Relaxed Ladies: Why do you choose to be relaxed?

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
This is sort of a spin off from the natural by desire or force thread, it was very interesting and nice to see why all the naturals decided to go natural but relaxed ladies why do you choose to be relaxed?

I choose to be relaxed because my favorite hair styles are some what straight, bone straight and wavy, they make me look really good and relaxed hair makes it easier to achieve those styles for me, IMO...and I also love to feel my hair after a fresh relaxer.

HOW BOUT YOU ALL?

*Muffin*

I choose to relax because I started off my hair care journey being relaxed, and seeing as my hair is healthy and feels great I see no reason to go natural at the moment. I will in the future, probably after I've achieved all I want to achieve with relaxed hair, then I figure I'll go natural. Plus I can't braid well at all and I'm not very good at styling my hair, so I want to make sure I learn how to do those things before I go natural so I can enjoy all the versatility it has to offer.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I choose to relax because I started off my hair care journey being relaxed, and seeing as my hair is healthy and feels great I see no reason to go natural at the moment. I will in the future, probably after I've achieved all I want to achieve with relaxed hair, then I figure I'll go natural. Plus I can't braid well at all and I'm not very good at styling my hair, so I want to make sure I learn how to do those things before I go natural so I can enjoy all the versatility it has to offer.

Same here, I hardly know how to style hair, I figure I'll go natural at 60-65 when all my kids are out of the house, I've retired, and am too tired for relaxers anymore.

Esq.2B

I've been relaxed since my mom relaxed my hair when I was a little girl. I don't know the first thing about caring for natural hair and I'm not sure I'd want to be bothered. I may go natural one day but for now, relaxed is the only way I know.

mango387

VERSATILITY

I have mostly 4bz hair. I also like to wear curly and straight styles as well as braided looks (no hair added). Having a relaxer enables me to do all of that. I did go natural back in college, but the humidity in the South limited my style choices, especially during the summer. (Two-strand twists were gorgeous with my natural texture, though). With a relaxer, my hair can be nappy (hence my love of stretching), straight, curly, wavy, etc. year-round.

ETA: My wise mother (God bless her) never wanted me to have a relaxer, but I begged for one before sixth grade. I am so happy that she didn't let me style my hair then, because I would have been bald.

Last edited:

MarieB

I like the look and feel of my hair when it's relaxed, and it is easier for me to style and care for. I am thinking about getting a BKT, though. From the sound of things, it's even more versatile and less damaging. But it will definitely cost more than my tub of SE :(.

Last edited:

ShiShiPooPoo

Convenience.

I like to wear my hair straight without the worry of reversion and if I want it curly I can do that too.

I relax bone straight btw...

Dposh167

I've been relaxed since my mom relaxed my hair when I was a little girl. I don't know the first thing about caring for natural hair and I'm not sure I'd want to be bothered. I may go natural one day but for now, relaxed is the only way I know.

same way for me

ceebee3

I don't know how to do my hair and relaxing just makes it easier for me. I'm just learning how to do anything besides throw it in a ponytail. I plan to go natural after I reach mid-back length.

Denise11

I love the way my relaxed hair looks and feels. I can wash, condition, and style my hair in no time. The styles that I love requires my hair to be relaxed.

It seems as if it takes way too much time for naturals to care for their hair. I just don't choose to go through all of that. I'm not one of those people that likes doing hair.

MissMusic

I began my journey natural but I wanted my hair straight most of the time without worrying about reversion due to the extreme humidity of Florida. Also, it takes a lost less time to style and a lot less time to detangle. Plus I love the styling choices.

onejamifan

:yep::yep::yep:

Egyptjones

I find that I put more effort into styling my hair when I'm relaxed. O...and I don't look good in braids or twists...lol

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When I was relaxed, hair styling was super simple. I could roller set and wrap quickly. When I was younger my hair relaxed with no problem. As I got older, my texture became more difficult to relax strait. I am learning how to straiten my hair without chemicals, but it is more harder to maintain a strait style.:ohwell:

Esq.2B took the words right out of my mouth, I choose to be relaxed because, It is all I know, I was natural almost a year, and I didn't know how to take care of my natural hair, it was dry, and I had to almost wash it everyday, and I was on a ship....so I really didn't have time to do it, and when I had to be somewhere right then and there, I had to take 30+ mins to do my hair, and I was just so tired and I was younger....so I went back to relaxing. One day I will be natural but right now while being a single mom and in college, and still have goals and dreams to achieve, I only have time for a ponytail and braids outs......but now I'm able to find products that can get rid of the mineral bulid up, moisturize, oil and maintain a protein balance.....I now things now that I didn't know when I was 21 with a relaxer.....so even though my hair is relaxed, it's more healthier because I'm aware of the details that I wasn't aware of.....but natural and relax are both beautiful......

yuriko

I have done both and prefer to be relaxed for now. My hair is very very very Kinky with super tight curls, the only thing that really works for my natural hair is to keep it braided or cornrowed, also here in the USA, I don't have someone to braid my hair weekly without pulling my hair or charging too much.

Now that I know how to take care of my relaxed hair, I absolutely love it. I rollerset, I wear flexirod sets, braid outs, braid outs; and I can do it all by myself

Jas123

The Star of a Story
it's easier for me to handle & it's convenient & i can still wear it curly when i want to

LivingDol1

same. my mom and my grandmother both have relaxed hair and so i've always had relaxed hair. the only time i've had natural hair was when i was wearing individual braids. i've never even made an attempt to wear my own hair natural. plus my hair is so light, it just grows out and not down. so that's why i prefer to relax my hair.

ShantWhite

I textlax because I cannot deal with the knots that come along with transitioning to or just being natural. However, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HAVING NAPPY HAIR! So this way, I kinda get the best of both :yep:

SmartyPants

I relax because I prefer to wear my hair in straight styles and I think the constant heat on my natural hair would do more damage than a relaxer (I never use direct heat on my relaxed hair--rollersets only)!

MizzCoco

I tried being natural, and while i really loved it, I returned to relaxing because it was alot easier to deal with. And now i know i can have healthy hair and still relax thanks to this site.

Solitude

1. Straight hair styles are prettier/ sexier on me
2. Easy/low/no maintenance. Today I worked out and co-washed/conditioned/ and bunned my hair - that took about 3 minutes in the shower.
3. Versatility - can easily create curly styles with roller-sets
4. Takes 0 minutes for me to de-tangle in the shower
5. Combing out my naps hurts (no offense to anyone, I'm talking about ME)
6. I relax bone straight and have been relaxed for over half of my life -(thankfully) I have never suffered any ill effects from relaxers. I never saw them as the "devil" until joining this board & learning more about healthy hair care....I experimented with long stretches & researched transitioning. I definitely see the benefits of being natural, but it's not for me.

gabulldawg

It's all about convenience for me. I remember my natural days very well. I remember the thick and nappy roots after my hair reverted after sweating. My hair would be cute, but I wouldn't be able to comb through it because of my roots reverting. :ohwell: I remember how hard it was the detangle and comb my hair. I don't plan on going back there anytime soon. :nono:

Relaxed hair is also more versatile. No one can convince me otherwise. I can flat iron my hair and wear it straight. Or I can do a bantu set and wear my hair wavy. I can do pin curls, straw sets, flat twist outs, roller sets, braid outs, etc. All with little or no effort. Natural hair is hard work!

I've thought about going natural again, but all I have to do is think about my memories as a natural and I quickly change my mind...

prospurr4

As an adult, I have been natural, relaxed-straight, and now texlaxed, which I believe is the best of both. I love being texlaxed because:

- I spend way less time on my hair, ie detangling is sooooo much easier (compared with my natural hair).
- I don't use direct heat but can easily wear straight or curly styles with rollersets.
- I can wear a BIG, textured style where people wonder if I'm natural.
- It doesn't take hours upon hours to achieve the styles that I want.
- I get to enjoy the actual length of my hair, with less shrinkage.
- I still have plenty of thickness.
- Since I'm a self-texlaxer, touchups (only 4 times a year) are easy and inexpensive.
- I don't have "issues" with texlaxing, ie burning, shedding, breakage, etc.
- In spite of being texlaxed, my hair is healthy and the longest it has ever been in my life.

ShiShiPooPoo

It's all about convenience for me. I remember my natural days very well. I remember the thick and nappy roots after my hair reverted after sweating. My hair would be cute, but I wouldn't be able to comb through it because of my roots reverting. :ohwell: I remember how hard it was the detangle and comb my hair. I don't plan on going back there anytime soon. :nono:

Relaxed hair is also more versatile. No one can convince me otherwise. I can flat iron my hair and wear it straight. Or I can do a bantu set and wear my hair wavy. I can do pin curls, straw sets, flat twist outs, roller sets, braid outs, etc. All with little or no effort. Natural hair is hard work!

I've thought about going natural again, but all I have to do is think about my memories as a natural and I quickly change my mind...

You cut your hair?

It is VERY cute and sassy!:yep:

joytimes10

I hate the time it takes to tame my natural hair. I have a job, kids, hubby and a life. 4 hours on my hair every weekend is just not practical. I need to be able to wash and go. I'm ending my stretch ASAP!

MonPetite

it's easier for me to handle & it's convenient & i can still wear it curly when i want to

Convenience.

I like to wear my hair straight without the worry of reversion and if I want it curly I can do that too.

Same here.

I tried being natural, and while i really loved it, I returned to relaxing because it was alot easier to deal with. And now i know i can have healthy hair and still relax thanks to this site.

1. Straight hair styles are prettier/ sexier on me
2. Easy/low/no maintenance. Today I worked out and co-washed/conditioned/ and bunned my hair - that took about 3 minutes in the shower.
3. Versatility - can easily create curly styles with roller-sets
4. Takes 0 minutes for me to de-tangle in the shower
5. Combing out my naps hurts (no offense to anyone, I'm talking about ME)
6. I relax bone straight and have been relaxed for over half of my life -(thankfully) I have never suffered any ill effects from relaxers. I never saw them as the "devil" until joining this board & learning more about healthy hair care....I experimented with long stretches & researched transitioning. I definitely see the benefits of being natural, but it's not for me.

Easy manageability and I want to be able to show length and not deal with shrinkage.

ITA with the above posters. I've been natural, texlaxed and bone straight. I am the latter now and love it.

I've been blessed with thick, dense hair that handles it well, flourishes and has a body, bounce and movement to it that looks better than many of my friends with naturally straight hair.

It's SO much less work. I spend 1 HOUR every 4 days on my hair -That's wash, DC, detangling, blow dry (to speed up drying not to straighten, thats' why I'm bone straight to begin with).

Daily styling (I time it b/c I want to focus on my skin not my hair in my daily morning routine) takes 5-7 minutes. That's from NIGHT SCARF OFF to READY TO SHINE.

It asks so little and yet looks so good. Every day I know EXACTLY what it will look like and making changes is a breeze. A bobby pin here a twist there the night before and voila! New look.

At this point in my life my hair is no longer my top hobby. Writing, school work (in college) and crafting my future is. It was fun, but now I want to focus on other things. Being bone straight allows for that and I love it.

I have THREE products in my arsenal now: A DC, shine serum and shampoo. That's IT. I didn't have much more than that as a natural, tis true, but I use far less now than I did as a natural and interestingly a lesser quality DC can do more for my hair as it retains moisture better relaxed.

LOVE IT.

Last edited:

LaLaa

I choose to relaxe cause my hair is easier to style like the ladies mentioned. My Newgrowth right now is sooooo thick i cant see me trying to manage a whole head of newgrowth texture! I would probably use heat on my hair 1-2x per week to get the straight look i love. So instead i will relax my hair every 6mo - a year and still maintain healthy hair.