Any edge success stories?

QueenFee

Any edge success stories? Mini update!

Ladies ladies ladies! I am seeing some real progress with my edges!

Amoreofcurls suggested I DC soooooooo I put Olive oil root stimulator Treatment pack on my damaged areas before I shampoo to give it some extra moisture.

Ellepixie suggested JBCO which I have used in the past but not straight...So this time i used it straight and its working...

BlackDiamond1 suggested that I leave them alone so I stopped with the tight buns and pony tails which was putting stress on them.

I believe that my scalp itself was truly dry because it used to hurt real bad sometimes especially when I used to wear a wrap...Doing the little edge DC along with really taking the time to moisturize my scalp and edges and seal them well and leave them alone has made a big difference in such a little amount of time...I will upload pic's before I go out tonight.:grin:

here are pics of my hairline that I am trying to save...Believe me it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse, I can use any tips you ladies have on what else I can do to get the growth poppin.

Sorry They are so big...I am currently alternating between MTG and MT

Last edited:

Amoreofcurls

I have one!!!...

My nape and edges were HORRIBLY ripped out from tight braiding....

I did my research, and was able to build a regimen, that I challenged myself to be consistent with it...

I also built a separate regimen for my nape and edges with megatek....

and when I saw how healthy my hair got after a few months,I never put a weave to it and was more fearful of heat, than I ever was...

I recommend you start deep conditioning, and since summer time is near, start cowashing, you hair sounds like it really needs moisture...

Moisturize and seal EVERYDAY, or you can do the Chicoro technique, it works great to prolong moisture...

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/how-to-strategicall/006.html

Here is a wonderful thread, that can help you build a regimen

Here's a copy of the nape and edge regimen I built with the results after one month...

I moisturized the area 2x a day with scurl and sealed with olive or coco oil (morning and night)

I kept my nape area braided at all times, I wore styles that would cover the cornrow.

I stayed away from hairstyles that would put strain on my edges.

I highly recommend massaging with castor oil to thicken the area up.

And yes invest in a satin pillowcase.and if you have to use a scarf . start at the back then fold sides over to the front (do not tie knot directly on top of hair,you will be pulling hair out!!) wrap around and tie to the back, remember not so tight.
also stay away from bonnets that have rubber edges, invest in the ones with the flat satin edges, or you can lightly tie a satin head band around the perimeter of your head and wear a bonnet on top.

Heres a link to my fotki which show you my progress from megatek, and you can also check out the recent albums to see the areas now....

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/hair-challenges/megatek/

EllePixie

My hairline has never been exactly thin, but I started using JBCO 3x a week for scalp massages and was sure to massage my temples, and I started getting baby hairs that I definitely didn't have.

NaturalBoss

My edges were EXTREMELY thin from wearing tight braids back-to-back. I tried many different products (so many I can't even remember) that are supposed to help your edges and none of them did anything. I didn't try Megatek so I don't know if it works or not. My edges grew back when I simply left them alone. This is probably not a popular answer, but it's the only thing that worked for me.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I started wearing braidouts and twistouts rather than bunning for about 2 months. When I went back to bunning I only did it during the day. Once home I would take the bun down and just put my hair in like 4-6 plaits. Claudie's Rejuvenating Hairline and Temple Balm 1-2 times a day on my edges.

QueenFee

Thank you ladies so much for all your helpful responses! I've been thinking that maybe I need to do the bantu knot outs or something to keep me from wearing pony tails...I'm off to order some jamaican black castor oil...Any ideas about a good conditioner? I'm going to start co washing until it gets cold then I'll co wash every three days at night only...I'm still in the process of developing a reggie...You ladies are so helpful.=)

QueenFee

I have one!!!...

My nape and edges were HORRIBLY ripped out from tight braiding....

I did my research, and was able to build a regimen, that I challenged myself to be consistent with it...

I also built a separate regimen for my nape and edges with megatek....

and when I saw how healthy my hair got after a few months,I never put a weave to it and was more fearful of heat, than I ever was...

I recommend you start deep conditioning, and since summer time is near, start cowashing, you hair sounds like it really needs moisture...

Moisturize and seal EVERYDAY, or you can do the Chicoro technique, it works great to prolong moisture...

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/how-to-strategicall/006.html

Here is a wonderful thread, that can help you build a regimen

Here's a copy of the nape and edge regimen I built with the results after one month...

I moisturized the area 2x a day with scurl and sealed with olive or coco oil (morning and night)

I kept my nape area braided at all times, I wore styles that would cover the cornrow.

I stayed away from hairstyles that would put strain on my edges.

I highly recommend massaging with castor oil to thicken the area up.

And yes invest in a satin pillowcase.and if you have to use a scarf . start at the back then fold sides over to the front (do not tie knot directly on top of hair,you will be pulling hair out!!) wrap around and tie to the back, remember not so tight.
also stay away from bonnets that have rubber edges, invest in the ones with the flat satin edges, or you can lightly tie a satin head band around the perimeter of your head and wear a bonnet on top.

Heres a link to my fotki which show you my progress from megatek, and you can also check out the recent albums to see the areas now....

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/hair-challenges/megatek/

I saw your pictures! I love them! I'm happy they came in so thick! Must be like a dream right?

SelfStyled

I do, I do. Okay my edges were really tore up!I still have a ways to go, but they are have improved so much. I didn't do anything complicated, and I don't use topical growth aids. I do take vitamins, but the most important thing I did was moisturize my edges, and seal faithfully, at least once a day.

To moisturize I use Alba Kukui Nut body cream- it is packed with goodies, aloe, ceramides, etc.
Along the way I have sealed with many oils,I have found my JBCO/Emu oil mix to be the most helpful.

Here is the most recent pic of my hairline, ignore the half wig in the back, lol. I just wanted to add this picture, because for years I could not wear my hair going back, and now I can.

http://public.fotki.com/SelfStyled/2010/half-wigs/1st-day-of-school-1.html#media

Stay up on moisturizing and sealing and make sure and your edges will turn around as long as there are healthy follicles.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
the edges on the right side was thin from years of traditional wrapping my hair IMHO. i stopped wrapping altogether (no traditional or cross wrapping). i bun 95% of the time now to protect my ends, etc. i massage my edges several x's a week with either castor, jbco or jbco/evoo mixture -- just whatever i have available at the time -- and my edges are filling in pretty good. i think jbco absorbs in much better than castor although i've been told both have the same positive effects if used routinely. castor is much cheaper than jbco. i bought jbco just b/c i wanted to see what all the hype was about. i like it, will purchase again simply b/c it absorbs better and that's a plus for me since i'm heavy handed.

discodumpling

My edges (front & side) are extremely delicate to begin with so generally I don't put any tension there at all and I pay extra attention to the area when moisturizing. I have used an e/o blend with much success and most recently Deity hair grease to regrow my edeges after massive post partum shedding/thinning. The grease along with consistant scalp massages have helped my hairline grow back with a thickness it has never had before.

Tif392002

my edges were messed up bad, i used a small tooth brush to stimulate my temples along with castor oil , and they are beginning to get back to normal finally.

LuvlyRain3

When I was 12 my sister put some really tight extensions in my head. I took them out the next day and the whole front of left side was gone. edges and all. Three was no hair on my left side until you got to the typo of my ear. All I could do was cry. To grower my hair and edges back I actually used doo gro mega thick oil. I applied it every other day and massaged it in. I for my hair cut in a japanese bob so that the hair at the top of my head fell over the bald area. It took about 5months for the area to fully grow in. worse hair experience of my life. But the hair in that area grew back healthy and thick.

LadyPaniolo

I have a success story too. My nape was literally ripped completely OUT. By me :cry3: When I cornrowed my hair for my wigs, I would braid straight back and then flip the tails up. This stressed the nape so badly that it ripped all the hair out. Sigh. I started cornrowing either in the round the world pattern or putting one or two horizontal braids across the nape underneath the cornrows going straight back. That way the damage stopped. As the hair grew back in, I took care of it the same way I did the rest of my hair. Now the hair in my nape is APL... way shorter than the rest of my head, but still healthy and strong.

ETA: I also had my edges ripped out from too-tight braids and from a DIY weave :cry3: I stopped doing those styles and just let them grow back in. I think time heals all wounds when it comes to one's edges.

gadgetdiva

Ooooh I need help with getting my edges back they're already sensitive and thin and I dont know how or why because I don't ponytail too often and definitely not tightly, but i need methods to remedy it...there is a lot of good info here and if there are anymore suggestions I'd gladly welcome them.

QueenFee

Thank you so much ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Hugs: Hopefully I can take what I learned here and apply it! We shall see. To all the ladies who have had such wonderful success! Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration because I so wanted to give up!

QueenFee

Ooooh I need help with getting my edges back they're already sensitive and thin and I dont know how or why because I don't ponytail too often and definitely not tightly, but i need methods to remedy it...there is a lot of good info here and if there are anymore suggestions I'd gladly welcome them.

Have you been to the doctor? When I first started thinning I went to a derm and the doctor and my iron and biotin levels were waaaaaaaaaaaay low, it wasn't until three months after I started taking them that I saw even a little bit of growth.HTH

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Having stopped relaxing my hair and sleeping on a satin pillowcase is growing my edges back in. I don't think they became terribly thin but there are spot along my hairline in the front and back that I think could be a bit thicker.
I used to think that I didn't have any baby hair but now my hairline is growing in and I have plenty of fuzz it would probably be more if I didn't wear a wig all the time. I haven't done anything special at all. I just wash it, moisturize it and leave my it alone.

QueenFee

I am using a tooth brush as well tif, I use it to apply my t-tree and peppermint oil...I love the tingle!

gadgetdiva

Have you been to the doctor? When I first started thinning I went to a derm and the doctor and my iron and biotin levels were waaaaaaaaaaaay low, it wasn't until three months after I started taking them that I saw even a little bit of growth.HTH

Yeah my iron levels are fine I have started taking biotin. I think it may need some stimulation that pic shows them looking thinner than they really are although I want to try to thicken them up as much as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalla

My aunt had lost all her hair on her edges for years. Some of it has grown back since she stopped relaxing the area and starting massaging some Balanites oil on it . I doubt you'll be able to find this oil where you live but I think any good hair oil (castor oil, coconut oil, avocado oil) would have the same effect.

Vashti

I know MTG helped mine. Also I oil my scalp with a mixture of olive oil and castor oil. I think that really helped my edges.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
You can use plain castor oil to thicken your edges. I did that my past natural journey. It also helped with hair growth.