Am I the only one?

inthestars

Am I the only one who has no idea of what a full head of their natural hair looks like? My hair was pressed from the time I was 3, then when I was 7, it was permed.

daviine

I've seen pictures of it when I was younger but its really hard to say because I don't know what was done to it to achieve the look in the photos. I don't know how often it was done but my hair was also pressed whn I was younger. My hair was relaxed at 9.

I would love to know what my hair would like...and see what kind of styles I might achieve with it using the information form this board.

No girl, you're not the only one.

LondonDiva

I think it's been a little uner 2 years since I've been relaxed again and I have totally forgotten since the age of 21 let alone 3 years old.

Country gal

I just remember having my hair pressed when I was younger. I used to feel happy because my hair appeared longer when pressed. My poor mother just didn't know how to fix hair. I had nice hair it was just very thick.

inthestars

Thanks for replying guys. I just cut off all my hair and I don't know what to expect. I had already cut an inch off the back very short last month, just to get ready for the big chop. Already, that hair is growing back and it looks ok, but I still don't know what to expect!

garr6982

If you already know this info, ignore the links, I'm just trying to help /images/graemlins/laugh.gif!

Go to www.nappurality.com, Women on the Web, to see beautiful natural hairstyles. Checkout, Motowngirl (who needs to write a book), got2beme, DeeCoily, and Yante Coi (you may not be able to access her site yet) and others.

They all have pics there, and all you do is click and view! The styles range from very beautiful TWA to 12+inches(from scalp to ends)of natural twisted, blow-dryed, braided, locked hair.

Congrats on your big chop! Looking back, I wish I would have done the same! Instead, I opted to do braids and fight the two textures I encountered when I tried to wear my hair without the braids /images/graemlins/shocked.gif! IMO, I think you will have a better transition since you can see what your natural hair looks like and how to manipulate it a lot quicker than trying to decide which texture is which! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also check out www.nappyhair.com and www.naturallycurly.com

I hope you find some great styles!

Jenai

No dear, you are not. Mother styled it pressed or natural when I was a kid. Then I relaxed it. I wish there was a shampoo that would wash out a relaxer, cause I am too chicken to do the big chop to find out. I really admire all the natural ladies on this board.

adrienne0914

my hair was natural until i was 26 or 27. can't remember. i liked it then. i like it now. it's easier to manage now and longer, but i think i would have been able to achieve both then too if i'd had access to boards like this and all their useful info.

adrienne

Valerie

You don't have to chop of your relaxed hair, you can grow it out, but to make things easier you braid your hair, until you are comfortable with the length you have got them you can remove the relaxed ends. Some people like to get at least two months of growth, then they cut it off. That can be very daunting, especially if you have long hair and it seems ages to grow back and it doesn't seem like it is growing, but when you have a hair album, you can chart your progress.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Like daviine, I have pictures but I don't remember what was done to achieve the look. I've only styled my relaxed hair by myself.
I do remember that my hair felt stiff and greasy 99% of the time. I don't want that!