After Relaxing

A

AmilLion

Ladies, after you relax your hair and it's time for you're first wash and condition, what do you do and how?

(Example: some like to wash their hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove buildup and do an Aphogee Protein Treatment.)

What's your regimen?

I wash with Creme of Nature and then use Dudley's DRC-28. Afterwards, I use a moisturizing conditioner like Mizani Moisturefuse.

I have a question....what exactly are they clarifying?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
daviine said:
I wash with Creme of Nature and then use Dudley's DRC-28. Afterwards, I use a moisturizing conditioner like Mizani Moisturefuse.

I have a question....what exactly are they clarifying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any relaxer build-up on the strands so I've heard

AmilLion said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Any relaxer build-up on the strands so I've heard

[/ QUOTE ]

For real /images/graemlins/shocked.gif well It's another wash for me tonight then. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

3 days later, i will wash with a neutralising shampoo just to make sure and then follow up with either aphogee (prophylactic treament against breakage!) or UBH conditioner followed by motions moisture plus and loads of scurl b4 airdrying.

I ask becasue I used to do the DRC-28 once a month. I had then decided that I would clarify before doing it to make sure my hair was clean for the treatment. But I didn't think that this was necessary after a relaxer. I figured if a relaxer could breakdown your hair, it could breakdown whatever crap you have on your hair.......but since you're getting a touchup only, I guess my theory would not really work.

Pandora said:
3 days later, i will wash with a neutralising shampoo just to make sure and then follow up with either aphogee (prophylactic treament against breakage!) or UBH conditioner followed by motions moisture plus and loads of scurl b4 airdrying.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a smart idea @ Pandora to follow-up with a Neutralizing Shampoo. I have a question, does a neutralizing shampoo work like a clarifying shampoo?

daviine said:
I ask becasue I used to do the DRC-28 once a month. I had then decided that I would clarify before doing it to make sure my hair was clean for the treatment. But I didn't think that this was necessary after a relaxer. I figured if a relaxer could breakdown your hair, it could breakdown whatever crap you have on your hair.......but since you're getting a touchup only, I guess my theory would not really work.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is getting interesting now

Pandora said:
i dont think so. i guess it just does that, neutralises any excess alkalinity from the relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

cause I was wondering, should I wash with a Neutralizing shampoo and follow with a protein treatment/moisturizing treatment, and next week follow with a clarifying shampoo, or if I should save using the clarifying shampoo until the wash before my next relaxer?

More like:
Week 1
Relax

Week 2
Wash w/Neutralizing Shampoo
Protein
Moisturize
Set

Week 3
Wash w/Regular shampoo
Moisturize
Set

Week 4
Wash regular shampoo
Mild Protein
Moisturize
Set

Week 5-6
Same as week 4

Week 7
Wash w/clarifying shampoo
Protein
Moisturize
set

Week 8
Relax

Repeat Process

its up to you but i would save the clarifying for before the relaxer. the relaxer processes better without all the gunk in the hair from the weeks. i feel a clarifier is far to strong and stripping after a strong process like a relaxer that strips the hair of moisture anyway.

AmilLion said:
Pandora said:
i dont think so. i guess it just does that, neutralises any excess alkalinity from the relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

cause I was wondering, should I wash with a Neutralizing shampoo and follow with a protein treatment/moisturizing treatment, and next week follow with a clarifying shampoo, or if I should save using the clarifying shampoo until the wash before my next relaxer?

More like:
Week 1
Relax

Week 2
Wash w/Neutralizing Shampoo
Protein
Moisturize
Set

Week 3
Wash w/Regular shampoo
Moisturize
Set

Week 4
Wash regular shampoo
Mild Protein
Moisturize
Set

Week 5-6
Same as week 4

Week 7
Wash w/clarifying shampoo
Protein
Moisturize
set

Week 8
Relax

Repeat Process

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is something gir. I'm going to print this off and see how it works. Very good regime you got going there. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a question though......Wouldn't the damage already be done from the relaxer being in your hair for 3+ days though?

daviine said:
Amillion--why are you repeating the mild protein for weeks 5 and 6?

Just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mild protein that I use is either CPR or ORS. It works really good in softening and strengthening my hair. I take no chances, especially during the cold winter months. Spring, I may revise

that will not happen if it is washed out properly in the first place! this is just a precautionary measure just to make sure. when neutralising after relaxing i like to leave the shampoo on my hair for 5 mins to sit and really neutralise. most 'experts' agree that hair should be shampooed pnly after 2-3 days after relaxing

Pandora said:
that will not happen if it is washed out properly in the first place! this is just a precautionary measure just to make sure. when neutralising after relaxing i like to leave the shampoo on my hair for 5 mins to sit and really neutralise. most 'experts' agree that hair should be shampooed pnly after 2-3 days after relaxing

[/ QUOTE ]

I relaxed last thursday, do you think it's too late to shampoo with neutralizer?

daviine said:
So, why then are you not using the mild protein on week 3?

Again, just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because week two, I'm using a really strong Protein treatment like Aphogee. The following week, I want to really moisturize and then the following week, I'll pick up with my normal wash/mild protein/moisturize/set regimen.

This is a regimen I just thought of, haven't tried it yet.

Okay.......man I hope mine is being washed properly in the first place!!!! I can't wait until my sister gets better at doing her own touchups.....then she can do mine. She won't look at me with three heads when I ask her to do certain things that may seem weird becasue she is a member here too but she only reads ...and only on occasion....she's not as dedicated as we are. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I use a protein treatment (Aphogee 2 min reconstructor) after I relax which has worked well for me.

A few days later I do like Pandora does and use a neutralizing shampoo just for good measure followed by my regular shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner.

The following week I may do a diluted clarify followed by a moisturizing treatment.

I can only do protein treatments maybe twice a month. I'm finding that when I alternate my hair is stronger but it's dryer and I have to add alotta stuff to keep it moisturized. When I approach my 12th week I do a stronger Aphogee to minimize breakage while approaching week 16 and then touch-up again.

i dont think its too late. i am sure most of these beautiful relaxed heads dont do this technique and they still grow hair!!! i think this technique is more important if you relax at the salon. they can be notorious for being careless, esp with the nape area.

Back