How long did it take you to establish a regimen that works?

MochaMooch

Hey ladies. I was wondering how long it took you all to develop an effective regimen (including products and technique) and how often you change it? I'm still trying to develop a regimen but there's so many products and information out there so it's hard to know where to start. I initally just copied all the products and styles used by someone whose hair I admired but not a single one of those products agreed with my hair :nono:. It would be nice to know how long it took some of you to find your staples and techniques.

I know there are a lot of threads about regimens but I didn't see one that answered this question so apologies if this has been asked. :blush3:

IslandDiva08

To me it seems that after the two year mark you should have a semi effective regiment and after three years you should have an effective regiment that works for you. That’s my observation after reading most of the postings on here and listening to quite a few you-tube videos.

I have been natural for a year and three months and I have narrow down my product list to those that works on my hair......I am not a band-wagoninst (I am making up my own word here) anymore. As far as my techniques goes, this area hasn’t been perfected as yet…….I am still trying out different ways to detangle, style and maintain my hair………….but going off my theory I have a year and seven months to go (lol) :grin::grin::grin:.

Hopefully you will get more feedback on your question.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
It took me about a year. I still try a few products every now and then but definitely have my staples.

I spent around $500 finding it though...:sad: but in the end its worth it.

As far as styles, I just figured that out this year. I either bun or rollerset. That's enough for me without getting too complicated.

MilkChocolateOne

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
Hey ladies. I was wondering how long it took you all to develop an effective regimen (including products and technique) and how often you change it? I'm still trying to develop a regimen but there's so many products and information out there so it's hard to know where to start. I initally just copied all the products and styles used by someone whose hair I admired but not a single one of those products agreed with my hair :nono:. It would be nice to know how long it took some of you to find your staples and techniques.

I know there are a lot of threads about regimens but I didn't see one that answered this question so apologies if this has been asked. :blush3:

Did they have the same hair type as you? That might have been the initial problem? Also, like anything else trail and error. It does take time. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me because I have two different hair types and some products that works for one part, often doesn't work as well for other parts of my hair:ohwell:, Also as my hair grows things that worked before doesn't work the same now. I think a good way to start is to read some of Sistaslick blogs, (I can't post the link b/c I'm at work) but she offers some great advice on regimen building and where to start for poo and cons.

KurlyNinja

I think my reggie keeps changing because my hair keeps changing. I'm in the middle of transitioning. But at least now I know exactly what to look for and how my hair is suppose to feel and look like and it took me about 6 months to get to know my hair. So i'll say 6 months. I can read the ingredients on the back of the bottle and know if my hair will like it or not.

Kiki0130

Well my reggie changed as my hair got longer. So 6 months per stage.

I'm a real slow learner so it seems as though it's taking me, on average, a
year per stage.

My hair was last relaxed 6/19/2007 so there was the fumbling around with
the transitioning stage for more than a year and just when I thought I had
it down, I cut my relaxed ends off.

Once I had all natural hair - same thing. I fumbled around for some time
until I thought I had it down, then I realized my hair was retaining length
and I had more styling options. Required adding/subtracting products.

Now that my hair is even longer, APL (I think - I have to wait until my
son comes back from his dad's so he can help me measure, lol) I've come
to realize that less is more and am paring down my routine. So what used
to take me days to get the right moisture/protein/style/bling or whatever
takes me hours.

That newcomer's guide mentioned ^^ was and is extremely helpful.

Finding pictures and videos of people whose hair looked and seemed to
behave like mine helped too. My main source of inspiration during the
difficult times was Cynthiarf on YouTube. Our hair types are most
similar from what I can tell through the limitations of video.

Last edited:

Rossy2010

It has taken me 4 months but i cant say that Im completely done. Reading from these ladies it looks like my hair is going to start talking soon at a different lengt :yep:

Carisa

Less than a month. A few years ago I bought hair book with the intentions of learning how to do hair styles and relaxers. I also started looking at hair websites a couple of years ago but I was content with wearing my sew-ins and I never really used this knowledge from the books or websites until I had to cut my hair due to over processing. At that time I got serious about a routine and havent had any setbacks since. So in all i acquired the knowledge over years but came up with a routine in less than a month.
Also I havent changed my regimen since starting

Last edited:

brittle_hair

Let's see it took me 8 months to realise that lye relaxers and texlaxing was not for me, it seemed to work in the beginning but towards the end it became a matted mess... Right now I'm really into the Morrocan oil and hair serum, my fantasia IC 100% tea shampoo seems to work well on my hair - protein is still a bit hit and miss, definitely don't get the aphogee hype, although i retry it every now again just in case my hair changes it's mind and loves it. I thought humectants were a great find until I realised they're a nigtmare in winter and also got fed up of looking slimely all the time. Definitely don't get the elasta qp mango butter hype, my hair is indifferent to sulfur, can also be quite drying... I think moisturising conditioners are the easiest staples to find.

So to answer your question I think it has taken me a year, but I still don't have the answer for stopping breakage in it's tracks (other than geeting a deep cut).

GraceV

About a year and half to get it down. My regimen is not set in stone though, you've got to be flexible. When I find something that needs tweaking, I modify it, give it a few weeks and see if it's improved. As your hair grows, different areas may take precedence over others, and you may need different products. When I started, I focused on length and thickness (so I did way more protein Tx, longer DCs etc). Now I'm working on improving my relaxer technique and my edges.

Just be patient and listen to your hair (not anyone else's). This site is a good place to get all the help you need. I learn something new everyday!

Good luck.

Vintageglam

1 year of experimenting on my hair and avoiding bandwagons. Also if you are new to the board - avoid challenges at first to work out what your hair relly likes before comitting to what could actually be hindering you.

maxandsally

It took me about a year. I still try a few products every now and then but definitely have my staples.

I spent around $500 finding it though...:sad: but in the end its worth it.

As far as styles, I just figured that out this year. I either bun or rollerset. That's enough for me without getting too complicated.

:yep::yep: Your hair is absolutely beautiful. What is the regimen that you settled with?

MochaMooch

Did they have the same hair type as you? That might have been the initial problem? .

No she didn't but I didn't know anything about different hair types then or if it even mattered.I just thought she had pretty hair and knew what she was talking about and so copied the products. Then I found lhcf and I know better now. :yep:

It's very comforting to hear that it's taking you all some time to develop a regimen. From reading around the forum I got the impression that some people developed a good regimen quite quickly so it's nice to know that's not the case.

MyTie

When I was still relaxed, I could never narrow down a regimen. I found this forum in 2006 and I was still struggling with it last year. My hair would always get tired of a certain product and I kept making the mistake of trying everything that someone here would post about. Last year I started transitioning and in July of this year I dc'd. Now I am fully natural and have finally come up with a regimen that works for me six months later. I've also learned that if I don't take care the inside of my body, my hair revolts immediately. So it didn't matter what I did to my hair or what products I used if I didn't hydrate my body or ate fast food 5 days a week, because my hair would always be dry and weak.

JennyKenny

It took me a little over a year to find a semi-solid regimen! I say semi because I am still working on a few products, however, technique and consistency I have down pat. My first year natural--I had braids and was trying to figure out a regimen. Problem was, my hair was braided so it was impossible to decide what my hair did and did not like since it was hidden away. Once I came out of my braids and experimented, I was able to find a regimen, which took a few months.

A good piece of advice I received was to get to know your hair without any product on so that you know how it feels once it has been wet and air-dryed. From that you have a baseline so you can figure out what products make your hair better.

Good luck to you!!!

Amoreofcurls

It took me about a year and some change...

One day I decided to analyze my hair by texture, porosity , strands size etc. I did some research on how to handle them individually.When I did that I learned why certain products didnt work for me, and when is the best time to handle my hair.......Then I learned about hair and PH balance, and that basically gave my basic hair needs...

Last edited:

tasha5951

I got really lucky in that I did pretty much the same thing you did; saw someone's hair that I liked and copied the products that she used. Thankfully my hair liked a lot of the products. I've branched out a little now and streamlining my regime but I feel pretty good about where it's at.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I've had the same regimen since I was in high school, but it took me until this year to realize that all the experimenting with other techniques was not working. I wash and DC once a week and moisturize and seal daily. The main thing that changes for me is when and how to use a product. What works in winter usually doesn't work and summer and what worked on my TWA might not work on my finally passing SL hair.

Vashti

It took me about two months to get a good regimen down that I was happy with and it took me eight months to find all of the products I was 100% happy with. The regimen part didn't take too long because I knew my hair needed lots of moisture so after reading a lot of threads here I knew that deep conditioning and baggying were going to be a part of my regimen. The products I had to tweak for a while.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I got a basic regimen down within a month of two. What has taken longer was to tweak the products that work best - that seems to be on going although I have narrowed it down to what is working best right now.

Also, I try to change things up to speak for the season.