Ladies I think i'm losing my natchal battle

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I am losing this battle with my hair. I just don't know. I feel like at any point I am going to go out, get some perm and just perm my hair. I am tired of the knots, tangles, my hair is just not easy to deal with. I am seriously, seriously, thinking of texlaxing very soon.

Ladies that went from natchal to texlaxed what process did you use? Do I just put the perm on my entire head? Lawd, what is I'm gon' do??

Aww I feel that way.

I've converted from natchal like 2wice...

I'm keeping my head covered with wigs til I am suew.

when i did texlax again, I carefully re-read tips from others who are successfully self texing.

I would texlax if ONLY the top of my head didn't get stick straight.

It always happens... the front is straight... the back is curly. i look a mess

Aww I feel that way.

I've converted from natchal like 2wice...

I'm keeping my head covered with wigs til I am suew.

when i did texlax again, I carefully re-read tips from others who are successfully self texing.

I would texlax if ONLY the top of my head didn't get stick straight.

It always happens... the front is straight... the back is curly. i look a mess

See, this is my fear too. I don't want my progress to go down the drain by messing up this texlaxing process.

And what do texlaxers do with straight hair and nappy edges??

Nothing to add really....But you're not alone. I feel the same way. I'll keep watch on this thread.

What is your reason for being natural?
Because i love natural hair and i don't want to be bothered with perming my hair every 8wks, or 12 wks or however long it will be for me. Also, I don't want my daughter to grow up thinking that natural hair is not acceptable, i want to set a good example for her.

Because i love natural hair and i don't want to be bothered with perming my hair every 8wks, or 12 wks or however long it will be for me. Also, I don't want my daughter to grow up thinking that natural hair is not acceptable, i want to set a good example for her.

well then, tell yourself that everytime you get ready to perm

also, make sure you let your daughter know that while natural hair is acceptable relaxers are just another style choice so if later in life she's decided to relax she won't feel guilty or like she disappointed mama

Do you wear your hair down daily? This could be a cause of knotting and tangles.
Get some braids or something for awhile, so you can stay out of your hair.
Your reasons for being natural sound good and I think you will regret it if you relax.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I was supposed to be relaxing my hair for the first day of spring but I chickened out. I think I'm doing well maintaining it and combating the knots and tangles, however, my issue is that I don't know how to style my hair. I don't like twists and things like that on my own hair because I don't think its long enough. My hair is not long enough for the styles I'd like to wear.

But, I've been in braids since May so I'm content:grin:

well then, tell yourself that everytime you get ready to perm

also, make sure you let your daughter know that while natural hair is acceptable relaxers are just another style choice so if later in life she's decided to relax she won't feel guilty or like she disappointed mama

Yes, I will definitely instill in her that no matter what her hair is fine either way.

Dee, i dunno if i'm going to be able to avoid this desire to perm though. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if it happens yall

Do you wear your hair down daily? This could be a cause of knotting and tangles.
Get some braids or something for awhile, so you can stay out of your hair.
Your reasons for being natural sound good and I think you will regret it if you relax.

No, i don't wear it down daily, but I sure would love to in a nice flowy style on a regular basis. I would love to be able to rollerset and have soft flowy hair, and just think I wouldn't even need to flatiron it and it won't sweat out.

You are right though, I may end up regretting it, or you never know..i may love it (i am so torn lol)
I totally understand where you're coming from, I was supposed to be relaxing my hair for the first day of spring but I chickened out. I think I'm doing well maintaining it and combating the knots and tangles, however, my issue is that I don't know how to style my hair. I don't like twists and things like that on my own hair because I don't think its long enough. My hair is not long enough for the styles I'd like to wear.

But, I've been in braids since May so I'm content:grin:

I hear you about the twists and such.

I have been "almost" apl in the back for like 6 months or so. I just have a feeling these knots and tangles and such are hindering my progress. I should be APL by now :wallbash:

I am losing this battle with my hair. I just don't know. I feel like at any point I am going to go out, get some perm and just perm my hair. I am tired of the knots, tangles, my hair is just not easy to deal with. I am seriously, seriously, thinking of texlaxing very soon.

Ladies that went from natchal to texlaxed what process did you use? Do I just put the perm on my entire head? Lawd, what is I'm gon' do??

i feel you bre! i am slowly but surely losing this transitioning battle all the while encouraging others when I'M the one who needs it!!!

i was picturing myslef just today with a bone straight relaxer and the ease of detangling my hair without all of the above mentioned...i am hanging on my just my fingertips and they are starting to bleed...:wallbash:

sorry, i don't have any answers to your question, i just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. *sigh*

Last edited:

WOW. everything you said is why i am transitioning...

Denvergirl what is we gon' do.

Promise me this. Don't perm/texlax until you pm me just to be sure this is it and I will do the same.

I tell you though, I am so close I can taste it.

I wish naturals could know in advance these times are going to come! its normal for most of us! just realize your going to get frustrated with your hair and the time and effort you have to put in, you would relaxed too! Just dont think everytime you feel the frustration that it means you must want to relax.......it just might be normal frustration! I dont think any natural hair is easy to deal with , but it depends on what your willing to put into it, time wise, to work through the tangles to prevent the tangles etc. If you want to stay natural I say look into things that will make your detangling easier for you and eliminate some of the knots

Denvergirl what is we gon' do.

Promise me this. Don't perm/texlax until you pm me just to be sure this is it and I will do the same.

I tell you though, I am so close I can taste it.

it's a DEAL! *insert hand shaking smilie here*

the only thing that is saving me is the fact that i CW everyday...

me too. i have a box of ORS in my closet AS I TYPE....it's been there for months but, i am feeling like it is time to put it to good use...

Yes, I will definitely instill in her that no matter what her hair is fine either way.

Dee, i dunno if i'm going to be able to avoid this desire to perm though. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if it happens yall

just be sure you really give yourself enough time to really think it through and make sure its the thing you really want to do

I wish naturals could know in advance these times are going to come! its normal for most of us! just realize your going to get frustrated with your hair and the time and effort you have to put in, you would relaxed too! Just dont think everytime you feel the frustration that it means you must want to relax.......it just might be normal frustration! I dont think any natural hair is easy to deal with , but it depends on what your willing to put into it, time wise, to work through the tangles to prevent the tangles etc. If you want to stay natural I say look into things that will make your detangling easier for you and eliminate some of the knots

Thanks for responding. Yeah, i've been natural for almost 2 years and it has been quite a ride. I am trying to take a chill pill I promise :lachen: I am going to go co wash and dry in some bantu's shortly.

Thanks for offering words of wisdom.

Girl, don't think the battle will end when you relax:nono:...I am currently transitioning bc I lost the battle with "how long should I stretch" and "how do I pamper the two textures while I do so"..."trying not to relax bone-straight and texlax, but how do I make it consistent?" You end up with a bunch of different textures and some parts may lose their curl altogether, while some parts are tightly coiled and altogether it looks weird. "Gotta make sure I maintain the correct protein-moisture balance for my hair bc even though it's strong, it weakened by the chemicals and is more prone to breaking and snapping and dryness"..."which relaxer do I use"..."which strength, mild or regular" "lye or no lye" "can i add another chemical to color my grays on top of that?" yada yada yada

...the list goes on and on...we have to manage our hair, regardless of the style...just make sure you are changing your hair for reasons that are compelling and decisive for you...you are the one that will have to live with it in the end...either way, don't fret it's not like your blackness will be revoked if you get a relaxer:look:

Awww Bre... or Fabulosity...:look:

I'm not natural, but this is one of the reasons why I went back to relaxing myself. I was natural for 2 years too, tired of the shrinkage, tired of the knots, tired of wearing a puff or twistout (cuz I didn't know how to style it myself), and wasn't retaining length :rolleyes: so I relaxed.

I'm still happy with my decision. If you decide to texlax - or whatever folks wanna call it :look: - you can process just slightly, that way you can still retain most of your texture if you still love the natural look.

Awww Bre... or Fabulosity...:look:

I'm not natural, but this is one of the reasons why I went back to relaxing myself. I was natural for 2 years too, tired of the shrinkage, tired of the knots, tired of wearing a puff or twistout (cuz I didn't know how to style it myself), and wasn't retaining length :rolleyes: so I relaxed.

I'm still happy with my decision. If you decide to texlax - or whatever folks wanna call it :look: - you can process just slightly, that way you can still retain most of your texture if you still love the natural look.
SB i love you like a play cousin but you are wrong for two counts in this post :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Do whatever is best for you Fabulousibre. :look: How have you been wearing your hair lately?

You and sunshinebeautiful got me over here crackin up!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Bre, I've been relaxed all my life, so I don't know what to say but

:bighug:

I admit nothing:lachen:

I see you cutting up too huh? :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Lately i've been wearing a cowashed bun or twistouts. Exciting huh?
:grin:
What do you think about switching up the style? You hair may be tired of it. Or how/what are you using to detangle, etc? Sometimes our hair gets tired of what worked before.

Back