Afraid to continue with my Big Chop...

nikki2229

Tey, your hair is beautiful.
Looks like a 4a to me.
Finish your chop and get a wig/braids.
You will look pretty even if you rock your TWA.

Nina_deF

First of all you would definitely NOT look like a boy........at all. Get the right products to get them coils shinin and moisturized do some cute makeup with some nice earrings and a cute outfit and people will be askin you when you flew in from New York:cool2:

I know what its like to feel like:ohwell: about a hair decision.....I'm always like that about things I do to my hair.....go with what feels right.....I feel like since you already started cutting may as well follow through and just chop all the way....if you're not comfortable with it yet do a cute braid style or wig it.....but give yourself time to adjust to it and you may find yourself in love!:yep:

Oh, and your hair type is type 4a just like me!;)

ITA ^.

When I BC:ed I had my braiding hair next to me, in case I hated my hair.
I figured it would be easier to braid with shorter hair anyway!
I did, however, if not fall in love, loved playing with my natural texture.

I had forgotten what I REALLY looked like!

yeahisaidit

By the look of your avatar, you'd look great with a short hair cut. If you're still nervous about wearing a TWA, I think you should go to a salon, have a stylist cut the rest of the back, keep the front long, and put some spiral curls in it to match the texture in the back. Rock it like that until it grows to the length you feel most comfortable with. Either way, you'd still be pretty.

CherieMarie

heres what you do.

1. get in your car
2. drive to the nearest college campus
3. buy some weed.
4. smoke it
5. relax
6. finish cutting hair
7. style to your liking
8. profit!

I am kidding about the weed, but Im serious about the relaxing part. You are very pretty there is no way you will look like a boy. You will be just fine bb.

ETA: you dont have to finish cutting it, you could just braid it up like the poster above me suggested. But I think that you should finish what you started.... just calm down itll be fine....

deep breaths.... wooosah

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Thats what I probably would have done!!!! *having flashbacks of my college years*

latebloomer

I had planned to do my big chop 05th September 09 which would have been 1 year since my last relaxer. I actually didnt even realise the time had passed and was due to do my install for a sew in the next day. so as i was taking my hair out to wash it, i could see all the stringy bits of my hair that i hated, so i started trimming it and before i realised i looked in the sink and had done my big chop. At first i was traumatised i couldnt believe it, but i got my weave as usual the next day, i wasnt comfortable with wearing an afro so short. But 5-6 months on my hair has grown so much i cant believe it. its now long enough to go into a pony tail and sits just on the top of my shoulders when i straighten it. its soooo thick and healthy now. I;m glad i did my big chop, but happy i could do weaves in the meantime whilst it was growing

Filmatic

I did this too. I cut my sides though. Then I waited. After a couple of months I just took it all off. Do it when you are ready or do like the above poster said and go get it shaped and wear it long in the front.

AvaSpeaks

It seems that you are not ready for the change yet and that you need more time to think things over.

So, I suggest that you 'wig it' until the weekend and take it from there. If you decide to chop and don't like it you can wear wigs until your hair grows out.

Finally, I promise you that you will not look like your brother if you cut your hair. :yep: A little bit a lipgloss, your prettiest earrings and a bangin' outfit is all you will need to complete your transformation whether you are natural or not :grin: Good luck, Teysmith.:bighug:

Exactly what I think too. Because when you are ready to do the big chop, you do it! All at once!! Hence the word "chop".

It's not a cut, as some overpriced stylists and magazines may try to pretend it to be. It all has to go so if you are not ready, which is sounds like you aren't, I would go with the wig idea or braids and regrow your hair out. :yep:

ycj1

I would strongly suggest at least you should finish the back part of cutting! To make it even in the back! I don't think braiding will do any good especially if you want to sport diff. styles after a while. Wigging it is another good option as the OP suggested, but some days you may not want to wear a wig!

It's bad enough that as you stated your hair is damaged, but at least finish the back! I think you'll feel better that that part is done.

Also, I highly doubt that anyone will mistake you for a boy! You do have a beautiful face and no masculine features to speak of! Just my observation!

Don't be scurred!!!!!!:yep:

SignatureBeauty

YOU WILL LOOK GOOD, You have the face for it, I agree with BMP! Look at how short my hair is, I went and bought a wig and don't even where it, I and my family prefer my Twa, get you some good gel, or moisturizer etc. and make dem curls pop, You will look good and have more confidence, I know you will look just fine, nothing about you says 'Boy". I say Go For It & Finish!!!

Damaged but not out

Ahh finish it. I did this same crazy dance days ago.
I bought some scissors cut off all the back and went, "ok, stop now lets not do this anymore". But it was too late there was no salvaging it. Cut it of spend a week running ur hands thru the new bush and u'll start to be intrigued. U might not like it but its a diff experience.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hey, now, there is no way you would look like a boy. :nono: I know it is a bit scary, but since your hair is so damaged, it is best to cut and start over. I love my new twa and it was a sore spot with some friends of mine who didn't want me to cut it. They will get over it.:yep: You just need some confidence. Your texture won't be able to be completely known until you BC. I think all natural textures are beautiful.

motherpopcorn562

heres what you do.

1. get in your car
2. drive to the nearest college campus
3. buy some weed.
4. smoke it
5. relax
6. finish cutting hair
7. style to your liking
8. profit!

I am kidding about the weed, but Im serious about the relaxing part. You are very pretty there is no way you will look like a boy. You will be just fine bb.

ETA: you dont have to finish cutting it, you could just braid it up like the poster above me suggested. But I think that you should finish what you started.... just calm down itll be fine....

deep breaths.... wooosah
LOLOLOLOL:lachen::grin:

Just braid it up

aquajoyice

I think you have a beautiful texture. Don't be afraid just continue with your original plans and get some really cute hair accessories and rock it! I would get some hair bands and some really cute over the top hoop earrings and go with it. No one will think you are your brother you'll be fine. Trust your instincts and let go you'll find life is much better when you stop stressing :yep::yep:

plastic

To be honest , one needs confidence to rock a twa. You thought you had the confidence... but now you realise that you don't . If you are not ready to big chop , don't do it. You're just going to cry about it . You look great in your avatar .. you are rocking that style .. that is not much different than a twa .. but do you .

teysmith

I DID IT!!!! O-M-G!!

I have to say its not all that bad... I'm not too crazy about it but its definately not horrible. What I'm most excited about is that now I have a fresh NEW start!

I'm gonna give this natural thing a shot. I'm so excited!!

Unfortunately I dont feel comfortable enough to rock it this short yet. I really want to but I just feel awkward!
So as for now I will probably go and pick up a cute lace front or something...

Its not long enough for braids :(

But I'm happy I did it...I feel sooo good!

I never in a Million years would have thought I would do this!

Thanks ladies for your support!!!

Last edited:

Nubenap22

Where the pics?:grin:

But congrats and I would welcome ya on over but I myself am still transitioning (I'm too skurrd of bc'ing)

Glad you actually like it...now you get to learn what works for you as a full natural....Also good luck on finding a good lacefront...I'm sure soon enough you'll sport your twa and feel fabulous!!!

If not go ahead and get ur braids till you feel comfortable!!!!
HHJ!!!

teysmith

Where the pics?:grin:

But congrats and I would welcome ya on over but I myself am still transitioning (I'm too skurrd of bc'ing)

Glad you actually like it...now you get to learn what works for you as a full natural....Also good luck on finding a good lacefront...I'm sure soon enough you'll sport your twa and feel fabulous!!!

If not go ahead and get ur braids till you feel comfortable!!!!
HHJ!!!

Thanks! I will post pics later on!! :)

L.Brown1114

i have a unisex face. one time for halloween i dressed up like a guy and got hit on by STRAIGHT females lol. once i cut my hair, with no makeup on and my eyebrows not waxed i look like a straight up boy. but now i put on eyeshadow and big earrings and rock the hell out of it!!!

SleepyJean

I would suggest that you go with your original plan and just braid it out until June/July.
When that time comes, you can decide what you want to do. Eventually, you have to even your hair out whether you relax or go natural.
You can always braid it up until you get to a length that you're comfortable with.
BC'ing is not for the faint of heart.

The bolded is especially true. When I was relaxed and my hair was above CBL, there was this awkward length phase. I hated my hair, and I thought it was really damaged. I wanted to cut it. After I grew it out, I realized my hair was not reallydamaged, but I was more unhappy with the crazy lengths I had on my hair. To me, it makes it more difficult to style.

No matter what you do, you're going to have to even out, so you might is as well cut it... or even it out to a length your comfortable with. Either way it will be process.

Congratulations on your partial BC, though. You might like being natural more than relaxed. :yep:

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

YAYYYYYY!!! I am so excited for you, I cannot wait to see the pics, now you will get to learn your hair, it is so fun and exciting and at sometimes depressing for some. I am sure you look good girl!!! I am just all excited like I just Big Chopped LOL!! I bought a wig and it is still sitting on my wighead stand LOL!!!

BlackMasterPiece

I DID IT!!!! O-M-G!!

I have to say its not all that bad... I'm not too crazy about it but its definately not horrible. What I'm most excited about is that now I have a fresh NEW start!

I'm gonna give this natural thing a shot. I'm so excited!!

Unfortunately I dont feel comfortable enough to rock it this short yet. I really want to but I just feel awkward!
So as for now I will probably go and pick up a cute lace front or something...

Its not long enough for braids :(

But I'm happy I did it...I feel sooo good!

I never in a Million years would have thought I would do this!

Thanks ladies for your support!!!
Congratulations sweety!!:meme: thats so awesome....can't wait to see the pics:yep:

teysmith

Today I told my husband that i cut it but I havent showed it to him yet. I'm hiding it under a pretty scarf...But so far without even seeing it he havent been supportive.. He acted all upset and said that I should stop listening to people on this site. and that its just a way for people to make money! I swear I wanted to slap the ish out of him...

Now I'm afraid to show him and dont even want to anymore..If I can I will probably just hide it until it grows. I dont want him to make me feel bad.

overall I'm still happy with the decision that I made :) I so feel like I'm really on the road to healthy longer hair now!!

Today my 3 year old daughter asked where did my hair go...she said it looked like daddy's lol..she said it was pretty though :)