Airdry...Can this be bad sometimes?

Mook's hair

I'm trying to do no direct heat until July. Wooo. My hair seems to feel even dryer and more brittle when I air dry.

Because of some past touchups gone wrong, I have mid-strand areas that are not so relaxed. My hair seems to like spiral curls done with a ceramic flatiron or curling iron. when I use direct heat you cannot even detect the unrelaxed midstrand texture.

Is it possible that the heat is good? Is is better to tame my hair to be all one texture? I normally wash my hair once a week and sprial it after it is dry. The curls will last until my next wash.

This week I started the no blow dryer/no flat-iron/no direct heat regimen and I've already washed or co-washed my hair 3 times. It just felt so dry to touch and little pieces were breaking when I combed it. my ends looked pretty junkie too. I need some advice. :(

well i can't air dry i have sinus problems so i can't leave my hair wet for a long time. after i wash my hair i go under the dryer for about 25 min to get most of the dampness out then i let my hair dry on it own, but most of the water is gone. sorry i can't help you but some of the ladies will come in to chime in on your problem good luck.

I always airdry with my hair wrapped. I apply a leave-in conditioner and seal with a bit of oil, and sometimes use wrapping foam before I wrap it up. Then when I take it down, usually the next morning, I flat-iron with a Silk Elements heat protectant, maybe spray a bit of oil-sheen for finish and it's all good. Maybe try moisturizing, sealing, and wrapping for drying. Allow at least 12 hours. Since i usually wash on a weekend evening, this works for me. I just wrap, tie a silk scarf, sleep in a little and when I'm ready take it down. It may appear frizzy and all, but that smooth look from heat is a false sense of health. I believe air-drying to be beneficial in the long run, you just have to find your way of managing it well.

I do think that airdrying may not be a good idea all the time. I have hte same problem as you with the different textures.

My hair is about half straight and half texlaxed. It gets tricky and even more from 5 weeks post and beyond.

I am an avid airdryer, but I have to flatiron afterwards - at least my texlaxed sections.

Otherwise I would get major breakage because of the different textures.

I do need my flatiron. Even when I try wetsets, my hair is never straight because of my texture. I end up having to flatiron anyway. After sitting under the dryer all that time, that is WAY too much heat.

The only other thing is way a braid out. That may work better.

For me it all depends on the methond I use to airdry. When I airdry my hair naturally it just becomes to pouffy, brittle and then I cannot do anything with it. It becomes too frizzy to even bun neatly. The only way I can airdry is if I put products in and leave my hair curly or I rollerset and let it dry naturally.

I airdry all the time and what works for me is the scarve method. After washing/CO my hair I add my leave in's, moisturers and oil and then tie down with a scave. It takes longer to dry this way because the moisture is trapped in the scarve instead of being able to evapate quickley which leaves your hair more moistured and softer to the touch.

After I airdry I than put a few flexi rods on my hair and the next morning I have a nice set. If I airdry my hair in rollers my hair would take 12-14 hours to dry but when I airdry using the scarve method my hair is dried in about 4 hours.

did you apply a leave-in conditioner? while air drying do you moisture and seal your ends w/ oil? HTH

wheezy807 said:
did you apply a leave-in conditioner? while air drying do you moisture and seal your ends w/ oil? HTH

Yes, I use leav-ins either Infusium 23 or Dove MoistureMist.
I follow with Fantasia ICPM Oil Spray.

Mook's hair said:
Yes, I use leav-ins either Infusium 23 or Dove MoistureMist.
I follow with Fantasia ICPM Oil Spray.

Some people have reported problems with infusium, but I don't know about dove.

I use a heavier moisterizer when I airdry which is most of 99% of the time. I also dry in a bun or ponytail. If its in a bun I have to be ultra careful that my ends are tucked correctly. If I dry in a ponytail I roll the ends so my hair comes out straight.

-A

Back