Another Spinoff: Christianity and Movie Themes

PaperClip

So the "First Sunday" thread has again prompted me to think about the following:

1. other movies with (questionable) uses of Christian-based themes

2. use of movies to minister/convey a message

The following two websites address both points above:

http://www.textweek.com/movies/themeindex.htm has an index of themes and identifies movies/movie scenes.

http://www.wingclips.com/ is a growing database of movie clips categorized by theme to convey a point about...say, for example, adultery.

In looking at the textweek.com website, I clicked on "Crucifixion" and here's are some of the entries (user-submitted):

Movies/Scenes Representing Crucifixion
John Q (2002)
This movie depicts the plight of a father (Denzel Washington) willing to lay down his life for his son and therefore should be cross-referenced under Abraham and Issac and Cross and Resurrection in the sense of the suffering of God through the evil of Jesus death. As a social commentary, it pricks our conscience about a society with medical services for those who can afford them and death for those who cannot. As redemptive drama, it also shows the metanoia or reversal of thinking in several characters who broker the power of the HMO medical system but in the end ultimately side with the powerlessness of John Q. and his son. (Dr. Barry A. Woodbridge, Orangethorpe Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Fullerton, CA)

A Knight's Tale (2001)
William Thatcher is imprisoned for impersonating a knight. His enemy, Count Adhema, comes into his cells, taunts him, strikes him repeatedly. William offers no response. The scene ends with William kneeling on the floor, head bowed, with his arms outstretched, tied to a crosspiece. The shadows of the bars in the window high above create the illusion of stripes across his back. As purely visual imagery, this is the best crucifixion clip I've ever seen. (FUMC, Natchitoches, LA)

Pearl Harbor (2001)
Danny and Rafe crash in China and are captured by Chinese soldiers. Daany, who is dying from wounds received in the crash, is tied up to a water buffalo's yoke - and thus assumes a crucifixion posture. His death a few minutes later comes after he gives Rafe the responsibility of being father to his unborn child - like John & Mary? (Margie Beck)

Gladiator (2000)
When Commodus is taunting Maximus, while Maximus is tied up in a crucifixtion -like pose. Then Commodus stabbs Maximus in the side, very symbolic of Matthews passion narrative. (Steve Ash, Memphis TN)

The Green Mile (1999)
John Coffey's death - an innocent healer who prays for and forgives those who execute him

Wild Wild West (1999)
Jim West's "death" in a crucifixion position. (see review at Hollywood Jesus)

The Truman Show (1998)
Truman on boat, knocked out in shape of cross (See review at Hollywood Jesus.)

Dead Man Walking (1995)
Poncelet is in shape of a cross when he dies, representing his ultimate redemption, and his attempt at a redemptive death.

Platoon (1986)
Elias was a Christ figure in the film. It seems to me that the scene even had him fall in the pieta stance (minus Mary). (Valerie Humphreys, Independence MO)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
So the "First Sunday" thread has again prompted me to think about the following:

1. other movies with (questionable) uses of Christian-based themes

2. use of movies to minister/convey a message

The following two websites address both points above:

http://www.textweek.com/movies/themeindex.htm has an index of themes and identifies movies/movie scenes.

http://www.wingclips.com/ is a growing database of movie clips categorized by theme to convey a point about...say, for example, adultery.

In looking at the textweek.com website, I clicked on "Crucifixion" and here's are some of the entries (user-submitted):

Movies/Scenes Representing Crucifixion

John Q (2002) [B]http://www.textweek.com/movies/_themes/blueprinttw/blubul2d.gif[/B]This movie depicts the plight of a father (Denzel Washington) willing to lay down his life for his son and therefore should be cross-referenced under Abraham and Issac and Cross and Resurrection in the sense of the suffering of God through the evil of Jesus death.

As a social commentary, it pricks our conscience about a society with medical services for those who can afford them and death for those who cannot. As redemptive drama, it also shows the metanoia or reversal of thinking in several characters who broker the power of the HMO medical system but in the end ultimately side with the powerlessness of John Q. and his son. (Dr. Barry A. Woodbridge, Orangethorpe Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Fullerton, CA)

A Knight's Tale (2001)
William Thatcher is imprisoned for impersonating a knight. His enemy, Count Adhema, comes into his cells, taunts him, strikes him repeatedly. William offers no response. The scene ends with William kneeling on the floor, head bowed, with his arms outstretched, tied to a crosspiece. The shadows of the bars in the window high above create the illusion of stripes across his back. As purely visual imagery, this is the best crucifixion clip I've ever seen. (FUMC, Natchitoches, LA)

Pearl Harbor (2001)
Danny and Rafe crash in China and are captured by Chinese soldiers. Daany, who is dying from wounds received in the crash, is tied up to a water buffalo's yoke - and thus assumes a crucifixion posture. His death a few minutes later comes after he gives Rafe the responsibility of being father to his unborn child - like John & Mary? (Margie Beck)

Gladiator (2000)
When Commodus is taunting Maximus, while Maximus is tied up in a crucifixtion -like pose. Then Commodus stabbs Maximus in the side, very symbolic of Matthews passion narrative. (Steve Ash, Memphis TN)

The Green Mile (1999)
John Coffey's death - an innocent healer who prays for and forgives those who execute him

Wild Wild West (1999)
Jim West's "death" in a crucifixion position. (see review at Hollywood Jesus)

The Truman Show (1998)
Truman on boat, knocked out in shape of cross (See review at Hollywood Jesus.)

Dead Man Walking (1995)
Poncelet is in shape of a cross when he dies, representing his ultimate redemption, and his attempt at a redemptive death.

Platoon (1986)
Elias was a Christ figure in the film. It seems to me that the scene even had him fall in the pieta stance (minus Mary). (Valerie Humphreys, Independence MO)
This is an excellent thread, RR. I'll tell you why. We as a 'Body' need to understand WHY we watch what we watch and be able to discern and comprehend the message coming forth from the stories.

The movie John Q, was tender and moving and 'just'. "JUST" because it didn't allow the character's choice of action to be vindicated. Although it was heart wrenching to see what he endured and the burden of getting aid for his son, we could not justify holding people hostage and at gun point.

Why? Cause Denzel did it and of course it breeds copy cats in real life. I love the movie John Q. The relationship with his son was worth a standing ovation. A Black man invested in his son's life. Married and not running around via 'black stereotype'. When he (the character John Q, laid down with the gun and then when he rolled up that wihte towel to place on his head ....... enough said. I get choked up just seeing how much this man loved his son.

The Green Mile...when this man went to the guard's house to heal the wife who had 'cancer', I thought he was going to die from ingesting her disease. This movie is powerful. And the way he died, the cruelty of the guard who wanted him to suffer.........(no words) :nono:

What about these movies?

The Hurricane with Denzel Washington. The loving relationship between him and the young man, Lazarus. The scene in the 'holding' jail, when the character (The Hurricane) says, he was once dead, but came back to life. I don't want to give away the story for those who haven't seen it. But you can see this man was ressurrected.

ET (Extraterrestial) was an imitation that tried to exalt ET with Godly powers. He healed; he came from above and he ascended with the promise of returning.

As I said above this is an excellent thread, RR. I hope others share what they too have perceived from movies as well.

PaperClip

This is an excellent thread, RR. I'll tell you why. We as a 'Body' need to understand WHY we watch what we watch and be able to discern and comprehend the message coming forth from the stories.

The movie John Q, was tender and moving and 'just'. "JUST" because it didn't allow the character's choice of action to be vindicated. Although it was heart wrenching to see what he endured and the burden of getting aid for his son, we could not justify holding people hostage and at gun point.

Why? Cause Denzel did it and of course it breeds copy cats in real life. I love the movie John Q. The relationship with his son was worth a standing ovation. A Black man invested in his son's life. Married and not running around via 'black stereotype'. When he (the character John Q, laid down with the gun and then when he rolled up that wihte towel to place on his head ....... enough said. I get choked up just seeing how much this man loved his son.

The Green Mile...when this man went to the guard's house to heal the wife who had 'cancer', I thought he was going to die from ingesting her disease. This movie is powerful. And the way he died, the cruelty of the guard who wanted him to suffer.........(no words) :nono:

What about these movies?

The Hurricane with Denzel Washington. The loving relationship between him and the young man, Lazarus. The scene in the 'holding' jail, when the character (The Hurricane) says, he was once dead, but came back to life. I don't want to give away the story for those who haven't seen it. But you can see this man was ressurrected.

ET (Extraterrestial) was an imitation that tried to exalt ET with Godly powers. He healed; he came from above and he ascended with the promise of returning.

As I said above this is an excellent thread, RR. I hope others share what they too have perceived from movies as well.

Awww, Shimmie! That's just like you to spin this thread around for good! (not that I meant it for bad)....

I was attempting to make the point that for all of the criticism over a 10-second communion scene in First Sunday, here are PLENTY of other movies that have taken other sacred rituals and significant aspects of Christianity and "used" them for other, less sacred purposes....

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Awww, Shimmie! That's just like you to spin this thread around for good! (not that I meant it for bad)....

I was attempting to make the point that for all of the criticism over a 10-second communion scene in First Sunday, here are PLENTY of other movies that have taken other sacred rituals and significant aspects of Christianity and "used" them for other, less sacred purposes....
Ooops! :blush: My bad :giggle: I did not comprehend...:lachen:
You now I'm mushie...and sentimental. :lol: :lachen:

Does my comment on the movie ET count? I called it an imitation. And I rated this thread 5 stars....worth every star and more. :yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

Southernbella.

You know what movie really, REALLY got under my skin the first time I saw it? The Best Man.

Ok, Morris Chestnut's character was supposed to be a born-again Christian. He was settling down to marry his college sweetheart. He got saved at some point in college, because there was one scene of him with his Bible, repenting after having been caught cheating on his sweetheart.

He also has a very wild bachelor party, where he gets drunk and receives lap-dances.

The next day, after having found out his best friend slept with his fiancee in college and beating up said friend, he tells friend that he forgives him and they get on their knees to pray.

My problem was...why couldn't they have left God and Jesus out of it? A male friend of mine at the time told me I was overreacting, and that most Christian men fornicate, drink, and curse.:perplexed But I mean...Morris' character was supposed to be super-spiritual, invoking Jesus' name a lot, and having his Bible in a few scenes. It annoyed me not only was he completely double-minded, but that the writer/director was not making any value judgement on it. It was considered normal and acceptable. Nobody in the movie asked Morris' character how he could quote scriptures in one minute, then say "F this" and "F that" in another, as well as have constant sex.

Morris' character also had a talk with his friend about getting as much sex as he could. He said that just because he was settling down and being faithful didn't mean his boys had to.:ohwell:

That's my best example. I really liked the rest of the movie, but those parts bothered me.

PaperClip

You know what movie really, REALLY got under my skin the first time I saw it? The Best Man.

Ok, Morris Chestnut's character was supposed to be a born-again Christian. He was settling down to marry his college sweetheart. He got saved at some point in college, because there was one scene of him with his Bible, repenting after having been caught cheating on his sweetheart.

He also has a very wild bachelor party, where he gets drunk and receives lap-dances.

The next day, after having found out his best friend slept with his fiancee in college and beating up said friend, he tells friend that he forgives him and they get on their knees to pray.

My problem was...why couldn't they have left God and Jesus out of it? A male friend of mine at the time told me I was overreacting, and that most Christian men fornicate, drink, and curse.:perplexed But I mean...Morris' character was supposed to be super-spiritual, invoking Jesus' name a lot, and having his Bible in a few scenes. It annoyed me not only was he completely double-minded, but that the writer/director was not making any value judgement on it. It was considered normal and acceptable. Nobody in the movie asked Morris' character how he could quote scriptures in one minute, then say "F this" and "F that" in another, as well as have constant sex.

Morris' character also had a talk with his friend about getting as much sex as he could. He said that just because he was settling down and being faithful didn't mean his boys had to.:ohwell:

That's my best example. I really liked the rest of the movie, but those parts bothered me.

You know what, Lauren, I really like The Best Man, I really do. And I'll tell you that dude's flip-flopping was so annoying to me....but you know what else, I think that I wasn't annoyed enough....I think that I have become desensitized to seeing movie characters in movies who profess being a Christian but then do whatever.... I think I'm not alone in being desensitized in this way....

envybeauty

I remember that movie. I guess I had no problem with the references to Christianity because really so many Christians struggle with their faith. They struggle with removing themselves from what is of this world. They drink, curse, have sex, etc. because they have not fully embraced Christ to resist all temptations. They struggle with keeping on the right path. Slowly they change their ways and yes, to some slowly means years while to others it is mere weeks or days. In today's walk to the Church (because not everyone grew up in the Church), a lot of Christians are trying to resist temptations that exist.

I guess my ultimate point is that Christians are not all perfect and should not all be portrayed that way. Not every Christian abstained from sex before marriage whether once or one hundred times, not every Christian declined alcohol, not every Christian refrained from cursing. Those things are not Christ-like, but every man is different in his level of aspiration to mirror Christ. Yet, I believe that every Christian is trying to better himself and get to the point where s/he can say that they don't those things ever. Some get there at age 25, others 35, others at 65. But, we don't all get there at once.

Even people on this board profess their faith all day, everyday but they fornicated before marriage, they drank until they were tipsy, they conceived and/or had kids out of wedlock....yes they did these things but they will readily tell you about their walk towards being more Christ-like. Christ was working on their hearts when they were doing all those things then and although today they have stopped fornicating, drinking, etc., they are still far from being the perfect Christian.

ETA: the writer of that screenplay could make a followup movie where that character is more Christ-like today than he was before he got married to show his journey in faith.

Last edited:

Southernbella.

You know what, Lauren, I really like The Best Man, I really do. And I'll tell you that dude's flip-flopping was so annoying to me....but you know what else, I think that I wasn't annoyed enough....I think that I have become desensitized to seeing movie characters in movies who profess being a Christian but then do whatever.... I think I'm not alone in being desensitized in this way....

Oh yeah, I'm that way now. But I had just gotten serious about my walk when that movie came out, and I was infuriated.:lachen:

I remember that movie. I guess I had no problem with the references to Christianity because really so many Christians struggle with their faith. They struggle with removing themselves from what is of this world. They drink, curse, have sex, etc. because they have not fully embraced Christ to resist all temptations. They struggle with keeping on the right path. Slowly they change their ways and yes, to some slowly means years while to others it is mere weeks or days. In today's walk to the Church (because not everyone grew up in the Church), a lot of Christians are trying to resist temptations that exist.

I guess my ultimate point is that Christians are not all perfect and should not all be portrayed that way. Not every Christian abstained from sex before marriage whether once or one hundred times, not every Christian declined alcohol, not every Christian refrained from cursing. Those things are not Christ-like, but every man is different in his level of aspiration to mirror Christ. Yet, I believe that every Christian is trying to better himself and get to the point where s/he can say that they don't those things ever. Some get there at age 25, others 35, others at 65. But, we don't all get there at once.

Even people on this board profess their faith all day, everyday but they fornicated before marriage, they drank until they were tipsy, they conceived and/or had kids out of wedlock....yes they did these things but they will readily tell you about their walk towards being more Christ-like. Christ was working on their hearts when they were doing all those things then and although today they have stopped fornicating, drinking, etc., they are still far from being the perfect Christian.

ETA: the writer of that screenplay could make a followup movie where that character is more Christ-like today than he was before he got married to show his journey in faith.

I hear you, and I agree with your points. I defintely had/have my own struggles and would never try to pretend otherwise.

I just think it would have been a little easier to swallow if he had gotten called on his behavior at least once in the movie. It really, truly felt as though his behavior was presented as acceptable. He never really appeared to struggle with sin, either. He just did it, it was fun, and he'd do it again if he didn't have to worry about hurting his fiance.

He also seemed to place himself above his agnostic best friend. He would preach and talk about himself as though he was so righteous because he was a Christian, when in actuality, he was doing the same dirt as his friends.

I'm not saying he was a bad person...I'm just saying I didn't like the way the movie presented his behavior as typical, even acceptable.