another questions for those who transitioned or are transitioning

krissynick

if i decide to transistion.. do you think i would be able to transition with just braid outs and twist outs.. or maybe curly styles like straw curls ... also has any just transitioned by basically wash and setting their hair and continously flat iron the roots ..its seems like the only thing i could do with my hair transitioning is wear a pony tail cause i dont like braids or any other type of weaves in my hair...

cclark1

If you're transitioning and not all natural then your braid outs/twist outs probably won't last but for a day. But you can do straw sets/regular sets. You don't want to flat iron the roots a lot because the line of demarcation (where the relaxer meets the new growth) is very delicate and can break off if it's not moisturized. I'm transitioning now and I'm not into the weaves or braids. But I do go to the salon once every few weeks for flat ironing (Salon Balisi in ATL) and wash and gos the rest of the time. HTH!

if i decide to transistion.. do you think i would be able to transition with just braid outs and twist outs.. or maybe curly styles like straw curls ... also has any just transitioned by basically wash and setting their hair and continously flat iron the roots ..its seems like the only thing i could do with my hair transitioning is wear a pony tail cause i dont like braids or any other type of weaves in my hair...

krissynick

If you're transitioning and not all natural then your braid outs/twist outs probably won't last but for a day. But you can do straw sets/regular sets. You don't want to flat iron the roots a lot because the line of demarcation (where the relaxer meets the new growth) is very delicate and can break off if it's not moisturized. I'm transitioning now and I'm not into the weaves or braids. But I do go to the salon once every few weeks for flat ironing (Salon Balisi in ATL) and wash and gos the rest of the time. HTH!

u do wash and gos... im dunno if that will work for me... u just wash it and let it dry and leave it..???????? or do you do a ponytail.. also wats ur hair type

PhoenixRose360

I'm transitioning myself, about 14 months now. In the summer I do wash and go's, since I'm in NY, it's kinda hard to do that now. But I've found ways around it, I do the wash and go's the nite before, so my hair has time to dry. Or you could do a french braid on wet hair, let it dry and when it fully dries take the braid out. What about a bun? I definitely wouldn't flat iron my hair regularly because you would be just damaging your hair with the heat. I would do the flat iron once in a while. Also make sure that you do deep condition your hair frequently.

krissynick

I'm transitioning myself, about 14 months now. In the summer I do wash and go's, since I'm in NY, it's kinda hard to do that now. But I've found ways around it, I do the wash and go's the nite before, so my hair has time to dry. Or you could do a french braid on wet hair, let it dry and when it fully dries take the braid out. What about a bun? I definitely wouldn't flat iron my hair regularly because you would be just damaging your hair with the heat. I would do the flat iron once in a while. Also make sure that you do deep condition your hair frequently.

i dont understand the wash and gos.. can u do that with a 4a/b hair type? u

LynnieB

i dont understand the wash and gos.. can u do that with a 4a/b hair type? u

krissynick, you don't have to have good hurrr in order to do wash n gos!

Every and any one can do them any time they wish!

Some like to dress them up with headbands, scarves or other hair accessories.

hth

krissynick

krissynick, you don't have to have good hurrr in order to do wash n gos!

Every and any one can do them any time they wish!

Some like to dress them up with headbands, scarves or other hair accessories.

hth

umm my hair is good.... and im asking cause it does not look cute to walk around with natural hair on teh top and straight stringy endsss

AsTheCurlzTurns

umm my hair is good.... and im asking cause it does not look cute to walk around with natural hair on teh top and straight stringy endsss

From what I've read on the boards, you can also roll the ends up while it's drying. Then you can just fingercomb it so it blends in with the natural hair.

PhoenixRose360

Why not do braid outs? Why not experiment with a wash and go on a weekend, to see how your hair comes out? When I do a wash and go, I usually just condition my hair, rinse it out and then put some leave in conditioner and scrunch some gel in and let it airdry.

Last edited:

krissynick

Why not do braid outs? Why not experiment with a wash and go on a weekend, to see how your hair comes out?

hey girl.. i posted earlier that i really didnt understand the wash and goes.. casue my hair its pretty darn straight so i dont think it would work but maybe im wrong.. are ur wash and goes curly or do u call ur wash and gos like bunning? im just a bit confused..

VelvetRain

paying attention to this thread for reference. I really want to let this relaxer go but not sure how I am gonna deal with two different textures.

Chromia

Yes...you should PM caligirl, that's how she transitioned.

I've been doing twistouts and they've been working ok for me so far......

PhoenixRose360

here's some info from naturallycurly.com

Q: I’m transitioning, and I’m finding it hard to keep both textures happy at the moment. I understand why some of us get frustrated and do the “Big Chop” only a few months in, but I’m not ready for that yet. My new growth is really moisture thirsty, but the relaxed ends aren’t. Ideally, I’d like to wash/wet my hair everyday, but when I comb my hair while it’s wet, I’m getting too much breakage from the relaxed part. How can I minimize this damage? I’d like to hang onto the relaxed part until I’m ready to part with it. I can see it’s thinning already. My hair is thick and coarse. I also have to use a hairdryer with a diffuser because my hair just won’t air dry at all.
Diane: While you want to hold on to your relaxed hair, it is really not benefiting your style or length if it is breaking. Transitioning can be tricky! However, you should not try to wear the wash and wear look quite yet, unless you are prepared to part with the relaxed hair. Wetting the hair every day with water can dry out the hair more than anything else. Try misting the hair with a leave-in conditioner like, Jane Carter Solutions Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner Two textures have to be treated differently at the same time. The natural texture must have conditioning treatments designed for natural hair. That means using botanical hydrating and moisturizing conditioners. Then use protein moisturizing conditioners for the relaxed hair that is breaking and shedding. This can be a quite a bit of work. You might find it much easier to finally let go. However, if you’re really not ready, you should create curly sets with rods, flat-twists or two-strand twists.Then create the twist out. These styles don’t require wetting the hair everyday, and last at least 7-10 days. There are also curly hair extensions that can help you transition easily as you wear a fabulous curly style and grow out your healthy hair.

More info from naturallycurly.com

Q: What hair options are available to 4B’s? I have a friend who wants some suggestions. I told her 2-strand twists, coil outs, and wash ‘n go are good options. Anything else?

Titi: The main styling options are 2-strand twists, coilouts, wash ‘n go and shingling. However, to add more variety, alter the way you execute each styling method. For a 2-strand twist, changing the size of the twist will give you a dramatically different look. Larger twists result in a fatter curl. Smaller twists result in a tighter curl. Or try a 2-strand twist cornrow and untwist. That will give you a totally different look.
For coilouts, try unraveling the coil in more sections to create more volume. This will change the look of a coilout.
How you apply product for a wash ‘n go changes things too. Applying more product with a more deliberate hand will result in a controlled curl. Raking product through more randomly will create a more whimsical look.

Here's some more info from MotownGirl on wash and go's

MotownGirl.com - Wash and Go