Afraid to relax again....

DontTouchMyHair

In May I overprocessed my hair. (relaxed in colored within two weeks, left the regular strength relaxer in almost 30mins) :ohwell:

I haven't put a relaxer in my hair since then. It is uneven, breaking and thin, but still manageable and kept most of the length.

Now its come time to do something with these roots. I am afraid to relax though after such a traumatizing experience, but no I do not want to go natural.

I've decided that I'm going to do an at home, mild relaxer and just use mild relaxers from here on out. (Ive used them before and my hair was great). My only concern as a DIYer is how should i put the relaxer in? I have a good inch+ of new growth and i can see it becasue the color stops. I'm afraid if relaxers hit that line where its overprocced the relaxer will just break it off.

What should I do? I cannot afford a beautician right now.

Having been in the exact same position a few years ago, I know where you are. Don't laugh ya'll, but this is what I did. I relaxed with no lye and after two weeks I did an all over color. Two weeks after that, I did highlights. Three weeks after that, I relaxed again. :look: Needless to say, I looked like this shortly after:

DrM_adv2.jpg

The solution: chop, chop, chop. I got a stylist and he chopped me to a tapered style and grew that color out. Getting the bulk of damaged ends off my hair immediately stopped my breakage. I continued to get relaxers around every 6-8 weeks. That was never an issue because he didn't overprocess me. We kept trimming to get rid of the color while I was growing out my style.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but having that much chemical damage, you may want to be open to cutting the color off at one point or another.

Have you been doing regular protein treatments? Have you used products like Porosity Control (or even a diluted ACV rinse) to try to correct your pH balance? Maybe you should do a few protein & DC treatments over the next week or two and see if that reduces breakage first...

Last edited:
I agree with slowly cutting it out ^^ I know that is probably not what you want to hear after dying hair everything you do will have to be focused around those colored sections and it appears to be giving you more trouble than they are worth. That is why I have opted to never dye my hair. I am not up for the challenge of taking care of color treated hair until it grows out.

Last edited:
Since you haven't had a relaxer since May and you're looking for advice...from the right source...I would suggest that you coat the previously relaxed hair in condition and Chi Silk Infusion, let it dry.

BASE your scalp with base specifically for use with relaxers. Then section the hair into four sections using clips.

I would then TEXlex the hair instead of relaxing it. Also determine if you are using a LYE relaxer or a NO-Lye relaxer (I use Mizani LYE relaxer for fine/color treated hair).

IF you decide to texlax that means that you apply the relaxer mixed with your favorite conditioner and a small amount of oil to the NEW GROWTH only, leave it on for about 5-7 minutes. If you leave it on any longer you will be relaxing your hair IMO.

Neutralize and rinse and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Apply your protein conditioner. (Usually I do this before I neutralize, but for you..please do this after)

Apply your moisturizing conditioner and use heat to deep condition.

Try to avoid heat, heavy styling and anything drying. Moisture, moisture, moisture! I wish you the best! You can look up Texlaxing on this board, there is loads of information.

Having been in the exact same position a few years ago, I know where you are. Don't laugh ya'll, but this is what I did. I relaxed with no lye and after two weeks I did an all over color. Two weeks after that, I did highlights. Three weeks after that, I relaxed again. :look: Needless to say, I looked like this shortly after:

DrM_adv2.jpg

The solution: chop, chop, chop. I got a stylist and he chopped me to a tapered style and grew that color out. Getting the bulk of damaged ends off my hair immediately stopped my breakage. I continued to get relaxers around every 6-8 weeks. That was never an issue because he didn't overprocess me. We kept trimming to get rid of the color while I was growing out my style.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but having that much chemical damage, you may want to be open to cutting the color off at one point or another.

Im definitely cutting. I have been trimming and going to cut it into a style this weekend. Sort of a bob. I've cut it before and it grew back in months. My question really is is it ok to self relax.

thanks for your answers, I have done treatments and trims so I have that covered. My question is it ok to self relax again. I cannot afford to go to anyone. Its been six months now so I need a realxer BAD.

Since you haven't had a relaxer since May and you're looking for advice...from the right source...I would suggest that you coat the previously relaxed hair in condition and Chi Silk Infusion, let it dry.

BASE your scalp with base specifically for use with relaxers. Then section the hair into four sections using clips.

I would then TEXlex the hair instead of relaxing it. Also determine if you are using a LYE relaxer or a NO-Lye relaxer (I use Mizani LYE relaxer for fine/color treated hair).

IF you decide to texlax that means that you apply the relaxer mixed with your favorite conditioner and a small amount of oil to the NEW GROWTH only, leave it on for about 5-7 minutes. If you leave it on any longer you will be relaxing your hair IMO.

Neutralize and rinse and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Apply your protein conditioner. (Usually I do this before I neutralize, but for you..please do this after)

Apply your moisturizing conditioner and use heat to deep condition.

Try to avoid heat, heavy styling and anything drying. Moisture, moisture, moisture! I wish you the best! You can look up Texlaxing on this board, there is loads of information.

wow, this sounds so intimidating. How much conditioner do you put in ther relaxer? I dont know if I'm comortable with that. i have never done that before and I'm not in the adventerous mindset to try anything I'm not used to doing in my hair.

The key to less damage is using a semi or demi color if you relax. I have been there and then some with color damage. Even as a natural, I cannot use permanent color without damage. I currently use the Nice and Easy Natural Instincts line. It works really well on my natural hair now. When I was relaxed, this was the only color that did not damage my hair.

Im definitely cutting. I have been trimming and going to cut it into a style this weekend. Sort of a bob. I've cut it before and it grew back in months. My question really is is it ok to self relax.

How close is the color to your line of demarcation? If it's >>>>this close<<<<<, I'd recommend you have someone else do it so they can see better. Or like everyone else says, make sure you coat the previously relaxed hair really well.

I suggest using the Lauren Mechelle method featured on YouTube. Hers makes the most sense to me and helps me relax pretty good. I would def do a strong protein treatment I.e. Aphogee two step.. A week before relaxing. You want your hair very string before you do a self relaxer. IMO this gives you a little wiggle room since your self relaxing. My relaxer of choice is linange Shea butter no lye relaxer. It's SUPER mild and gets the job done. There are a few threads on here about it. I would coat my colored relaxed ends with a protein conditioner mixed. With a little neutralizing shampoo, and whatever you used to base your scalp. I learned the hard way, when I didn't do this.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Link to youtube video please.

I suggest using the Lauren Mechelle method featured on YouTube. Hers makes the most sense to me and helps me relax pretty good. I would def do a strong protein treatment I.e. Aphogee two step.. A week before relaxing. You want your hair very string before you do a self relaxer. IMO this gives you a little wiggle room since your self relaxing. My relaxer of choice is linange Shea butter no lye relaxer. It's SUPER mild and gets the job done. There are a few threads on here about it. I would coat my colored relaxed ends with a protein conditioner mixed. With a little neutralizing shampoo, and whatever you used to base your scalp. I learned the hard way, when I didn't do this.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

It is definitely safe to self relax,just make sure you take every precaution necessary,as suggested. If you don't have Chi silk infusion,then coating the previously relaxed ends with oil works well too.

The best thing I used to do for my self relaxed self,was to add oil to the relaxer. A good base is mandatory as well. Neutralize the heck out of it, a protein treatments right after, and a good moisturizing dc as well.

I have a self relaxer video that may help and do try to lay off the permanent hair colour.

wow, this sounds so intimidating. How much conditioner do you put in ther relaxer? I dont know if I'm comortable with that. i have never done that before and I'm not in the adventerous mindset to try anything I'm not used to doing in my hair.

Don't add conditioner to the relaxer, coat your previously relaxed hair with conditioner to protect it from any overlapping. I like to use Roux porosity control because it is pH balanced and will somewhat neutralize the relaxer if it gets on that hair.

This is a guide to self relaxing, tips and tricks ala LHCF. HTH
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=157899

and another:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=463686

Last edited:
Girl, I know how you feel. Don't have any advice but I tell you what happened to me and maybe you might use the same method to grow your hair back. In October of 2009 I left the relaxer in too long and it broke off completely in the back where I had placed the relaxer first. What I did was cut the rest of the hair to even things up then in December of 2009 I installed my first box braids and have been wearing them since. I will remove these braids sometime in 2012 hopefully it will be long enough to reach my collarbone.

IMO, I would trim off the damaged areas and start from scratch. It looks better to have short healthy hair than long, thin and broken prone hair.

you should definitely spend a little time reading through the self-relaxed threads frizzy posted for extra tips. It seems that this 5-6 month stretch isn't typical for you (i've never stretched past 12 weeks myself). Since you're nervous about self-relaxing and the amount of new growth you have, do you have a good detangler? I started using aloe vera juice over the summer, and it detangles my new growth really well. Detangling/finger combing to get rid of shed hairs will make it easier to get through the new growth faster when it comes down to applying the relaxer.
I'd also recommend using the half and half method. It's very time consuming, but it'll put less pressure on you. And using a very diluted ACV rinse during the neutralizing step was helpful when i self-relaxed in Sept. When I used the neutralizing shampoo the lather turned white faster than in the past.

Back