And the Oscar goes to...

ShaniKeys

What has been for you the most effective regimen so far? Did it take you a long time or did you try several other regimens before finding the one that works for your hair? Did this regimen also help you achieve maximum growth?

I have a great regimen that does wonders to my hair, it's soft, manageable, thick and health, but as far as growth:look:...but that may be b/c I haven't mastered the protective styling technique yet:perplexed .

What about y'all?

For me, the best thing has been to just keep it simple.

Shampooing and conditioning, low heat, moisture.

I don't really have any actual growth difference (unless I use aids which is not often) but my rate of retention is steady when I just keep it simple.

I don't have any long drawn out regimen and I don't spent much time on my hair. The biggest step for me the airdrying because ti takes so long, but I really don't do anything major to my hair. I don't even deep condition often (once a month or so only after henna or a protein treatment) and my hair is fine and well moisturized.

It was when I was "trying to hard" when my hair was giving me trouble or becoming too serious and I was spending too much time out of my life thinking about my hair.

I'm still getting to know what my hair does and doesn't like, but so far, my regimen is: On Mondays, I pre poo with any oil that's laying around the house. Then I wash with NTM shampoo and dc with Queen Helene Cholesterol w/Ginseng. On Fridays, pre poo w/Motions CPR, shampoo and condition w/NTM. Oh, and I baggy every day with Profectiv and castor oil.

deep conditioning and keeping my hair moisturized has been the saver of my hair!

The more moisture I get the better off my hair strands are... I am now starting to do conditioner washes on my off shampoo days. This keeps moisture in for me. My thing is just discipline!! But if I stick with it I definitely see results... like Honeydew said.. I like to keep it simple. I don't baggy, pre-poo or wear protective styles... I just keep it moisturized, deep conditioned and do protein treatments when needed.

In four sections: pre-poo, poo, deep condition. Then moisturize each section and make fat twists. After it dries, I unravel and clip my hair for the week.

In the week (nights) I use the baggie method and then I spritz (in the a.m.), clip and go. If i'm not lazy I follow this and it works best for me.

I have also found that aubrey organic conditioners are working really well.. better than my cheap suave and oil for pre poo- but I won't nix that combo altogether yet cause the AO is expensive.

The most effective regimen for me has been washing and deep conditioning every 3-4 days, wet bunning, and airdrying. I adapted this regimen to go with the Hide Your Hair Challenge. It is easy, only takes 3-4 products per wash session ('poo, DC, rinse out conditioner, and oil). If I am very efficient, this process is less than an hour, it's fun and relaxing, and I can do my skin regimen and hair at the same time. The first day after I wash, my hair is still wet so I don't take down the bun, the second day, I either use Dove Mist or spray from the shower to smooth the hair back and tie down, and the 3rd day I either do the same or wash again.:look: The only thing I change if I plan to flat iron is instead of adding oil to wet hair, I add CHI serum, and dry under the hooded dryer.

OT, but I have a leave-in arsenal that is just embarassing. I never use any of it anymore, and I am thinking of taking it down to the women's shelter.

Now that I think about it, the most effective regimen for me was a CWC routine every 3-4 days. I always airdry and moisturize and oil everyday. In the summer, I had a lot of success with every other day washes. I think I will go back to this.

for me, it was no heat and protective styling. I have only used heat maybe three times in this past year.(direct heat) I was very happy with the length I gained this way during my first year of hair care.

Thanks for all the helpful tips, I'm def gonna try to master a few techniques like protective styling and low heat:( . Thank you ladies

shampooing/deep conditioning every 5-7 days, stretching relaxers, eating well, exercising, drinking plenty of water, and leaving my hair alone...

I've tinkered around with several regimens before finding the one that was right for me and my busy lifestyle.

The best regime for me has been washing twice a week, deep conditioning after each wash, rollersetting to dry and cross wrapping at night. I moisturize my ends every day and when my curls start to fall or when my hair looks a little flat, I will clip it up in an octopus clip. I use protien every two weeks or so and use boundless tresses on my scalp every other day. I do take plenty of vitamins a day but they are not just for hair health. I don't think about hair as much as I used to either. When it gets there, it gets there. I try to focus more on what I have accomplished already and just stay consistent. If I don't feel up to doing my hair the way I should, I will grab some conditioner and go get a cheap set at the beauty school.

What hasn't worked for me though is stretching to long. I get more damage and while it might get better as I go along, I am not going to stress waiting 4 months between relaxers.

My best regime has been keeping it simple and sticking to the basics. Each week, I wash, deeeeeeeep condition, leave-in conditon, roller set (avoiding heat), wrap at night with a silk bonnet or scarf. I also, maintain moisture, less combing/manipulation and once the 'do' is done, I let it be.

Each morning, I combine a shea butter pomade and a few drops of oil as I loosen my wrap to finger-style. If my hair is acting crazy, I opt to do a cute loose pin-up before I consider the flat-iron heat. Most often, the pin up works out. I emphisize loose because tight up-do's stress and break hair.

Although I am a product junkie I don't make concoctions. I just alternate poo's and con's depending on what I think my hair wants. Besides, if you're using so much at once, how will you know what works and what doesn't?

I love reading raves and reviews of what works for others but that's about all I do, read them. I may try one or two if it's cheap or if I REALLY need help but 99.9% of the time, I don't.

I've tinkered around with several regimens before finding the one that was right for me

I'm still searching for the PERFECT one, I have a few products that work great on my hair, but I'm still trying out a couple other (PJ:() just to be sure which one I REALLY need to stick to, thanks for the tips ladies ,keep 'em coming.

The regimen that works for me is pre-pooing, shampoo 1x a week and conditioning. If I need to wash more frequently, I co-wash. Washing in braids has reduced tangling and breakage significantly. Also combing my hair in sections under the shower stream with conditioner works wonders. Henna 1x a month strengthens my hair, I see a difference when I slack off. I also don't comb my hair except when washing otherwise I fingerstyle.

It is definitely trial and error. I decided to practice healthy hair practices in Feb 2005. I was natural for the first year of my healthy hair regimen...and most of that was transitioning and slowly cutting off the relaxed ends, while hiding my hair under a wig.

And I have been relaxed for only the past year, which has turned out to be a whole other ball game. As a result, I had two major setbacks, since being relaxed.

But I am settling into it now, and it has been smooth sailing for the passed two relaxers. I suspect my setbacks were due to the fact that I self-relaxed. The passed two relaxers were done professionally, and I have been retaining most of the growth since.

My regimen was originally inspired by the book by Carolyn Gray. But now it is a generic hybrid of what is common on the boards:

For the most part, I do the following:
  • deep condition once a week,
  • prepoo always, with either EVOO, honey, cheapie condish, coconut milk (a variation of all of these).
  • co-wash midweek,
  • wear buns 99% of the time,
  • relax every 12 weeks (I stretched 14 weeks once...which was so so)...,
  • dust ends when I relax
  • moisturize twice daily (favs are S-Curl and Mango Butter)
  • and seal with oil (favs are WGO, Pure Jojoba or EVOO)
  • comb hair only when wet
  • love, love, love, baggies.

Last edited:
Priestess said:
The regimen that works for me is pre-pooing, shampoo 1x a week and conditioning. If I need to wash more frequently, I co-wash. Washing in braids has reduced tangling and breakage significantly. Also combing my hair in sections under the shower stream with conditioner works wonders. Henna 1x a month strengthens my hair, I see a difference when I slack off. I also don't comb my hair except when washing otherwise I fingerstyle.

That pretty much sums up my regimen. I've been doing that for a year now, and my hair is really healthy, I'm gonna focus on MORE growth now:)

Back