Any lifteime NATURALS crossed over to RELAXED?

BeatriceFly

I am so afraid to relax especially since I have always been natural
However, as time goes by, I only want to do it more and more
Even if I have to cut 4 inches off for it to look how I want it
I am just tired of being natural
I want a clean look
I just want some feedback from always naturals who have now relaxed

Do you love/hate it?
What relaxer did you use?

Thanks guys!! (I know I keep posting these relaxed threads)

Cheleigh

I'm not a lifelong natural, but what's holding you back from relaxing, if you've already tried pressing and wigging it straight?

I was relaxed for over 20 years, so being relaxed was no longer any great shakes. Probably you feel the opposite, so what's the worst that can happen? You might hate being relaxed and you might have to transition or BC. But you might also like it.

caligirl

I did, only to grow out my relaxer after one year. I prefer the thickness and feel of natural hair.

Katt73

I was almost lifetime natural...I got my first relaxer back in 1990 for the prom, wore it through college and did the BC right after college graduation in 95. From 95 - 06, I wore a fro and locs. Last spring, I cut my hair into a pixie and relaxed it. I have no regrets...not one. I thought it would be very traumatic, but it wasn't. The only trauma was relying on a flaky stylist who would overbook before I started relaxing my own hair!

My first relaxer was a Vitale lye which was great for a short cut since it relaxed my hair bone straight. Now I texlax with ORS No-Lye -- it allows me to wear my now neck-length bob as bushy as I'd like or as straight as I'd like.

Do you ever wear your hair heat-straightened? If not, perhaps you should experiment with that for a while before committing to a relaxer. Growing it out or chopping it off if you don't like it is the real commitment.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best!:)

Last edited:

spelmanlocks

I was natural for most of my life. I didn't get my first relaxer until a little over two years ago when I was 21 and now I'm trying to go natural again because I miss the texture of my natural hair. I wanted to relax because I was tired of wearing braids, wigs, and having to press my hair to get it straight.

Personally I'd just say really read up on all the care that relaxed hair needs, because for whatever reason I thought relaxed hair would need less care since its straight hair. I just thought I could comb it and it would look nice, but I've found relaxed hair to be much more work than natural hair personally. Although I do enjoy the styling versatility of relaxed hair.

My first relaxer was Design Essentials, but now I use Mizani sensitive scalp.

BeatriceFly

Thanks guys
I pressed my hair for years and years
But it damaged my hair

I like the straight style
I also like the natural style
But I really think a relaxer is better than pressing

Nefertiti0906

caligirl said:
I did, only to grow out my relaxer after one year. I prefer the thickness and feel of natural hair.

Same here! Only thing is sometimes I'm tempted to again, because I think it'll be so much easier:ohwell:

Glitter

Well, I was natural for the majority of my life and I just relaxed after 10 years of natural.

I'm not going to lie, I'm glad I did it. What is the point of keeping your hair a certain way if you're constantly frustated with it and not seeing the results you want?

I went to a professional to get it done and she used affirm. I love the straight look and remember, your hair will retain some of its curl so you can always airdry and go back to curls.

don't get me wrong, being relaxed has its own host of problems but at least i don't struggle with my hair for half the day when i straighten it and i can style it easily into something i like!

lana

Sorry I missed this post. I was natural for six years and I thought that would be it for the rest of my life. I used the pressing comb and then the Maxiglide (which saved my hair) but then I realized that I never wore my hair curly - EVER! So why was I natural? I was using heat too often (for my 4a/b hair). Finally after serious thought I decided to TEXLAX not relax. This means that I use Mizani Sensitive Scalp Relaxer and applied it to my virgin hair for a literal five minutes. This was the best thing that I have ever EVER done for my hair. Now I can wear it straight or curly - that's right, my curl pattern loosened up but it's still there, so I can enjoy a wash n go or a straight sleek look!

It's the best of both worlds. I would never relax because for me relaxed hair takes away my thickness and overtime overlapping wins.

I do my own texlaxes at home and so far, so good! It's month 7 for me and I stretch about 10-12 weeks between touchups.

I say go for it!

aroberts

I have been thinking the same thing lately! I have been natural for about 10 years now, but the only time I wear my hair curly is back in a bun under a phony pony. I hate not being able to do anything with it now, especially since I had to cut a few inches off due to heat damage. If I do go that route eventually I will definitely texlax though. My scalp cannot take a full on relaxer.

luckymonkey1307

i was a lifetime natural
then just got sick of dealing with it
always having to have my hair dry under a scarf so mye edges would lay down, having to press to get straight and silky, and I do not have extremely kinky hair, i have 3c/4a, so my edges were pretty easy to deal with and it was still too much

i got a relaxer olive oil ors no lye. no breakage no regret. I am going into my 3rd month since i got my relaxer and I am fine, I can not WAIT to get another one. Just keep taking care of your hair like you did when it was natural and it will be fine. moisture is key, and my hair sucks things up and gets dry again, so i always put somethign in my hair.

but the point is, i would go for it, i was scared becuz of the horror stories, but u will truly enjoy it!