Any Naturals Feel Like their Hair is Not growing???

AtlantaJJ

Chicoro's book is saving my life in terms of how to care for my ends and to keep them from getting tangled and knotted. Her detangling, washing and conditioning methods are God sends for me especially since my hair is getting longer. Look her up and perhaps she can help you.

that_1_grrrl

Aww...OK.

I don't get knotting with twists or braids, but I don't use products. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also redo my braids as they need it so they never get a chance to knot up at the base. Also making sure not to use conditioner near the base and not applying products means that there's no residue build up that could create a knot at the base.

There are others who use products and also have good success with C&G. Hopefully someone can help you figure out what change you need to make to enjoy your braids. Otherwise, maybe practice will make perfect. Like when you braid, do you make sure not to mix hair from each of the 3 strands? In other words, once you start braiding, keep strands in their own 1/3 section all the way to the end. Smoothing as you braid so that hairs don't mix in where they don't belong also helps. And when you undo, I hope you don't use a comb but rather feel with your fingers like I do.

I don't use any product. I usually just co-wash and then use coconut or vatika oil to seal. That's it. I also don't use a comb. It was probably hair mixing.

I would like my sister to do individuals on my hair instead of cornrows like I got last time, but she still likes to rake through my hair like crazy, and I can not afford to lose any hair to breakage (my hair is in really good shape right now).

I would like to learn to individual braids with extensions but for now, I am just going to leave it alone. My hair is pretty happy. I keep it wrapped up, and I am going to buy some fabric, so I can have head wraps for this summer. That's how my hair retained so much growth the first go around. I just left in a headwrap. I probably would have seen even better retention if I moisturized it often.

Ms Lala

Yep, it was the dye. Did you do it yourself?

I once worked at a high end salon that specialized in color. After every color process they would follow with this super deep conditioner called POWERDOSE that would keep the hair healthy. Only a licensed hairstylist or salon can get it.

I also believe the pressing added to the damage. Once you get a permanent color, you have to treat your hair like it's damaged, because technically it is. Constant conditioning with quality products is a must.

I have color on the ends of my hair. I wonder if that's why it's breaking like this. It doesn't seem to matter if I do no heat, low heat , dc all the time etc... it breaks. Most of the color is gone but I still have about an inch or 2 of it left.

msdeevee

Chicoro's book is saving my life in terms of how to care for my ends and to keep them from getting tangled and knotted. Her detangling, washing and conditioning methods are God sends for me especially since my hair is getting longer. Look her up and perhaps she can help you.

I have the book.

I guess I should open it and read it, hah. :blush:

I cut about 3" off the scraggly ends so now my hair is no longer APL, it's a little past my shoulders and hopefully I'll be able to nurse it back to health and get it growing again.

Last edited:

miss Congeniality

I can so relate to you Country Girl. I know I have had some damage in the past years. This year I am going to try to wear mainly wear protective styles. So far with the ps and deep conditioning, my hair feels healthier, but the shrinkage has increased.

Country gal

I can so relate to you Country Girl. I know I have had some damage in the past years. This year I am going to try to wear mainly wear protective styles. So far with the ps and deep conditioning, my hair feels healthier, but the shrinkage has increased.

Right now my hair is out but it is a protective style to me. hardly no manipulation