Relaxed Hair - Severe Breakage & splits - HELP!!

wyldcurlz

My mom is a relaxer girl and is very low maintenance (or maybe high maintenance.) We need to do something about her hair because its breaking like crazy. Today I noticed all these little pieces all over her back - and that's a daily occurence. What can I tell her to stop the breakage?? I told her she needs to apply some sort of moisture twice daily - maybe jojoba oil. She's "old school" and is not into going heat free, doesn't use tons of products and I'd probably have to trick her into CW. She uses a curling iron about 2x a week and washes and deep conditions with Elucence. She stretches her relaxers only getting them once every 4-6 months. Her breakage concerns me. I have no idea how to advise since I don't relax. All help is appreciated! What can she do to stop the breakage? Her hair is neck length, her hair natural hair type is...2c/3A/3b.

She's had a relaxer for almost 30 years - though she probably doesn't really need to relax, she just doesn't want to deal with the "extra work." When she was younger (20s-30s) her hair was shoulder length and bouncy and healthy. Its still somewhat healthy, she's just very, very prone to split ends and breakage!

Please help!! What can she do?

Last edited:
Im thinkign the heat and the excess products... See if she can cut down on the products. I know how I am about heat so I know she may not want to cut that but her products may be stripping her hair. Has she added anythign new or switched relaxers or anything? WHats different in her program that wasnt there before?

I get breakage sometimes when it is time for me to trim/dust.

I also get breakage when I need a relaxer, but that's just me. I know some people can stretch for long periods w/o problems, but I just can't w/o seeing too much breakage or causing it while I try to detangle after washing my hair.

I can also get breakage if I have too much product in my hair, like beyondcute mentioned. The less product the better fro me.

I use heat and I don't have a problem with it - now. In the past I never use protective products or Ionic styling tools. These items have helped make it easier for me to apply heat and avoid most damage.

Last edited:
What if you had her "put away" her hair for a few months. My mom got a short cut she didnt like and discovered this new weave that is ready to wear. i don't know the exact name but all you do is conrow your hair and attach the weave (already cut into a style) takes 5 min to attach it with thread to the conrow base. If you are interested try going on beverly johnson's website she carries them. Giving my hair a break always seems to help with breakage problems

beyondcute said:
Im thinkign the heat and the excess products... See if she can cut down on the products. I know how I am about heat so I know she may not want to cut that but her products may be stripping her hair. Has she added anythign new or switched relaxers or anything? WHats different in her program that wasnt there before?

My mistake....she DOES NOT use lots of products. She only washed and deep conditions weekly. I've got to get her to ease up on the heat, but I don't know how. It took a few months before I convinced her to aid dry. It seems she's doing those things right. Air drying, washing weekly & deep conditioning. I'll have to find out how often she uses the curling iron. She's had a breakage problem for years!!! Her hair has been the same length for years. So that's what I'm trying to figure out. What she needs to do to stop the breakage & splits ends.

If she laid off the heat I'm sure she'd see improvement with the breakage. Would she be willing to try banding for straighter smoother styles instead of so much heat?

I stopped my breakage by using ORS Hair mayo every other week and using ORS carrot oil on the ends during the week. Try roller wrapping to give her straight hair or rolller set and pincurl or use Hype hair rollers to keep it curly:)

Yeah she may need a lil bit of protien. Also a trim may be in order (and this is coming from and anit trim person) Also the curling iron is the devil. :lol: She may have to slack off on that. That thing targets the ends. Made mines nice and burnt and broken when I was using it.

HoneyDew said:
I get breakage sometimes when it is time for me to trim/dust.

I also get breakage when I need a relaxer, but that's just me. I know some people can stretch for long periods w/o problems, but I just can't w/o seeing too much breakage or causing it while I try to detangle after washing my hair.

I can also get breakage if I have too much product in my hair, like beyondcute mentioned. The less product the better fro me.

I use heat and I don't have a problem with it - now. In the past I never use protective products or Ionic styling tools. These items have helped make it easier for me to apply heat and avoid most damage.

I think we are hair twins. My hair breaks like crazy when it's time for a relaxer. I thought I was the only one who couldn't stretch.

macherieamour said:
I stopped my breakage by using ORS Hair mayo every other week and using ORS carrot oil on the ends during the week. Try roller wrapping to give her straight hair or rolller set and pincurl or use Hype hair rollers to keep it curly:)

Hey, was this the product (ors mayo) that you wasn't keen on b4? I cant remember, but i recall u saying that a product diodn't work for you but u were goin to try and make it work.

Have you tried a protein treatment? You could start with something light like plain old (Hellman's or Best Foods) mayonnaise for 30 minutes followed by a nice moisturizer or a garlic shampoo. Or hardcore Apoghee.

Candy_C said:
Hey, was this the product (ors mayo) that you wasn't keen on b4? I cant remember, but i recall u saying that a product diodn't work for you but u were goin to try and make it work.

Hi! It was the replenishing pak that didnt really work for me:ohwell:

Im gonna clarify and try it again and see if it it reacts differently.

The mayo is really good tho. Its a bit heavy but my hair does feel stronger. My hair became really strong when i started using this and keracare.

Back