ALL 4b’ers DO you TRIM your single strand knots?

I straighten my hair and found more than a few of these single strand knots. It must be next to impossible not to get them unless you wear your hair straight all the time.

So glad I did a search on these single strand knots. I've been doing search and destroys and noticed all these single strand knots that weren't there in the winter. I think its because I did many wash and go's (or wash and ponytails) between April - May. I clipped many single strand knots, something I never had before, when I got my hair flatironed on 5/31. Then after that it was like 3 weeks of wash and go's again. Well I flatironed on Sunday and again noticed the single strand knots.

I'm started to think that my hair doesn't like the wash and go's. When I rollerset all winter I didn't have this problem. *sigh* Its way too hot to be rollersetting all summer, but I think that for the sake of length and my sanity I'm not going to do any more wash and go's for a while. Which makes me sad because I went natural so I could wear my hair curly.

I am not sure what my hair texture is yet b/c I am transitioning but I did noticed single strand knots. I would have to totally agree that DETANGLING THROUGHLY has stopped those monsters in their tracks. I was only using a wide tooth comb which was not good enough, then I followed everyone advice and bought a denman brush and it has been a godsend. I could not have made it this far into my transition without one. Here is the link to the one I purchased from Sally Beauty Supply
http://www.sallybeauty.com/http://w...00,default,pd.html/SBS-103200,default,pd.html

The denman is the best! I had had a bad experience with the D3. Ripped out my hair! :wallbash: But, after watching a youtube video by a woman who suggested that D3s aren't the best for 4a or 4b hair, I decided to give it another go, because as my hair grows longer, I can't detangle decently. The woman on the youtube video recommended the D41 as a good detangler and remover of shed hair for coarse, thick, afro hair.

So, I tried it. I loaded my hair up with conditioner. Did my picky pick detangle with a wide toothed comb and then coaxed the denman through. Like buttah!! :grin: It got rid of ALL my shed hair. It was gorgeous. I was able to separate my ends without having to tug about coils or single stard knots that had been caught up on shed hair. I think the key to me retaining length is to detangle more thoroughly and to remove the shed hair. The single strand knots are ALWAYS going to be a factor, because I'm natural...but I don't see why length can't be retained as long as the extra snagging is eliminated by getting rid of shed hair.:yep:

If I wear my hair loose and it is unstretched I will have more tangling and knots. I have stopped wearing wash n goes all together because I would have a head full of knots after. I think I am going to try a wash, twist,take loose and go w/kinky curly and see how that goes.

I never knew there was a name for them! You learn something new everyday. To answer the op - I just leave them alone. I don't have one strand to spare, each one is precious to me!

I used to rip (trying to stop) or trim them out, but NO MORE! NO MORE!!

but is it just happening because we have naturally curly hair? or is it a process like the two strand twist that make them reappear?

I think it's just happening, because curly hair likes to curl, around itself, around each other. The only way to avoid it would probably be to wear your hair straight frequently, but straight hair isn't for me right now. :rolleyes:

I can usually unravel them by sticking a needle through the hole in the center of the knot. The ones I can't unravel, I cut them out of my hair.

I leave them alone unless I'm very annoyed. Last week I cut six SSKs from my bang area but that is rare for me to do.

I leave them alone unless I'm very annoyed. Last week I cut six SSKs from my bang area but that is rare for me to do.

I never got these when my hair was relaxed or when my natural hair was shorter. I'm going to leave them alone for now. Well I'm going to rollerset for a month straight and see if the problem stops. It'll be a shame tho because I really enjoy my wash and go's :nono: but its either that or lose length and that's not an option :perplexed

Really? Hmmmm. :scratchch

Your avatar is so funny! :grin:

Back