Am I crazy..Pls tell me I am not..

PeopleTalkDaily

Good Morning Ladies....

I am so angry my internet is down at home.
As I wanted to post this the moment it happened...

Well the other day I was at home and had just received a touch up.
I have been going to the dominican's to get my hair done and etc.
I was in the bathroom and a friend of mine was over.
I had asked him to make me a measuring t-shirt some weeks ago.
I asked him about it again as I was taking my hair out of the wrap.

He said to me...What do you think your hair is going to grow out all long like the white girls?

I was like what?

He was like I haven't seen your hair longer than it's been now.
I was like your crazy it did get long and it got cut off before and prior to that it broke off..

He was like when are you going to accept if you want your hair to grow long you are going to have to cut your hair all off...

For some reason I was so hurt and felt defeated in a sense...
I mean to me and other folks around me my hair has grown and it's really healthy. This one lady asked me did i Have a weave cause my hair has grown a lot. Not super long but it was really super short before

How or would you even address this?
Or am I crazy for even being hurt and feeling the way I Do?
Please tell me I am not crazy....

FYI-I am at work and I know this post is worthless w/o pictures..I will try to post some later..

Why are you offended/hurt?

ETA: I agree with the posters let your hair do the talking.

Last edited:
Ignore him and just prove him wrong in the futre with your hair geowth success. It could have been worse, at least he did not say that your hair could never grow. He is just ignorant to how hair grows thats all

Its generally the ones closest to us that don't share our goals. I agree don't share with him and Happy Hair Growing! I am sure you are doing a great job.

Honey, just read over what you wrote. Does it even make sense to you? First, he asks if you think your hair is going to grow like a White woman's - he was probably implying that Black women can't grow hair long. Then, he tells you that you have to cut it all off to get it to grow long. That makes no sense whatsoever. If he says anything like that again, roll your eyes or flip it on him and expose how dumb his statements really are (in a nice way though - don't burn any bridges).

It's best to keep your hair goals to yourself. (((HUGS))))

ITA. I stopped telling people a while ago, the only person who knows is my bf because we live together. Let your hair speak for itself. This guy will see you again later on down the road and he will marvel when you take that wrap down and expose a head full of long healthy hair. He will be like:eek2: It will shut him up:yep:

Is he a friend of a boyfriend? I think that maybe it was the person who said it, not necessarily what was said. Brush it off. If I had listened to any of the people that told me I couldn't do this I'd be bald and stressed out LOL If 10 people said wow your hair is growing and 1 person (him) said it isn't, then you'll have to look within yourself as to why it bothered you so much.

By the way, everybody on LHCF (including me) is crazy LOL

No you aint crazy.It is hard when our friends don't see or share our goals. Trust me I have been thru that. Like the other ladies said keep your goals to yourself, and let your hair do the talking. HHG. Don't give up.

He's a clueless dude. (unless he's a stylist of course) Is he? Chicas do not have the monopoly on negativity. You know what your hair is doing. You don't have to debate anybody on that fact.

Thanks ladies...

No he isn't a stylist...LOL
Yeah I know I did brush it off but it kind of hurt.
It hurt because I am now on a regime that is healthy and I see a difference in my hair.
I am not looking for a comment but don't come in my home talking smack about something you have no clue about.

I guess because we are close, I didn't expect to hear something like that out of his mouth..

I will continue happy growing...
Thanks ladies

The proof is in the puddin My dh has only seen me with shoulder length hair i have showed him early picts when i was about 13 or 15 y.o i had waist length but i always LOVE hot hair cuts bobs halle cuts etc so it was nothing to cut and grow it back UNTIL he said that i COULDNT now its on just made apl he thinks that because his mom and sisters ruined their hair with glue weaves and the do not care for their natural hair that it is the same for me When someone tells me that i cant do something its on... i always say that I CAN SHOW YOU BETTER THAT I CAN TELL YOU

Good Morning Ladies....

I am so angry my internet is down at home.
As I wanted to post this the moment it happened...

Well the other day I was at home and had just received a touch up.
I have been going to the dominican's to get my hair done and etc.
I was in the bathroom and a friend of mine was over.
I had asked him to make me a measuring t-shirt some weeks ago.
I asked him about it again as I was taking my hair out of the wrap.

He said to me...What do you think your hair is going to grow out all long like the white girls?

I was like what?

He was like I haven't seen your hair longer than it's been now.
I was like your crazy it did get long and it got cut off before and prior to that it broke off..

He was like when are you going to accept if you want your hair to grow long you are going to have to cut your hair all off...

For some reason I was so hurt and felt defeated in a sense...
I mean to me and other folks around me my hair has grown and it's really healthy. This one lady asked me did i Have a weave cause my hair has grown a lot. Not super long but it was really super short before

How or would you even address this?
Or am I crazy for even being hurt and feeling the way I Do?
Please tell me I am not crazy....

FYI-I am at work and I know this post is worthless w/o pictures..I will try to post some later..

Bolded #1 - He probably hasn't made it yet because he doesn't think you can grow your hair long so what's the point?

Bolded #2 and 3 - Tell him to kick rocks!!!! Girl keep your goals to yourself, make your own damn measuring t-shirt, and when he sees your hair running down your back he'll be able to do nothing else but shut up and let you grow your hair.

Keep your head up girl. That's why I don't tell ppl about my hair goals anymore.

No you are not crazy.

I think we need a sticky that says, "stop telling people your hair goals".

I stopped talking about my hair completely with other people. I dont even tell people that I'm going to get my hair done, thats how much I dont want to talk about my hair. May seem extreme but I dont want any negativity to enter my mind. I have a friend who's telling me my hair has always been short, and she keeps telling me I should just get a weave. I just brush it off...

If you are trying to reach a length you've never had before, and people are gonna tell you it's not possible, of course you're gonna get discouraged. But you know what I've realize what other people think about your hair goals, has nothing to do with you. What they think has no affect on how long and healthy your hair will get. They don't have any control over how much growth comes from your scalp or how much you retain. It's all up to you. So I would stop telling him anything.

Don't feel discouraged; just imagine how stupid he's gonna feel when you do have hair down your back! :grin:

Is he a friend of a boyfriend? I think that maybe it was the person who said it, not necessarily what was said. Brush it off. If I had listened to any of the people that told me I couldn't do this I'd be bald and stressed out LOL If 10 people said wow your hair is growing and 1 person (him) said it isn't, then you'll have to look within yourself as to why it bothered you so much.

By the way, everybody on LHCF (including me) is crazy LOL

And how! :yep:

Nope, you're not crazy: I'd probably feel the same.
I don't tell any of my friends about trying to grow my hair long... NONE!
First of all they don't understand, and a lot of people are miseducated about black women and the ability to 'grow' hair.
The only people that know are my parents, sister and boyfriend: I need to explain the baggying, bonnets, smelly Ayurvedic stuff, vitamin poppin', wigs, etc, don't I!

You have to just let it go. I told my boyfriend that I am going to have APL hair (I just pointed to the spot on my back) by next Christmas and he looked at me like :rolleyes:. Now, mind you - he always compliments my hair & he is supportive, but for the 3 years that he has know me, it has never be longer than SL, so how can he believe it before he sees it? I will have to just show him. He doesn't mean anything bad by it.

Back