ahhh help my ends are breakin off!

kookysnkream

my ends are terribly breaking off. its so sad i think i'm gonna cry. lol. i give my hair protein treatments...I try to moisture my hair as often as possible and my ends just ridiculously shed. this is what is restricting my hair from having some noticable growth. so, does anyone know what i should do or use on my ends to prevent more loss of breakage? plleeeeease help me!

kookysnkream

i just started about 2 weeks ago to wash my hair with just conditioner. I plan to wash with shampoo about once a month. i wash my hair about once a week, twice if my hair it just not workin for me. after i wash my hair, i put in redken anti-snap leave in conditioner in my hair and comb it back into a ponytail. and thats really about it.

lunalight7

I understand from the sistahs on this board that in addition to frequent moisture all over your head, you have to give extra moisture to your ends and then seal the moisture in with an oil, like EVOO, jojoba, etc. What are u doing now?

miss_brown

Try Adrienne's baggie method (moisturizing ends with curl activator and Vaseline, putting in bun, placing plastic bag around it, attaching drawstring ponytail). You can either do a search for it or look in her picture album, which gives pictures and more details. From what I understand, lots of ladies are benefitting from it. Good luck

miss_brown

Don't be sorry. Yes, a drawstring ponytail is just a fake ponytail that has two combs which you attach to your hair and then secure by pulling the string. S-Curl and Worlds of Curls are both excellent activators. Check out Adrienne's photo album for complete explanation.

[ QUOTE ]
i just started about 2 weeks ago to wash my hair with just conditioner. I plan to wash with shampoo about once a month. i wash my hair about once a week, twice if my hair it just not workin for me. after i wash my hair, i put in redken anti-snap leave in conditioner in my hair and comb it back into a ponytail. and thats really about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Redken's Anti Snap was the dryest thing I ever put in my hair. I hear some raves on it but for me it just made super dried out and if that's all your using in your hair in between washing, then your hair may be missing out on more moisture. Use deeply moisturizing conditioners when you wash and keep it on the hair for a good 30 mins to let it really sink in. Also you should consider using a different leave in and stop using Anti Snap, Elucence is a common fave on this board but there's loads of others too. Also, would you consider trying s-curl? it really does soften and moisturize the hair.

Adrienne's baggy method def. sounds like a winner or alternatively try putting extra virgin olive oil on wet ends after rinsing out conditioner.

Hot oil pre treatments work reallllly well too, concentrate the oil on the lower half of your hair, smoothing it all over the tips and shampoo out after an hour or so.

There was a thread by you before 5/13 on hair breakage. Did you manage to use any of the advice given then?

Good luck

TwistNMx

Try applying carrot oil (paying special attention to the ends) at night before bedtime. Wear a drawstring ponytail to keep the ends from the elements when you go out. I assume that you are currently in a very dry or cold climate.
Good luck.

Armyqt

Like BRH said, EVOO on wet ends to seal in the moisture is fantastic. Elucence is a great deep conditioner that will leave your hair feeling very moisturized. It also doubles as a leave-in, so you're getting 2 for 1 here.

Also, are you saying that you're washing once a week with conditioner and 1 a month with shampoo? If so, this could definitely be a problem. let me know and I'll have more to add.

whitelily626

I see that you are natural with relaxed ends. If you still have the relaxed ends that could very well be the problem. I have found that it is so very difficult to maintain hair that is two different textures because your natural hair is so much stronger than the relaxed hair. I am struggling with a similiar problem in that half my hair is mildly relaxed and half is relaxed and overprocessed (thanks to the 'professional' stylist that use to do my hair). I am still trying to hold on to the overprocessed hair until it grows out a little more. However, it tends to snap right at the point where the two textures meet. I have been using
Clairol Daily Renewal 5X for the past few weeks and have seen a improvement in the strength of my hair. I use the shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in. You may want to give it a try.

kookysnkream

curlycrly: yes it has been a year. and i got a lot of great growth, but since i've been havin breakage at the ends, my hair has been the same length for the past year. my hair is kinda of layered...the longest section (which is about a good 2-3 inches) reaches the middle between my shoulder blades.

lily: yeah i've gotten so many suggestion on so many different products. i dont want to buy a million of them and the same time and then not see which really does work. but i was thinkin about gettin come clairol.

armyqt: yeah i do coniditon my hair about once a week...but i guess i'm going to have to change that. the only reason why i didnt b4 is because when i used to get my hair pressed at the salon, my stylist said my ends were dry because i put too much water in my hair? but on this board u guys say water and then a good oil to lock in moisture is great for hair?

but yeah i think i'm gonna get some s-curl tonite because that sounds like a definite most have. also has anyone tried the Lotus Powder HennaJoy suggested? because i've been really wanted to try that cuz I have curly hair that tends to get a lot of shrinkage and frizz

Kamilla16

KookysnKream...

I have been in the same situation since I can remember.
Last month when I measured my hair I realized that I almost got an inch of growth per month. My hair length is staying the same though!!!

Since I started taking care of my hair, I have noticed that I can really go a long time w/ out relaxing than I ever have, and the back part of my hair has benn growing lke a weed.

For the first time, I can actually feel my hair inching slowly down my back!!! Hopefully if I can retain length, I will be 3 inches from brastrap in DEC.

I am definately going try Protein treatments prior and after my relaxer (5 days prior/after) Iwill get another touch in about 2 months. Between then I will wear Weave ponytails w/ baggie method, and I will get Med. sized braids with human hair. I lookin for at least 1.5 inches of growth.

Plus I am going to start back taking my vits.
Sory so long....
I just had to type how I felt...

GOOD LUCK.

Armyqt

If you're only rinsing your hair once a week with conditioner and then only washing once a month, you could have some buildup which may be drying your hair out. The ends being the oldest part of the hair, is the most susceptible. I believe most of the ladies doing the CG routine (conditioner only washes), do it more often than once a week and at some point use something to clarify (like lemon juice added to the conditioner). On any account, water is the best moisturiser for your hair. I think your hair would benefit tremendously from rinsing with conditioner a little more often. Definitely get the S-Curl. That will help alot.

You can also try un-refined coconut oil for softening up the hair. What I do for me and my daughter (she's natural), is rub some into my hands and then distribute evenly throughout the hair, concentrating a lil extra on the ends. It makes my lil one's hair incredible soft and manageable. It actually smooths the texture of her hair down. It's an absolute must have. Give it a try and let me kow how you like it.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
You know how we do conditioner washes. Well, sometimes I do conditioner washes on my ends only. I believe this and not using heat has really helped my ends. You should try it.

T

Tee

Redken Anti-Snap has a lot of protein and it and will dry out and harden your hair if used too frequently on hair that doesn't need it. IMO, this is a good leave-in if you're hair is severely damaged and overprocessed, but for healthy hair, it's too much.

sweetcocoa

I transistioned with no problems...moisture was the key for my ends... You may need to mist your ends daily (use a mixture of distilled water and jojoba or olive oil). Keep your ends moist...especially if they are the relaxed and dry. Also be careful with glycerine. It's not for everyone. My hair starts out moist when I first use it...but after continued use it dries it out and I shed alot. Also I agree with Armyqt...you may have a buildup.
Hard water dried my ends out...so if you do rinse watch out for that.... but the easiest way to keep your ends moist is with a mist of water(like I mentione above)...just be sure to use distilled or purified water...no tap water). Then oil your ends while they are wet. I did this with my bangs and they have really grown and are no longer dry.

Pumpkin

My end were coming off as of last night and I wanted to curl up and die. None of the oils mentioned work on my hair when it's dry so I tried some John Frieda's Frizz Ease Serum for relaxed hair and it was da bomb
My ends are smooth and they don't feel as brittle. And there is not as much hair breaking off as before. And to think I was ready to throw that bottle out.

Armyqt

Pumpkin, products usually work better on wet hair. Try using some of your oils on wet hair next time and see how that works.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Pumpkin, products usually work better on wet hair. Try using some of your oils on wet hair next time and see how that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%

aqualung

My advice for end care:

Consider logging onto www.hairoil.com and getting Beverly Johnson's Constant Care for Ends. It keeps the ends straight but hydrates without clumping/pasting strands together. Rub the cream between your palms and it'll heat and melt to a clear liquid. Apply to shafts and ends daily in the morning before work and at night before sleeping (in satin scarf). Always apply AFTER combing -- never before. Of course if your ends are fragile, don't comb too often. Wear your hair up in protective styles daily and keep those ends tucked in.

ChocolateCutee

If you are transitioning then you really need to keep your ends healthy. It also sounds as if you need a trim.

Keeping your ends moisturized is a must. make sure you deep conditon every time you wash.

Right where the newgrowth meets the relaxed ends are really week so you need to be careful when handling it.

If it continues to break then I suggest just cutting the relaxed ends of. What would be the point on keeping damaged ends. It could potentially damage the the newgrowth. You should have enough hair to cut it if you been transitioning for a while

check out some natural sites to help you also

hope that heled a lil

BlkHoneyLuv2U

I'm transitioning also and have noticed that my hair is breaking. I wash it on a weekly basis and moisturize daily I keep my hair braided and rebraid it every three or four days. when I comb it out after taking the braids out, I have a lot of hair in the comb(wide tooth). None of my new growth is breaking off, just the hair that is still relaxed. Would it be advisable to cut off the relaxed ends and just try working from the new growth. What do ya think?