditioner, even though its mandatory.:confused: But I must admit I used Revlon Mild for 10 years and never had a problem with it, even when I had weird shedding issues. I went to a Black dermatologist and she told me that Revlon was perfectly fine for me. I may go back to it. I've also noticed for me that my perm lasts longer with Revlon than with Affirm.

lexi08

BklynHeart said:
Exactly!! When my hairdresser did my relaxer she followed the steps to a tee. Unfortunately, she charged me extra for the conditioner, even though its mandatory.:confused: But I must admit I used Revlon Mild for 10 years and never had a problem with it, even when I had weird shedding issues. I went to a Black dermatologist and she told me that Revlon was perfectly fine for me. I may go back to it. I've also noticed for me that my perm lasts longer with Revlon than with Affirm.

The Revlon mild relaxer was the relaxer my stylist used on a my hair years ago. My hair was at its best during those years. Another relaxer that worked well for me in the past is Designer Touch.

MeccaMedinah

I do not relax my hair. But I have a cousin who swears by Affirm and I've noticed how thin her hair is getting. I never thought that it was Affirm specifically I just assumed it was the relaxer in general. I think I'll put a bug in her ear now.

Yea affirm made myuhair really thin and flat. I dunno if it because my beautitian left it in there slow ong or because of the perm itself. I remember sitting under the dryer with conditioner on my hair though,

LoriLOCX

5 in 1 Reconstructor for damaged or fine limp hair is a blend of conditioners that normalizes the hair porosity as part of the AFFIRM Conditioning Relaxer Treatment. It repairs dmanaged areas,minimizes breaking and sheeding, re-aligns, seals and smooths the cuticle cells, and improves surface porosity.

The Posi-Lin (Positive Link) was formulated specifically for medium to coarse hair. After rinsing your relaxer, your hair is probably still around a pH10 level and your cuticles are partially open. This conditions can effectively penetrate the hairshaft and restore your hair to its proper acid balance of pH4.5.

This info was semi-taken from the back labels. I will dig into my stash and post more info for you soon.

If you have thick hair, you should not be using the 5 in 1. Get the Positive Link. I would think that thin/fine hair can't take the conditioning needs of thicker hair, so you may not have been getting enough moisturizer/conditioner.

ElizaBlue said:
LoriLOCX,

I've been using the 5&1, but are you saying it's not for coarse hair. What is the difference between the two. It's very hard to get information on the products from the Sheeldez website. Please explain.

It's funny but my hair and my daughter's has thinned out considerable. My hair use to be very thick when I used the Soft & Beautiful box relaxer. My ends are thin but their also 3 years old.

LoriLOCX

I don't have time to post them at the moment, but I will in this thread either tonight or tomorrow....promise.
LL

tryn2growmyhair said:
Does anyone have a link to these instructions? I would like to take them with me to the salon during my next visit.

Nanyanika

This is the professional user guide for the Affirm Conditioning RElaxer System with Protecto. THis is what is printed under the section "How to apply Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System."

If using Moisture Plus dry Hair & SEnsitive Scalp formula, before use, the relaxer creme must be thoroughly mixed with the liquid activator.

Step 1 Protecto Application:
Apply an amount about the size of silver dollar into palm and rub hands together. Gently work throughout entire head of hair, especially to the new growth area. Do not massage to avoid scalp irritation, Comb through gently using shampoo comb to distribute.

Step 2 Creme Relaxer Application:
Apply ample amount of relaxer to thinly-parted sections of hair using an application brush or back of a rattail comb. Begin with the back sections, working downards from the crown area. Proceed to the front sections, working from the crown forward. Apply to the hairline areas last. Avoid applying the relaxer directly to the scalp. For retouches, apply relaxer creme to new growth only. Avoid overlapping onto previously relaxed hair. After application is complete, smooth the relaxer with the back of a rattail comb, using thin partings and working in the same direction as during application. After desired straightening is achieved, rinse relaxer completely from hair with warm water.

Step 3 5 in 1 Reconstructor and/or Positive Link Application:
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor if hair is fine or limp; Positive Link if hair is medium or coarse; 5 in 1 and Positive Link, in half-and-half mixture if hair is slightly damaged. WAit five minuts and rinse hair well.

Step 4 Normalizing Shampoo:
Shampoo all areas of hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly and repeat. (Lather will be pink if relaxer traces remain, and white when hair is completely neutralized.) Style and Finish with KeraCare maintenace items.

For Affirm Lye in Mild Formula, the timing guide on back recommends 13 minutes.

quoted from a member on LHCF

LoriLOCX

Since the instructions have already been posted here, I just want to give you a little more info on the individual products that go with the relaxer system. Step One - Protecto is just as crucial as the reconstructor. I would use atleast 2 capfuls and apply to the entire hair....root-to-end:
=======================================================

Affirm® Protecto
A patented organic BiocompHlex, applied along the entire hairshaft, especially to new growth area, prior to relaxing.
Rich, positively-charged compounds attach electronically to negative sites along the hairshaft.
Penetrates deep within the hair fiber during relaxing. (Protector® accomplishes significant conditioning at this stage because during the straightening process, the hair's pH is relatively high (13.0-13.5) and the cuticles are open wide).
Effectively repairs trichorrhexis nodosa (damaged areas along the hairshaft), resulting in a smooth realignment of damaged fibers. Flyaway split ends are repaired as well.
Eases wet combing and minimizes shedding.

Affirm® 5 in 1 Reconstuctor For Damaged or Fine, Limp Hair
A unique blend of micro- and macrofibrous conditioners that is applied immediately after rinsing the relaxer from the hair and before the normalizing shampoo.
Normalizes the pH of hair while substantive conditioners are deposited well within the hair fiber. [Deep conditioning is still possible at this stage because of the upper mantle of the hair is still alkaline (approximate pH of 10.0) and the cuticles remain partially open.
Re-aligns, seals and smoothes cuticles.
Detangles.
Imparts body and volumizes fine, limp hair.
Enhances shine.

Affirm® Positive Link® Conditioner For Medium to Coarse Hair
Applied immediately after Affirm® Creme Relaxer is rinsed from hair. [At this stage, the hair is still alkaline, (pH 10) and cuticles remain partially open, allowing the most effective penetration of micro and macro-conditioners.]
Restores hair to its proper pH of 4.5 - 5.5.
Re-aligns, firms and seals cuticles to enhance shine.
Highly Recommended for Regular Salon Services As a Deep Penetrating Moisturizing Conditioner.
Hydrates and softens dry, brittle hair.
Repairs damaged areas within and on the surface of the hair shaft.
Imparts a beautiful shine.
Eases combing and eliminates static electricity.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks to all who posted the instructions. I am wondering if I should switch from Affirm. I have stayed with it since the bad old days when cheap hairstylists used to use Revlon super on my hair. I have never seen a stylist do all of these things. If I am lucky, they have used 5 in 1 after they washed my hair (and you never know what is really in those shampoo bottles) but they have NEVER done all of these steps! This is why I hate stylists! They are always trying to cut corners! If I could I would relax myself but I am scared to do so.

LoriLOCX

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks to all who posted the instructions. I am wondering if I should switch from Affirm. I have stayed with it since the bad old days when cheap hairstylists used to use Revlon super on my hair. I have never seen a stylist do all of these things. If I am lucky, they have used 5 in 1 after they washed my hair (and you never know what is really in those shampoo bottles) but they have NEVER done all of these steps! This is why I hate stylists! They are always trying to cut corners! If I could I would relax myself but I am scared to do so.

The reconstructor alone costs just as much as the relaxer. That's why they skip it. It's really REALLY good stuff. The protecto is used BEFORE the relaxer goes on. It's definitely DEFINITELY needed.

Don't be scared to do it yourself. There's really nothing to it. If you can deep condition your hair, you can relax it. Try it. Use a conditioner for practice. Put on a timer, apply and smooth conditioner over your hair as you think you would apply a relaxer....smoothing each section as you go. You'll see. You'll be a pro in no time. I've been relaxing heads since I was 14.

winterinatl

All natural!
I thought I saw some one post that they went from no-lye to lye , or from lye to no-lye? This sometimes causes breakage. Also, I thought someone here had a no-lye version of Affirm, I've never used that.

But I have been on Affirm Fiberguard, sensitive scalp (mild?). I have shedding, and breakage, but I attribute those things to other factors of life (questionable nutrition, twirling my hair, ponytails, seasons) rather than this particular brand of relaxer. Plus, I've tried others and this is by far the best - most consistent results for my hair.

I always observe my stylist putting on some yummy smelling pre-conditioner before the relaxer (this is the 'figerguard' part, I gather) then I sit, rinse, and get the reconstructor, neutrilizer, then deep condition.

I am surprised (by my above post) at how unsure I am about all the specifics...I have been lucky, from reading some of your posts...she could have skipped those steps and I would not have noticed!

ElizaBlue

LoriLOCX said:
5 in 1 Reconstructor for damaged or fine limp hair is a blend of conditioners that normalizes the hair porosity as part of the AFFIRM Conditioning Relaxer Treatment. It repairs dmanaged areas,minimizes breaking and sheeding, re-aligns, seals and smooths the cuticle cells, and improves surface porosity.

The Posi-Lin (Positive Link) was formulated specifically for medium to coarse hair. After rinsing your relaxer, your hair is probably still around a pH10 level and your cuticles are partially open. This conditions can effectively penetrate the hairshaft and restore your hair to its proper acid balance of pH4.5.

This info was semi-taken from the back labels. I will dig into my stash and post more info for you soon.

If you have thick hair, you should not be using the 5 in 1. Get the Positive Link. I would think that thin/fine hair can't take the conditioning needs of thicker hair, so you may not have been getting enough moisturizer/conditioner.

Got it, thanks Lori.

ElizaBlue

den1 said:
This is the professional user guide for the Affirm Conditioning RElaxer System with Protecto. THis is what is printed under the section "How to apply Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System."

If using Moisture Plus dry Hair & SEnsitive Scalp formula, before use, the relaxer creme must be thoroughly mixed with the liquid activator.

Step 1 Protecto Application:
Apply an amount about the size of silver dollar into palm and rub hands together. Gently work throughout entire head of hair, especially to the new growth area. Do not massage to avoid scalp irritation, Comb through gently using shampoo comb to distribute.

Step 2 Creme Relaxer Application:
Apply ample amount of relaxer to thinly-parted sections of hair using an application brush or back of a rattail comb. Begin with the back sections, working downards from the crown area. Proceed to the front sections, working from the crown forward. Apply to the hairline areas last. Avoid applying the relaxer directly to the scalp. For retouches, apply relaxer creme to new growth only. Avoid overlapping onto previously relaxed hair. After application is complete, smooth the relaxer with the back of a rattail comb, using thin partings and working in the same direction as during application. After desired straightening is achieved, rinse relaxer completely from hair with warm water.

Step 3 5 in 1 Reconstructor and/or Positive Link Application:
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor if hair is fine or limp; Positive Link if hair is medium or coarse; 5 in 1 and Positive Link, in half-and-half mixture if hair is slightly damaged. WAit five minuts and rinse hair well.

Step 4 Normalizing Shampoo:
Shampoo all areas of hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly and repeat. (Lather will be pink if relaxer traces remain, and white when hair is completely neutralized.) Style and Finish with KeraCare maintenace items.

For Affirm Lye in Mild Formula, the timing guide on back recommends 13 minutes.

quoted from a member on LHCF

Den, thank you. I don't know if I've ever even seen these directions. I order from Sheldeez and I only get the tub. Where did you find these?

tryn2growmyhair

LoriLOCX said:
The reconstructor alone costs just as much as the relaxer. That's why they skip it. It's really REALLY good stuff. The protecto is used BEFORE the relaxer goes on. It's definitely DEFINITELY needed.
QUOTE]
Thanks for the tips. I am still too scared to relax but I must say that I have NEVER had a stylist use protecto without my asking first, so I have had to buy my own protecto and apply it before getting to the salon.

I have gone to some of the best salons in my town -- I mean paying close to $200 for a relaxer -- and these cheapies still try to save money by not using this stuff. It is really annoying.

I have a question for all of you. I have fine, thin, dry, type 4b hair. Which should I ask the stylist to use, Positive Link or 5-in-1? Also, I know that this should happen BEFORE neutralizing. Once the neutralizing shampoo has been used, what conditioner should they put in my hair or is it not necessary for them to use another conditioner? TIA.

Thanks again for all of the advice. :kiss: This has been really helpful and maybe I can finally rid myself of all the thinning that I have been experiencing between Dominican blowouts (which have been almost completely eliminated from my regimen -- I have not had one since October!) and Affirm relaxers that were being improperly applied without my knowledge.

kitchen_tician

tryn2growmyhair said:
I have a question for all of you. I have fine, thin, dry, type 4b hair. Which should I ask the stylist to use, Positive Link or 5-in-1? Also, I know that this should happen BEFORE neutralizing. Once the neutralizing shampoo has been used, what conditioner should they put in my hair or is it not necessary for them to use another conditioner? TIA.

Supposedly, Positive link is for coarser, thicker hair and 5 n 1 is for thinner hair. I use 5 n 1.

lonesomedove

Sorry to sound ignorant, but my stylist uses Affirm no lye on my hair. Is it the same steps? Should she also be using the reconstructor? I know she uses the protecto and humecto, but don't remember her using the reconstructor at all. Thanks.

LoriLOCX

tryn2growmyhair: You are very welcome. :)

lonesomedove: No matter which formula you use (other than FiberGuard), you MUST use either 5 in 1 or Positive Link. This step is what immediately restores the hair back to the proper pH. And it's protein, so it works to strength right away since relaxers break down the hair bonds.

ElizaBlue You're very welcome. :)

overnightcelebrity: There's no way I would allow anyone to put me under a dryer with a conditioner the same day I relax. Besides, you don't need to condition after following the correct steps. You have conditioned your hair all through the process....starting with the PROTECTO.

I went to a cosmetology school to learn more about hair. Unfortunately for me, they concentrated on caucasian hair. I, being the rebel that I was, got hold of Avlon and had a representative come to my class and provide us with a full product line course and demonstration. This is where I learned the most about all Avlon, KeraCare, FiberGuard - which I have used, and FERM products. I've never used FERM - thio-based.

Last edited:

Nsslovely

Dubois007 said:
I wonder if Motion Relaxer does the same thing, thinning hair...
When Motions originally introduced their relaxer back in 97-98, their process was similar: Relax, Condition, Neutralize, Condition again, there were'nt any reconstructors in their line then.

AJamericanDiva

tryn2growmyhair said:
Preach, sista, preach! What is really jacked up is that this 5-in-1 is probably considered an additional conditioner and some of these companies charge $40 extra for a deep conditioner!

See, that's what enraged me... I read about another member who was asked if they wanted the reconstructor which was an extra charge. This is NOT an optional step. I hate people that try to get you like that.

tryn2growmyhair

AJamericanDiva said:
See, that's what enraged me... I read about another member who was asked if they wanted the reconstructor which was an extra charge. This is NOT an optional step. I hate people that try to get you like that.
I completely agree. If I could relax my hair without worrying about it falling out, believe me, I would. I would wind up saving so money! But my hair is doing well right now and I don't want to jack things up.

It's sad because I work so hard on my hair and I think that this might b e one of the reasons why my hair is so thin. I also used to get my hair relaxed every six weeks -- now I'm at 8 or nine.

Also, is there a conditioner that is supposed to go on once the neutralizing shampoo has washed out the 5-in-1?

LoriLOCX

tryn2growmyhair said:
I completely agree. If I could relax my hair without worrying about it falling out, believe me, I would. I would wind up saving so money! But my hair is doing well right now and I don't want to jack things up.

It's sad because I work so hard on my hair and I think that this might b e one of the reasons why my hair is so thin. I also used to get my hair relaxed every six weeks -- now I'm at 8 or nine.

Also, is there a conditioner that is supposed to go on once the neutralizing shampoo has washed out the 5-in-1?

Hey tryn2growmyhair.....
You could always buy the 5 in 1 and bring it with you. Betcha' she'd be very surprised you even have it!! :mad: Fortunately, no additional conditioning is necessary after rinsing out your normalizing shampoo.

As with any relaxer, you will need to handle your hair gently after the process is completed. Just make sure that you do a reconstructor/protein treatment followed by a deep conditioning treatment, the NEXT time you wash your hair.