Allergic to Indigo? Help Henna Heads!!

Trace

I henna/indigoed this past weeked and didn't have a problem until I got about 30 min into applying the indigo. All of a sudden I felt this intense itching in certain areas on my head and I had to wash it out without letting it set or anything. I tried just using conditioner but it didn't stop the itching, so I washed (which I know your not suppose to do) my hair b/c I thought my hair might fall out or something!!:sad: I had no problems with the henna, everything went smooth and I was able to leave it on for almost 4 hours. Even rinsing it out wasn't bad. Man, but the indigo! I'm thinking that I'm allergic to it somehow. I was cool once I washed it out but now I'm not happy with the color. I was trying to cover my grays, now there are like a cinnamon, reddish color. Should I do a rinse now? Has this happened to anyone else?

Hasnt happened to me and its a rarity that people are allergic to indigo but you may be in that select few. What did you make the indigo with?

I just used hot tap water and rose absolute essential oil, which I also used in the henna to help with the smell.

Prettyface, is indigo typically more difficult to work with than henna? I mixed both to the same yogurt consistency, but I found the indigo harder to coat the hair.

I actually find indigo much eaiser to apply because my hair is already wet from washing the henna out and the consistency is about the same. Where did you buy your indigo from?

If you'd like to give it another shot, try indigo, hot water, and sea salt. It will stain darker with the salt. You only need it on for 30minutes or no longer than an hour. And keep in mind the more you do it the darker it stains. My braid in the photo is after about 2 or 3 indigo treatments.

PrettyFaceANB, I love the color in your hair. I swear, between you & Aggie, I'm thinking about giving up the chase after red hair. :lick:

i had the same reaction the last time i used indigo. i mixed it the same way i always do, water and a pinch of salt. It was real indigo that i ordered online from the mehandi shop @ hennaforhair.com. I am afraid to do another indigo. I had terrible itching. i have to figure out something because my roots are starting to show. it's weird. i have used henna and indigo since 2006 and 2 months ago was the first time i ever had a reaction.

Did you let someone at H4H know, Destiny?? That sounds odd - and I would suspect that something might be up with that batch of indigo/the supplier.....
Had you used that packet of indigo before?

And see, here is a perfect reason to always, always do a skin/strand test - even if you've used the product before. I admit, I only test each 'batch' once (so if I order a pound of henna, and it's all in one bag, I only test it the first time I use it) but still - test ladies, test!

Did you let someone at H4H know, Destiny?? That sounds odd - and I would suspect that something might be up with that batch of indigo/the supplier.....
Had you used that packet of indigo before?

And see, here is a perfect reason to always, always do a skin/strand test - even if you've used the product before. I admit, I only test each 'batch' once (so if I order a pound of henna, and it's all in one bag, I only test it the first time I use it) but still - test ladies, test!

i have sensitive skin. i figured i developed a sensitivity to indigo. i didn't contact catherine. i don't think there was anything wrong with the indigo. I read threads on other henna forums and i found an old thread on henna tribe where someone else experienced itching with indigo.

Prettyface and Kiya, I bought the henna and indigo from mehandi.com. I applied it to my scalp (and over the entire length of my hair), just like I did with the henna. Was that right?

If I do it again, how much salt should I use?

Thanks, Kiya - I will test!

i had the same reaction the last time i used indigo. i mixed it the same way i always do, water and a pinch of salt. It was real indigo that i ordered online from the mehandi shop @ hennaforhair.com. I am afraid to do another indigo. I had terrible itching. i have to figure out something because my roots are starting to show. it's weird. i have used henna and indigo since 2006 and 2 months ago was the first time i ever had a reaction.

I know you can develop an allergy to something that hasn't bothered you before. Did the itching stop right after you rinsed the indigo out? I'm trying to weigh if I should try it again b/c I really liked the henna. It's a great alternative to commercial dyes. I'm just concerned about repeated use and developing a severe reaction as a result. :nono:

I'm allergic to amla and I had a terrible reaction the SECOND time I used it. Even though these are herbs, you still can be allergic for whatever reason. Remember most allergens are natural substances like trees, pollen, etc.

Lavender you made a recommendation to someone here on the forum and they wanted me to tell you they said thank you. I'd have to look up their screen name on here and thanks too!

Okay on the indigo note, yes it's true some people can be allergic to it if they are sensitive in general. A good alternative is katam but you won't get a true black with this. Just brown tones. I am going to do further testing but if indigo is bothering you please discontinue using it. Sorry it won't work out for you.

Katam is a great alternative for creating brown tones

Lavender you made a recommendation to someone here on the forum and they wanted me to tell you they said thank you. I'd have to look up their screen name on here and thanks too!

Okay on the indigo note, yes it's true some people can be allergic to it if they are sensitive in general. A good alternative is katam but you won't get a true black with this. Just brown tones. I am going to do further testing but if indigo is bothering you please discontinue using it. Sorry it won't work out for you.

Katam is a great alternative for creating brown tones

WHAT is Katam? Never heard of it before. Thanks for replies.

Katam is an herb that grows in yemen. It is used to make brown tones and can go pretty dark, but it is not as strong as indigo. As for mixing it with indigo, I want to do some tests out first and see what the results will be. That may take a few days. I am going to begin tomorow and can post up pics related to that. I got some natural angora mohair. Mixing it with henna is still recommended.

I will do that! I spent most of all yesterday with the tests and still wrapping some of today.

I will have to honestly say though, that katam does not have as good a sift as indigo does. So if anyone ever tries the katam, pelase be aware you have to really wash your hair out EXTRA well

in case anyone hasn't said anything yet, the addition of salt to indigo can be just like a good pinchful per 100 grams. I just toss some in.

Back