Alternative co-Wash Shampoo method

Healthb4Length

Hi! Ya'll know I'm 25+ weeks post texturizer and I am hanging on. I've been doing the braids thing to help control the NG and when I'm out of my braids I do protective styling. I've been bunning it up for the past week and a half, I do co-washes to keep my hair soft and moisturized. As you all know, co-washing can lead to build up on the scalp, Well my scalp was on FIRE Wednesday night and I didn't know what to do. Co-wash and hope the scrubbing my scalp would get rid of the itch or go ahead and do a full on shampoo and conditioner wash, well I decided on the shampoo because I was itching non stop for 30 minutes. Then I had a light bulb moment:bookworm: ! When we get our hair relaxed most of us have some sort of conditioner on the ends and relax the NG only, Why not try that with my shampoo. So I put on tons of moisturizing conditioner on the ends of my hair to where the NG ended and I proceeded to wash my scalp and NG with shampoo and the conditioner was on the rest of the lenghts. Let me tell you ladies my scalp felt so fresh and clean:drunk: :yep: and my ends were like butta:love: ! I will be doing this from now on, I taught I would share this with everyone, especially those stretching out their relaxers and are having a time with the NG...this really helped and I'm working with 3+ inches of NG and it's been a breeze!

Honi

There is no board.
When I first came to the boards I heard about this method. I think it was called condition-wash-condition.

The method was exactly as you explained it. You rinse your hair. Apply conditioner from the ears down (or areas of length you choose). Shampoo your scalp and rinse. The theory was that the rest of your hair would be protected from the shampoo during rinsing because it was initially coated with conditioner. After rinsing you would put more conditioner all over (including the hair nears the scalp and length).

Great idea!

L

LaNecia

:scratchch Perhaps this is why I have had the itchies w/increasing persistence the last few days (CO buildup on the scalp?)

Will give this a method a try this evening! Thanks for sharing!

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I will def have to try this. :) I thought I was the only one that got the iches from doing CO washes back-to-back!!!

tryn2growmyhair

I am happy that you started this thread. I ALSO thought I was the only one who had problems with CO wash and itchies. I tried this tonight. So far, I am sitting under the dryer, so I cant tell you if it will help with the itchies but I can say that the length of my hair felt much better now that I am not coating it with shampoo. Thanks again for sharing this, this might help my hair get through all the workouts I am doing.