Am I sealing correctly?

septemberbaby

I don't think I have the moisturizing & sealing idea correct.

After I wash, deep condition, etc. I towel dry my hair and add a water-based moisturizer such as UBH lotion or ORS Olive Oil in the bottle. Then I put jojoba oil on my hair and add a serum.

I don't think I am because my hair and ends still tend to be dry a few hours and days later. I find myself adding more moisturizer to my ends about an hour after I did because they are still dry and crispy. I also moisturize daily. Do I have to seal each time I moisturize?

Am I doing this correctly? Should I leave or add another product?

How exactly do you seal? Thanks for your help and responses.

C

chica_canella

hmmm, I really don't know. I think I read somewhere that when the hair is wet the cuticles are open which is one of the best times to moisturize and then seal with an oil.

Maybe you have too much protein and not enough moisture in your deep conditioning time?

Are your ends in bad shape?

Maybe someone else can come in and comment.

bLackButtaFly

Maybe the ORS isn't doing anything for your hair. Not all mooisturizers were created equal, and certain things work on your hair and not on others and vice versa. i would suggest trying a differnt moisturizer, maybe mizani h20 or cd's hair milk, or i'm sure some of the other ladies could suggest some other ones.

C

chica_canella

bLackButtaFly said:
Maybe the ORS isn't doing anything for your hair. Not all mooisturizers were created equal, and certain things work on your hair and not on others and vice versa. i would suggest trying a differnt moisturizer, maybe mizani h20 or cd's hair milk, or i'm sure some of the other ladies could suggest some other ones.

That's what I was thinking also. I don't really like ORS mysel. i don't find it moisturizing enough but one i can suggest is Suave humectant conditioner. It's like $1.99.

I can send you some in a little bottle if you'd like. So you won't have to buy it.:)

tryingto

I never thought of the suave for moisturizing, I used to use it for condtioning before I brought Nexxus

myco

bLackButtaFly said:

I agree. Maybe you can try something like Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Repair cream and then seal that with an oil.

I would also look at how you are drying your hair. I can't let my hair air dry in a loose state. I either have to put it in a braid, rollerset, or bun to keep the ends smooth and soft.

locabouthair

i had the same problem you have. every time i moisturized i had to reaaply like an hour or so later. so i started sealing with an oil, for me its necessary. maybe u are using the wrong oil? now that i use castor oil to seal my hair stays moisturized a lot longer. before when i used coconut oil and vit e oil, the moisture didnt last that long.

bravenewgirl87

locabouthair said:
i had the same problem you have. every time i moisturized i had to reaaply like an hour or so later. so i started sealing with an oil, for me its necessary. maybe u are using the wrong oil? now that i use castor oil to seal my hair stays moisturized a lot longer. before when i used coconut oil and vit e oil, the moisture didnt last that long.

Vitamin E is an additive/bonding agent.. it will moisturize the skin (scalp) but it won't do much for the actual hair shaft. Thats why it is in so many products with Tocopherol at the bottom of the list... to hold the product together.

C

chica_canella

bravenewgirl87 said:
Vitamin E is an additive/bonding agent.. it will moisturize the skin (scalp) but it won't do much for the actual hair shaft. Thats why it is in so many products with Tocopherol at the bottom of the list... to hold the product together.

great info. thanks!:)

septemberbaby

thanks again.

Chica: do you use the suave humectant as a moisturizer? Thanks for offering to send me some but my Mom lives across the street from a Harmon's Discount Beauty store and I'm in there just about everyday! :grin:

jrae

chica_canella said:
That's what I was thinking also. I don't really like ORS mysel. i don't find it moisturizing enough but one i can suggest is Suave humectant conditioner. It's like $1.99.

I can send you some in a little bottle if you'd like. So you won't have to buy it.:)
Are you using Suave Humectant as a leave-in?

jrae

locabouthair said:
yep! Me, too. I like how it dries with coconut oil but it doesn't last long... like one day.

jrae

shakira74 said:

After I wash, deep condition, etc. I towel dry my hair and add a water-based moisturizer such as UBH lotion or ORS Olive Oil in the bottle. Then I put jojoba oil on my hair and add a serum.

I don't think I am because my hair and ends still tend to be dry a few hours and days later. I find myself adding more moisturizer to my ends about an hour after I did because they are still dry and crispy. I also moisturize daily. Do I have to seal each time I moisturize?
Cross-wrapping made difference in my ends. I used to have dry and crispy ends, too. I'll use Profectiv or Mango butter or Mizani, then an oil (Hot Sixx, Castor Oil, or whatever) and then cross-wrap for the night. In the morning, I remove the clips and can just shake it or use my hands. I might put a roller or two around the front if my bangs need a little bump.

honey4real

shakira74 said:

Am I doing this correctly? Should I leave or add another product?

How exactly do you seal? Thanks for your help and responses.

You may also want to look into the type of shampoo you are using. Is it a ph balanced shampoo or a shampoo that's for chemical or dry hair ? If not you may want to try one of those so you can get the moisture balance you need.