I am afraid to Relax..

When relaxing your hair do...

• Total voters

Nic_Cali

Ladies, I am in desperate need of a relaxer. I am 8 1/2 weeks post and I think it is time for a touch up. I am afraid to relax my hair myself because I do not want to over process it, but I must do something about this head. :perplexed

I need a tutorial on how it should be applied or something? Times are hard right now so I can not fathom paying $70 for a touch up. :ohwell:

To mind you I still have to go out and buy the perm but overall, I am hoping to save $$$$$.

KiniKakes

Giiiirl, when we hear "8 1/2 weeks" on here that doesnt sound like a "desperate need for a relaxer." :lol: This forum consists of a group of ladies who streeeeetch relaxers for weeks and months at a time. So your cry for help isnt sounding that traumatic, girl. :p J/k.

But teasing aside.....hmmm, well I have never tried self-relaxing. So to be honest, I would be afraid to do so. But I know that many women on here do, and there have been a TON of posts about self-relaxing, that offer specific tutorials and tips. So I'd do a search for self-relaxing to see what you can find.

I wish I could offer better advice but, once again, I go to a salon (and a Dominican salon, at that, so its pretty cheap).

I am all for saving money.... $70 *aint* cute. So I wish you luck with this. :)

gradygirl

Read the newcomers guide to starting out at the beginning of the forum post. Also, LondonDiva's tutorial was very helpful to me.
Hope this helps.

Nic_Cali

I knew someone was going to clown me about only stretching 8 1/2 weeks but really I have some much new growth thanks to all my LHCF ladies.
I have short hair style so that is why I can not stretch long before I begin to look a hot mess. :lol:

I thought I looked through all of Don'tSpeakDefeats Hair guide, but I will check again.

Isis

You may also want to consider finding where a cosmetology school is in your area and making an appointment there. A friend of mine did this because she didn't know how to relax her own hair and had a positive experience. The class worked on her hair (with the instructor) with expert results and it costed her very little.

She was also able to learn a little how to retouch hair.

KiniKakes

Nic_Cali said:
I knew someone was going to clown me about only stretching 8 1/2 weeks but really I have some much new growth thanks to all my LHCF ladies.
I have short hair style so that is why I can not stretch long before I begin to look a hot mess. :lol:

I thought I looked through all of Don'tSpeakDefeats Hair guide, but I will check again.

Girl, dont worry about it. I am one of the folks on here who generally relaxes after 9 weeks as well, so you arent alone. I was really just teasing you. :p Hehehe.;)

asubeauty

I understand. I would love to save $$ and after getting scalp burns and ending up underprocessed from my last touch-up, I might end up better off if I do my own touch ups, too.

HoneyDew

For my self relaxing to work, I need a thick relaxer. The more "watery" ones tend to lead to underprocessing unless I leave in in longer. Finding the "watery" ones has taken trial and error.

Also, I cannot use a comb to apply the cream to my new growth properly. It is just too cumbersome.

I have found my one and only relaxer applicator and it helps me apply to my roots better than a comb. Not the WIDE ones. This brush is the smaller one.

Sally Tint Brush
By: Sally Beauty Supply

Sally Item #: 265156

Used for chemical service applications.

Available in red, black and blue
Applies bleach and color
Ideal for separating and parting hair
Easy to use

Syrah

I'm 2 years natural, but I started self relaxing at about 15.

Here's a question - do you have any friends who relax? Have you thought about having a friend apply the relaxer - a friend you trust?

I ask this, because a lot of what happens with relaxers is being able to see the new growth - and it's hard to see the new growth in the back of your head. And hair does not grow at consistent rights around the head - this we know. I had a friend who applied my relaxer throughout college - I did hers, she did mine. Just a thought.

For starters - one of the things that I've heard posters mentioned that I knew nothing about when I was relaxing was some sort of "hair protectant" cream that you apply to already relaxed hair to prevent duplicate processing.

How I relaxed:
1. To make it easier, to see the smaller areas, I parted my hair in eight sections. Four large sections that I then split into two each.
2. Through each section, I applied scalp protectant to the scalp in the major parts, and then went through each section and applied it intermittently in the section.
3. Get a timer.
4. I started in the back because it was the hardest for me to see and do - so I figured as I was getting tired, I'd be moving to the front where it's easier for me to see.
5. Some people apply the relaxer using a fine tooth comb. Like another poster mentioned, I used the relaxer brush because it was easier to apply. And more precise for me.
6. Starting at the top, in one of the corners. I would apply relaxer to the top corner of the hair, and then using the brush, part a diagonal piece and apply relaxer to the underside of that piece. So that both sides are coated.
7. Kept doing number 6 all the way through the hair... apply to the top. Part diagonally, apply to the bottom. I found that diagonal pieces stopped my hair from having funny parts in it once finished.

I used Mild relaxers because my hair was more curly then coarse, and never left it on more than 10-12 minutes.

The important thing is what happens once you wash your hair - in the shower. Avoid combing your hair when wet ESPECIALLY after a relaxer treatment. Shampoo thoroughly.... It is KEY that you make sure all the relaxer creme is removed from your hair. And don't depend on those "shampoo kits" that say all the relaxer is out when your hair stops lathering pink foam. Nonsense. I used to shampoo 4 times.

A reconstructing conditioner is a big + after a relaxer too.

Hope this helps.

Nic_Cali

Isis said:
You may also want to consider finding where a cosmetology school is in your area and making an appointment there. A friend of mine did this because she didn't know how to relax her own hair and had a positive experience. The class worked on her hair (with the instructor) with expert results and it costed her very little.

She was also able to learn a little how to retouch hair.

Great idea, they can give me some tips as well, to ease my anxiety when I do apply my own relaxer. :D

Nic_Cali

KiniKakes said:
Girl, dont worry about it. I am one of the folks on here who generally relaxes after 9 weeks as well, so you arent alone. I was really just teasing you. :p Hehehe.;)

I know I know you were kidding..tehetehe

Nic_Cali

I will be getting one of those.

HoneyDew said:
For my self relaxing to work, I need a thick relaxer. The more "watery" ones tend to lead to underprocessing unless I leave in in longer. Finding the "watery" ones has taken trial and error.

Also, I cannot use a comb to apply the cream to my new growth properly. It is just too cumbersome.

I have found my one and only relaxer applicator and it helps me apply to my roots better than a comb. Not the WIDE ones. This brush is the smaller one.

Sally Tint Brush

Applies bleach and color
Easy to use

Nic_Cali

Thanks, I printed this out.

MsNadi said:

Here's a question - do you have any friends who relax? Have you thought about having a friend apply the relaxer - a friend you trust?

I ask this, because a lot of what happens with relaxers is being able to see the new growth - and it's hard to see the new growth in the back of your head. And hair does not grow at consistent rights around the head - this we know. I had a friend who applied my relaxer throughout college - I did hers, she did mine. Just a thought.

For starters - one of the things that I've heard posters mentioned that I knew nothing about when I was relaxing was some sort of "hair protectant" cream that you apply to already relaxed hair to prevent duplicate processing.

How I relaxed:
1. To make it easier, to see the smaller areas, I parted my hair in eight sections. Four large sections that I then split into two each.
2. Through each section, I applied scalp protectant to the scalp in the major parts, and then went through each section and applied it intermittently in the section.
3. Get a timer.
4. I started in the back because it was the hardest for me to see and do - so I figured as I was getting tired, I'd be moving to the front where it's easier for me to see.
5. Some people apply the relaxer using a fine tooth comb. Like another poster mentioned, I used the relaxer brush because it was easier to apply. And more precise for me.
6. Starting at the top, in one of the corners. I would apply relaxer to the top corner of the hair, and then using the brush, part a diagonal piece and apply relaxer to the underside of that piece. So that both sides are coated.
7. Kept doing number 6 all the way through the hair... apply to the top. Part diagonally, apply to the bottom. I found that diagonal pieces stopped my hair from having funny parts in it once finished.

I used Mild relaxers because my hair was more curly then coarse, and never left it on more than 10-12 minutes.

The important thing is what happens once you wash your hair - in the shower. Avoid combing your hair when wet ESPECIALLY after a relaxer treatment. Shampoo thoroughly.... It is KEY that you make sure all the relaxer creme is removed from your hair. And don't depend on those "shampoo kits" that say all the relaxer is out when your hair stops lathering pink foam. Nonsense. I used to shampoo 4 times.

Hope this helps.

LovelyLionessa

MsNadi said:

How I relaxed:
3. Get a timer.

Hope this helps.

These tips are on point, Ms Nadi. :clapping:

I also use those small applicator brushes Honeydew uses. They work really well. :yep:

Dee-Licious

Nic_Cali said:
Great idea, they can give me some tips as well, to ease my anxiety when I do apply my own relaxer. :D

OT.. your 2 week comparision pics look GREAT.. what is your regimen???

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
In the Newcomers Guide to Starting Out, SouthernGirl has instructions on how to apply a perm. I just did it yesterday, and my hair feels FANTASTIC! BTW, I love those applicator brushes too! :)

Nic_Cali

MsDee4 said:
OT.. your 2 week comparision pics look GREAT.. what is your regimen???

Ooops never even noticed this here...SAWY

I did the following:

Wed: I cowash on Wed. w/ NTM Deep Conditioner
used Kenra Daily Provisions and a little Elucence Moisturizing Cond. or NTM Leave in after

At night: Moisturized ends with NTM leave in or Kenra Daily Provisions and sealed w/sweet almond oil.

Sat: Used Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo
Deep Cond. w/ Elucence Conditioner or Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm

OR (Alternated betweem the 2)

Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo
used PM Tea Tree Cond left on in shower for approx. 3-5 min an rinse
Followed by a Deep Condition w/ Elucence Cond. or Biolage U.H.B

Currently my regimen is more complex...because I have so many more products now...:look:

Last edited:

Nic_Cali

tiffers said:
In the Newcomers Guide to Starting Out, SouthernGirl has instructions on how to apply a perm. I just did it yesterday, and my hair feels FANTASTIC! BTW, I love those applicator brushes too! :)

Good for you...I am glad it turned out great...

Ms Red

Hey Nic_Cali.

Check out SouthernGirl's fotki. She has great self-relaxing tips and directions.

cc

The Girl

HoneyDew said:

Sally Tint Brush

Applies bleach and color
Easy to use
I have 2 of the same brushs in a reddish color!

OT: I hope I didnt offend you in the dryer thread.