Another breakage thread...but please help!

Zakina

Im a 3b/c natural with bra strap lenght hair, that for the last couple of months has been straightening her hair weekly (but touches up with flat iron every morning before going out :ohwell:).

I am now dealing with major breakage, little pieces of hair is flying off my head. Its rather tragic. I have thick hair but it is obviously thinning now.

I have used aphogee to try to help with the breakage, but its not helping. Im thinking that I might need some moisture then...Can you please recommend a deep conditioner that I can use to stop the breakage? Or any other emergencee treatment!

Also, despite whats happened I still prefer my hair straight, can anyone recommend a safer way for my hair to stay in a straight style?

Well...frankly...I don't have great news for you. A lot of people on this board know that I heat style weekly/bimonthly. Bottom line, it ain't good for your hair--no two ways about it. The fact that you're doing it to some degree everyday is, I fear, wearing away the cuticle layers and making it weak. The finished product may look great, but if you pull on the individual strands and they snap easily under little or no pressure that means your layers are sounding the death knell. Have you noticed your hair is thinner from towards the tips? If so, that could me the cuticle has worn away somewhat. And, once it's gone, it's gone. I prefer wearing me hair straight too, but I realize that frequent flat ironing (with or without a protectant) will eventually wear out your strands.

You have really long hair from what you've told us. How about sporting a curly style every other week to help with moisture and give your hair a break?

Are you relaxed? If so, I think a better option would be rollers sets and wrapping if you want a straighter, sleeker look.

Good luck!

I think you are using too much heat especially touching up every morning. You might need to flat iron once a week and maybe do rollersets every other week and put your hair up for a couple of days to protect your ends.

Are you relaxed? If so, I think a better option would be rollers sets and wrapping if you want a straighter, sleeker look.

Good luck!

I agree. Even if you're not relaxed roller sets and wrapping could work for you. You probably would have to use a flat iron once to straighten out the roots then wrapping @ night would help you keep it straight without touching it up everyday.

Also what do you do to straighten it? Blowdry, flatiron, both? Do you deep condition before you do it?

I suggest you stop with the heat today. Some of your hair is probably damaged beyond repair and that's why the protein isn't helping the breakage. I can't suggest a moisturizing or protein DC but definitely search the dc'ing challenge thread, there are tons of suggestions in there. You should baby your hair until you get it back healthy. IMO, it'd be better to just protective style and be very gentle until your hair improves.

Hair Breakage 101...this thread may help you pinpoint some of the other issues that are causing your breakage (aside from heat abuse).

As far as finding a way to wear straight styles, you have a few options:
1. Rollerset and wrap or pin curl. This thread is a great example of a natural (who may have similar hair to you) using a rollerset to get straight hair.
2. Learn how to use heat safely and effectively by improving your straightening techniques and regimen.
3. BKT so that your hair is easier to straighten and less likely to revert.
4. Relax your hair so that you can get super straight styles without using heat.

No matter what you decide, do your research first. And don't use any chemicals until your hair is healthier.

Also, what is your regimen and what products do you currently use?

Last edited:
Thank you ladies!

I wont be using heat in a while

Im now researching BKT , which hopefully will keep my hair in better condition than the insane amount of heat I was applying before. But we will see....

But I still need to keep this crazy breakage at bay...open for further suggestions.

You have really long hair from what you've told us. How about sporting a curly style every other week to help with moisture and give your hair a break?

Good luck!

Im a natural christelyn. Im so use to straight hair...it will be a big adjustment. But one that has to be made i guess.

I agree. Even if you're not relaxed roller sets and wrapping could work for you. You probably would have to use a flat iron once to straighten out the roots then wrapping @ night would help you keep it straight without touching it up everyday.

Also what do you do to straighten it? Blowdry, flatiron, both? Do you deep condition before you do it?

I blowdry first then flatiron at 230 degrees...I should have seen it coming...but it lookes sooo good :ohwell:
Yes..Im a fool.
And no I havent deep conditioned with moisture in a while

I suggest you stop with the heat today. Some of your hair is probably damaged beyond repair and that's why the protein isn't helping the breakage. I can't suggest a moisturizing or protein DC but definitely search the dc'ing challenge thread, there are tons of suggestions in there. You should baby your hair until you get it back healthy. IMO, it'd be better to just protective style and be very gentle until your hair improves.

Hair Breakage 101...this thread may help you pinpoint some of the other issues that are causing your breakage (aside from heat abuse).

As far as finding a way to wear straight styles, you have a few options:
1. Rollerset and wrap or pin curl. This thread is a great example of a natural (who may have similar hair to you) using a rollerset to get straight hair.
2. Learn how to use heat safely and effectively by improving your straightening techniques and regimen.
3. BKT so that your hair is easier to straighten and less likely to revert.
4. Relax your hair so that you can get super straight styles without using heat.

No matter what you decide, do your research first. And don't use any chemicals until your hair is healthier.

Also, what is your regimen and what products do you currently use?

thanks msa, great post :yep:. I will be researching all the alternatives.

bump!

Is there something more hard core i can use? or is aphogee as hard core as it gets when it comes to protein?

What is the best moisture deep conditioner I can use with the breakage I have?

bump!

Is there something more hard core i can use? or is aphogee as hard core as it gets when it comes to protein?

What is the best moisture deep conditioner I can use with the breakage I have?

What has been your regimen and products for the last month or two? You probably already have something you can use. Did you use the aphogee 2 step? If so, you shouldn't do another hardcore protein treatment for a while, just light-med.

As far as the breakage, the damaged hair is irreparable so you'll have to trim it sooner or later. But is all your hair heat damaged or are there other things that may be causing breakage like lack of moisture or porosity issues?

I think people need more information to give your good recommendations.

hmm really all I do is condition my hair with tresseme thermal repair con and shampoo with thermal repair poo. I like both products. This is all I use (suprisingly since im on a hairboard), and I wash weekly and then use my flatiron and blowdrier.

hmm really all I do is condition my hair with tresseme thermal repair con and shampoo with thermal repair poo. I like both products. This is all I use (suprisingly since im on a hairboard), and I wash weekly and then use my flatiron and blowdrier.

So you shampoo, quick condition, blow dry and flat iron once a week? I can see why you're having problems.

I don't know the ingredients in your shampoo but if it has sulfates it's probably causing some dryness which is further exacerbated by the lack of serious conditioning, no moisturizing, and using heat often with no protection.

Does that conditioner have a lot of silicones which could be causing build up and drying out your hair?

My suggestion is that you start from scratch.
1. Clarify your hair to get rid of any build up that is left over from your protein treatments, shampoo, and conditioner. You can get the cheap suave clarifier. It's pretty harsh though so I'd dilute it with water before using it.

2. After clarifying you need to DC. Here's where you'll have to do some detective work. You know your hair best so you need to make sure you get a DC with ingredients that will work best for your hair. It should be moisturizing and have some sort of protein (to provide structure). It also needs to be a real DC, so something that says leave it on for more than a few minutes or is a mask. In the past I've used NTM mask (it comes in a jar) and I loved it. It's also pretty easy to find. People also seem to really like the Yes to Carrots mud mask.

You may also want to get a protein conditioner to have on hand in case you decide to do protein in conjunction with your moisture DC. ORS packs have protein in them and are considered a light-medium protein, depending on who you ask. Or you could get the aphogee 2min, just make sure you follow it with a moisturizing conditioner.

You said you already did an aphogee...was it the 2-step or the 2min? If you already did the 2-step you definitely shouldn't do another hardcore one soon after...at least until you've properly assessed your hair. Using the ORS packs or aphogee 2min may help you maintain your protein level if you've already done the hardcore. You should read up on protein-moisture balance before you do any more protein though.

3. Moisturize. If you don't have anything already then you'll want to get something. Make sure it's something that is moisturizing, has some protein, and isn't filled with cones or mineral oil/petroleum (which can lead to more dryness/breakage).

Optional step: sealing with oil. You can seal with an oil after you moisturize, which many people find helpful. If you do it, I suggest using a natural oil like coconut or olive which also provide conditioning benefits to the hair.

4. Protective style. Since you have pretty long hair I suggest you bun it for a while. Just make sure you are moisturizing your hair daily and paying attention to how it feels. Make sure you are gentle with your hair and not over manipulating it now while it is weak.

Read this thread before you go out and buy anything though. It will help you pinpoint your issues and make good decisions about which products to buy. Also, definitely read the hair breakage 101 thread I posted earlier. It seems like you need to get some basic hair education going on so that you can build a good regimen.

Back