Any comments on foam hair (rat) thingy??

blackbarbie

I was in the BSS store today and I was the little sponge thing you form a bun with (the round one, not the straight one). I know that sponge rollers can zap the moisture right out of your hair but what if I saturate the sponge thingy with EVOO? I plan on using it after co-washes. Any thoughts?

The only reason I am considering using it is that even though my hair is past shoulder length, I still have a few layers trying to grow out and whenever I try to do a bun on my own, the ends stick out everywhere. I figure with a little help (the rat) my bun will be a little prettier, but I just remember sponge rollers being so bad for you and wonder if this alternative (soaking the sponge in EVOO) would help.

Mestiza

One time when I was in Sally's, a lady was going to buy one of those, but, the Cashier told her not to b/c it causes breakage.

krissyprissy

Get some black satin, needle and thread. Next stitch the satin completly around the dounut. This will keep your hair from drying out. Works like a charm.

blackbarbie

Mestiza said:
One time when I was in Sally's, a lady was going to buy one of those, but, the Cashier told her not to b/c it causes breakage.

That's what I was worried about....I was going to soak it in EVOO before I put in on though...I was still having flashbacks from being told that sponge rollers were not good for you and would dry your hair out, so that's what I thought about when i bought it.

blackbarbie

krissyprissy said:
Get some black satin, needle and thread. Next stitch the satin completly around the dounut. This will keep your hair from drying out. Works like a charm.

I guess I will be cutting up one of my satin do rag scarves up tonight!!:) That is a great idea! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Mestiza

Originally Posted by krissyprissy

blackbarbie said:
I guess I will be cutting up one of my satin do rag scarves up tonight!!:) That is a great idea! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Yes, that sure is a great idea! :yep:

Victorian

old head
You know how you make a bun filler out of socks by cutting the toes and rolling the tube into a bun? Well I did the same thing with the leg of an old pair of hose rolled onto the foam bun. It does a nice job of creating a smooth, snag-free surface :)

L

lkg4healthyhair

krissyprissy said:

This is exactly what I did with mine. I just used one on my many satin bonnets.

Pumpkinslim

I'm trying to understand what this is. Is this for creating a bun and keeping in for a while. Are there any pictures? Please explain.

bellezanegra826

I have one from sally's and I wraped it with braiding hair. this way when your hair separates or gets rubbed only hair is exposed, not satin. I have found that I haven't had any breakage from the bun itself because anything I put on my hair, I can also put on the hair that is covering the bun.

BLESSED1

Pumpkinslim said:
I'm trying to understand what this is. Is this for creating a bun and keeping in for a while. Are there any pictures? Please explain.

I have a pic in my album (link in profile)