After Going Natural Did You Experience Longer Hair?

Growing up, my hair was natural and it grew past bsl. I got a relaxer in hs and couldn't get much past shoulder, even with healthy hair practices. I've only been natural for less than two years and I'm already past shoulder in the back. I've realized that the relaxer did not agree with my low porosity, fine strands. It took forever for the relaxer to get under the cuticle, so my hair frequently under or overprocessed, which my fine strands couldn't handle.

I hope I can have success natural like you ladies. The first time I was natural my hair stayed at armpit length, but back then I didn't know anything about healthy hair care practices. Then I got my first relaxer and grew my hair to waist length with healthy hair care practices. Now im natural again and my hair is a little pass armpit length with healthy hair care practices, but doesn't seem like it's doing much length retention wise. I will see by the end of the summer, then its back to relaxing for me.

I've notice fuller hair. I can't say that it's growing faster...but there are certainly less areas of breakage so my hair appears a lot fuller natural as opposed to relaxed.

My hair is about the same length in both pictures and it took about the same amount of time to reach this length, but the second pic is of my natural hair which appears fuller.

Attachments

• image-1637929090.jpg
    image-1637929090.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-668954452.jpg
    image-668954452.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 65
I've notice fuller hair. I can't say that it's growing faster...but there are certainly less areas of breakage so my hair appears a lot fuller natural as opposed to relaxed. My hair is about the same length in both pictures and it took about the same amount of time to reach this length, but the second pic is of my natural hair which appears fuller.
Your hair is gorgeous! It's too early for me to tell if I am noticing longer hair since I'm newly natural however my goal was thicker healthier hair which I noticed immediately after I big chopped.

Definitely. I wish my brother had kept his old phone. My hair felt "long" when I was about SL. Now I'm inching closer (3 inches left) to MBL, and I know I'm not close to being done yet.

Never would have thought that my hair grows at a normal pace of 6 inches a year. It is amazing how much hair was lost to breakage and scissor happy stylists when I was relaxed. My hair after two years is the longest it's been since I was a teenager. I am APL and I want to surpass MBL in the next year. Should be possible since I am pretty short.

Last edited:
When I was relaxed, the longest my hair grew was shoulder length before it started breaking off. My natural hair is between apl and bsl.

I went from constantly breaking sl relaxed hair to healthy nearly wsl hair. It takes time. I had set backs mostly from listening to stylists and I had to basically grow out all of the damaged natural hair. Once I cut the last of it off my hair really started thriving and grows even when I cut corners and neglect it by not properly following my hair regimen.

Limiting heat and stopping all chemical treatments did more for my hair than any fancy conditioner or magic hair vitamin.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using LHCF

My natural hair is currently longer than my relaxed hair was after this much time. I retained a whole lot more as a natural. Ive had at least 2 professional trims plus I trimmed multiple times on my own. Right now im an inch and some change short of APL.

BUT! My hair felt healthier as a relaxed head. I have some weird breakage now...

Not yet. I was mbl relaxed. I haven't reached that milestone yet as a natural, but my hair is much shinier, stronger and retention is much better. In a year I will be at my longest length ever (waist length)

My hair used to grow when relaxed but not as much as now. I had horrible scalp issues thanks to all the relaxer burns and my hair although seemingly healthy, used to break a lot around the edges. I've been natural for almost a year and its definitely grown a lot and have been able to retain all my length.

My hair is right at its longest point natural that it was relaxed before I would get bored and cut it off. From this point on will be the true test. I think I will be okay because of shrinkage. :yep: That is, growing it out.

yes, my hair never grew past shoulder length when I was relaxed. I'm in the purgatory stage between mbl and waist length right now.
I'm not using just juices and berries on my hair at this point, but I've been living in wigs since October and I credit my surge in growth with that

Lord yes. I stayed around shoulder length with relaxers I went to full tailbone length natural.

@ Risingsun your hair is beautiful and I love your youtube.

The length of hair is about the same as before when I had the relaxer but it's thicker and fuller. Put as you described how the regular shampoos leave my hair stripped I now going to try your bars.

My hair is longer now as a natural than it ever was when I was relaxed. I can't honestly say that the relaxer is why my hair rarely got passed BSL. I think it was getting my ends trimmed faithfully every 6 weeks (not that they needed it, but because that's what the stylist told me needed to be done), combing my hair every single day (I only comb my hair about once a week as a natural), and using too much direct heat (I flat iron about twice a year as a natural vs every week when relaxed). I don't use all natural products and my hair is dyed and probably always will be. Over the years I just learned what works for my hair and what doesn't.

Back