After much consideration, i think I am going to texlax or relax today

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I think i'm going to do it. For those of your that are texlaxed or relaxed how did you make the decision to go with either or. I think i'm going to texlax but i'm not 100% sure. I hope i'm not making a mistake :nono:

Texlaxed ladies that stretch is it difficult to have texlaxed hair and natural hair when you do long stretches? I think I would like to stretch for about 3 mos at a time.

I am so scared yall!!! I hope I'm doing the right thing.

What perm do i use??? I am so out of the loop. :help:

Texlaxers what method do you personally use to apply the perm? I am going to do a search right now but wanted current responses as well.

Thanks ladies -

Signed, one scared lady

lilvudufly

Are you natural? Why are you going to process it. Maybe you can go to the shop and let them blow it out then think about it if you aren't sure.

locabouthair

Good luck to you !!
I dont self relax so I can't help. I use ORS olive oil relaxer in super cuz my hair is very coarse. Unless your strands are like wires, like mine, I wouldn't suggest a super.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Are you natural? Why are you going to process it. Maybe you can go to the shop and let them blow it out then think about it if you aren't sure.

Yes, i've been natural for a couple of years now. My hair is....something else. I've struggled with poof, knots, and other problems throughout this time. I think i'm ready. I really think I am.

Soliel185

The best texlax I have ever seen was from a poster that was using S Curl kits I think. It was one of the texturizing kits for men. Her results were more precise than the ones I've seen with people using reg relaxers with the exception of maybe Phyto. But that stuff is so expensive :perplexed

When I was texlaxed I used ORS Super - yes my hair is THAT resistant. After 20+ minutes my hair was still wavy, so if you absolutely do not want to lose all texture I think a mild or reg of that would leave you with some even if you let it process fully.

Another idea is to use silk amino acids, or Chi Silk Infusion as a barrier on your hair, and then put the relaxer over it (silk protein reinforces the hair bonds so the hair will not straighten fully, but you can leave the relaxer on for the full time and don't end up with the weird in between fuzz) There was a whole thread about it.

Good Luck!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Well, I am transitioning now but I have been texlaxed for over a year. I decided to start texlaxing because when I used to relax my hair bone straight, It was thin, lifeless and could barely hold a curl. I also had see through endsI didn't have a problem with the different textures because I paid close attention to my line of demarcation and protein / moisture balance. I would stretch for 3 months at a time and I used Affirm for sensitive scalp (mild version).

ajoyfuljoy

Good luck Fabulosity :) Maybe you should ask JCoily for some tips since she recently relaxed? I hope she comes in here for ya.

Duchesse

Good luck! I texlaxed after being natural w/ORS lye regular. I just applied like a regular perm but left it in for 10 min. (it didnt really take, so I did it again like a week (or less)later..bad and stupid move...it broke my hair something awful).

I waited 4 months and was going to transition back to natural, but decided last week to texlax again, did a half head at a time, with ORS no-lye regular for 10 mins on I prefer this one, and will continue w this, or maybe Just for Me.

I think it's easy to stretch with a texlax, the textures aren't that drastically different, but I guess it depends on what type of hairstyles you wear, and the degree of straightness of your relaxed hair.

Menina Preta

Good luck! I'm relaxed, but maybe you should tex-lax first to see if you like it? And if you don't like it, 6 months later, do a corrective and just relax fully?

JustKiya

Now I know you saw my last pictures of my birthday hair right???? Yall clowned me to death :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Cuz you was looking SALTY. Hot. :lol: I'm sure you'll be sunny and thrilled with the texlax (hopefully) so we'll see the sunny and happy Fab, instead of the 'Are you SEEING this here??!?!?!' Fab. :rofl:

Jenaee

I texlaxed 3 months ago using Nubianqt's technique. I used Silk Elements Lye-Mild and a tablespoon of cholesterol. I put some silk amino acid too. I love my results. Still have a nice cur; pattern. I'm 3 months post and it's hard to tell where my new growth starts.

audacity.

Girrrrllll.... don't be scurred...nuh-uh, don't be scurred :nono:

Well, you have to do what is best for your hair and I can honestly say after more than 18 mos of transitioning that I am 100% satisfied with my decision to relax almost 2 mos ago. I have NO REGRETS AT ALL.

I did not relax bone straight (although it was my intention to do so) so I still have a lot of texture in my hair, which I like. I decided to relax basically because of the amount of time I was spending with my hair on wash days. I went from 60+ minutes of detangling when transitioning to 15 minutes or less now.

I plan to re-incorporate my old relaxer schedule which was every 6 months. I don't find it hard to stretch at all, never have...

I used ORS No-Lye, a few squirts of chepie condish and about 2 tbs of oil mixed in. I wanted to leave it on for 25 minutes but I could only make about 13...

Hope I've helped :hug2:
Good luck, Fab!

I think i'm going to do it. For those of your that are texlaxed or relaxed how did you make the decision to go with either or. I think i'm going to texlax but i'm not 100% sure. I hope i'm not making a mistake :nono:

Texlaxed ladies that stretch is it difficult to have texlaxed hair and natural hair when you do long stretches? I think I would like to stretch for about 3 mos at a time.

I am so scared yall!!! I hope I'm doing the right thing.

What perm do i use??? I am so out of the loop. :help:

Texlaxers what method do you personally use to apply the perm? I am going to do a search right now but wanted current responses as well.

Thanks ladies -

Signed, one scared lady

Iluvsmuhgrass

Cuz you was looking SALTY. Hot. :lol: I'm sure you'll be sunny and thrilled with the texlax (hopefully) so we'll see the sunny and happy Fab, instead of the 'Are you SEEING this here??!?!?!' Fab. :rofl:

:lachen: :lol: LOL I know right! She was not playin!!!! I could almost hear her talking junk the entire time I was looking at that pic!

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I texlaxed 3 months ago using Nubianqt's technique. I used Silk Elements Lye-Mild and a tablespoon of cholesterol. I put some silk amino acid too. I love my results. Still have a nice cur; pattern. I'm 3 months post and it's hard to tell where my new growth starts.
Jenaee, what will you do when it's time for a touch up? how will you know where to put the chemical so there's no overlapping?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Girrrrllll.... don't be scurred...nuh-uh, don't be scurred :nono:

Well, you have to do what is best for your hair and I can honestly say after more than 18 mos of transitioning that I am 100% satisfied with my decision to relax almost 2 mos ago. I have NO REGRETS AT ALL.

I did not relax bone straight (although it was my intention to do so) so I still have a lot of texture in my hair, which I like. I decided to relax basically because of the amount of time I was spending with my hair on wash days. I went from 60+ minutes of detangling when transitioning to 15 minutes or less now.

I plan to re-incorporate my old relaxer schedule which was every 6 months. I don't find it hard to stretch at all, never have...

I used ORS No-Lye, a few squirts of chepie condish and about 2 tbs of oil mixed in. I wanted to leave it on for 25 minutes but I could only make about 13...

Hope I've helped :hug2:
Good luck, Fab!
Thanks for the advice!! I really hope this is the right choice but i guess i can always transition if need be. I am just hoping that texlaxing will bring the ease I need in dealing with my hair. Plus, hopefully when I straighten my hair it will be more calm.

Yes, I am scurred. LOL. My stomach is in knots right now because for me this is a HUGE deal.

Soliel185

Jenaee, what will you do when it's time for a touch up? how will you know where to put the chemical so there's no overlapping?

1 bit of advice -- when it comes time to touch up - coat your previously relaxed/texlaxed hair with conditioner or something to prevent relaxer run-off damage.

When I first tex-laxed I loved it, but I noticed that my hair towards the ends was getting straighter and straighter, and finally breaking. I didn't know about relaxer run-off, so I didn't realize that my hair was being relaxed over and over again when I rinsed the solution, and gradually straightening to the point of breakage. :nono:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

1 bit of advice -- when it comes time to touch up - coat your previously relaxed/texlaxed hair with conditioner or something to prevent relaxer run-off damage.

When I first tex-laxed I loved it, but I noticed that my hair towards the ends was getting straighter and straighter, and finally breaking. I didn't know about relaxer run-off, so I didn't realize that my hair was being relaxed over and over again when I rinsed the solution, and gradually straightening to the point of breakage. :nono:
Bless you! Excellent advice. I read this before but had forgotten about it. I need to make a cheat sheet so going forward I know what I need to do until it's burned into my memory.

anon123

Oooooh, good luck, girlie! You know we need pictures, right? :look:

But have you seen pictures of her natural hair? It's gorgeous! I saw her wash and go puff, it was killer, with all these perfect little 4a coils. Aw man. :(

Fab, how do you want to wear your hair? I know you've thought about it, I'm just curious, will the texlaxing help in how you want to wear your hair daily? Are you planning to wear it straight most of the time? Good luck, anyway.

jade998

I was natural and finally texlaxed last year. It has been a good journey and I dont regret it. Actually I am thinking of going fully relaxed as I just want straight hair without having to use heat.

Have a look at my fotki and you will see my progress.

I use ORS no-lye first and my hair was very dry for me, I swithched to ORS Lye and it burned me bad, I switched to Silk elements LYE mild and I have been happy ever since. I am thinking of using regualr now for less.

I added olive oil to my relaxer first time and now I just add in SAA to it. I coat my hair with oil when I relax to protect it. You can tell the demabration line when you are texlaxed cause new growth feels curlier. Try to keep it consistant in terms of how long, to get the same results. After that just take care of it. It you use Lye = more protein, if you use No Lye= more moisture

My regime is in about me in my fotki

Holla if you need any specific help

PuddingPop

Well if your gonna do it take your time and have 2 jars of relaxer on hand just in case. I needed 2 jars when I went from natural back to relaxed and my hair was not long at all.

And be prepared for your hair not to be as straight as you would like. Dont be shocked if you dont see much of a difference after your first try. I was bone straight relaxed b4 I went natural. I have been relaxing again now for about a year and my hair still isnt bone straight like i like it.
If you want to do it, go for it. I havent regretted my decision to relax again.

JustKiya

But have you seen pictures of her natural hair? It's gorgeous! I saw her wash and go puff, it was killer, with all these perfect little 4a coils. Aw man. :(

Fab, how do you want to wear your hair? I know you've thought about it, I'm just curious, will the texlaxing help in how you want to wear your hair daily? Are you planning to wear it straight most of the time? Good luck, anyway.

:yep: I have, and it is! But she's been creeping closer and closer to texlaxing/relaxing her hair for a GOOD minute - I figure at this point, there's no talking her out of it.... :look:

meecee

Oh this is a very very good point. I relaxed my hair after being natural for 7-8 years. I understand your current pain and frustration. I just couldn't take it anymore. When I intially relaxed it was with full intentions of being bone straight. However, my ends still ended up kinda texlaxed. I wasn't happy about it, but not really upset either. Its been a year now, and I've noticed that my ends are straighter now. Why? Relaxer run off. I take serious care to apply suave conditioner to my length and vaseline on top of the conditioner once it dries. I also pray really really hard before any chemical services. LOL. Helps with the nervousness.

My hair is very healthy and I'm proud of it. That was one of the main things I worried about when going back to a relaxer. My hair is the healthiest its ever been. I also didn't have to change my regimen very much. Just made sure I stepped up my moisturization game and deep condition every week. I only use heat every 3-4 months. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

locabouthair

Well if your gonna do it take your time and have 2 jars of relaxer on hand just in case. I needed 2 jars when I went from natural back to relaxed and my hair was not long at all.

And be prepared for your hair not to be as straight as you would like. Dont be shocked if you dont see much of a difference after your first try. I was bone straight relaxed b4 I went natural. I have been relaxing again now for about a year and my hair still isnt bone straight like i like it.
If you want to do it, go for it. I havent regretted my decision to relax again.

this happened to me. I was relaxed and then transitioned and then after being on the board for a year relaxed again. My relaxed hair has never gotten as straight as it was in the past. I used the same perm, even use a super, still textlaxed. And I have been relaxed for two years now. I don't get it :confused:

audacity.

i know that scurred feeling :yep:

may i make a suggestion?

if you are feeling this much anxiety please wait about a week longer.

when i made my final decision to relax (you know i went back and forth with it for MONTHS) i was at peace. there was no anxiety, no reluctance, no sick feelings...nothing. i was excited about it and have not looked back.

i don't want you to make this decision in haste and regret it 2 days later. so take some more time to think about it and make sure that this is REALLY, beyond a shadow of a doubt what you want to do.

eta: this is a personal......but if you are experiencing any PMS right now (or Aunt Flo is visiting), DEFINITELY WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! something about that time of the month that gets a woman's hormones wacked and our minds aren't as clear when we make decisions.

Thanks for the advice!! I really hope this is the right choice but i guess i can always transition if need be. I am just hoping that texlaxing will bring the ease I need in dealing with my hair. Plus, hopefully when I straighten my hair it will be more calm.

Yes, I am scurred. LOL. My stomach is in knots right now because for me this is a HUGE deal.

Last edited:

hopeful

Hi Fabulosity/Bre-Bre:wave:,

So you are going to do it huh? I had a feeling as you and I have very similiar hair, so I understood everything you were going through:yep:. I have no regrets about texturizing/texlaxing at all. I used a combination of Sacera and a few other LHCFers strategies. It turned out great. I used Silk Elements Mild and I did test sections first and I broke my hair into 3 sections, front half, top back half, and bottom back half, all of which have a different type of texure and needs. It took a long time to do it but it was worth it.

Now as far as new growth is concerned, it is very weird, I am about 7 weeks post and I can't see my new growth but I can feel it! I want to wait till 16 weeks but think I will touch up at 12 weeks this time, and go from there. I knew I would have no regrets because I was ready and I was so tired and unhappy. This is not a perfect solution, but I am much happier with my hair, I get it washed and detangled much quicker and I have a lot more good hair days than I used to.

Good luck chica, you can do it, just do lots of research, and take your time with your application, do it in sections, at least two, or even 3 or 4. Cut the relaxer with oil and/or protein. Oh and do your roots and ends last because they process the quickest. Can't wait to see the pics.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Gosh, a compliment from you is the ultimate!! I lubbs your hair.

Anyway, I plan on wearing my hair still in a wash and go and also straightened about a week out of the month. Also, I will still be bunning. I just need a slightly looser texture because these knots and what not are killing me. Also, since i've been exercising quite a bit i'm going to need a simpler regimen and i'm thinking that texlaxing will do it for me (hopefully lol). I hope I will still have most of my texture, that is my plan anyway. I just would like to loosen it up a bit.