Any Naturals Feel Like their Hair is Not growing???

glamazon386

I feel like mine isn't growing either. Pictures help some (I can see that all my dye is gone) but I swear I've been this length for almost a year now.

kimmy89

Rosie, have you tried wearing your hair in a style that lets you leave it alone? I had your length early 2007 and decided to do the hard C&G challenge. In June 2008, I undid a couple of braids and pressed that section to see if my hair shines w/o products when pressed. :hide: I was shocked at how much progress I had made. I'ma bore you with that pic coz I absolutely love reliving the excitement of that discovery!

So I went from this in Feb 2007 to this in June 2008 thanks to braids. Of course I'm probably still at that June 2008 length today :lachen: But that's not the point. :lol: The point is, when I wore braids and left my hair alone, it grew. So maybe you could try that. The surprise is well worth the wait. (Note to self: I need to go back to braiding. :scratchch ) And CountryGal, I braided all the way to the ends. Way beyond my own hair. :look:

wow!!! when you said hard crown n glory you meant it! i may have to get that site up right now! how often did you rebraid?

jada1111

I wear my hair out all the time and what bothers me is that I know it's getting longer and growing, but SHRINKAGE is a major bother to me. It seems like the longer it gets, the more it shrinks. I can't stand it. :wallbash:

It's only after I put it in several braids or twists at night (adding CD Healthy Hair Butter) for stretchage in the morning do I see the length.

Do you use a good deep moisturizing conditioner twice a week? One that you could leave in for about 5 minutes, along with your regular routine? What about a good moisturizing leave-in?

For your breakage problem, maybe doing a protein conditioner once a week could help? Do you have permanent color? There are so many factors in what could be causing the breakage.

What is your usual routine?

If braids is your thing, the girl who runs this site: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/ grew her by wearing braids and a special regimen. I haven't visited there in years, but it might help you.

I don't do an "official" trim, but I "dust" off the loose strands of hair when I see them.

I don't do protective styles, because I like wearing my hair out. I would love to wear some FIERCE cornrow styles that I see in people's avatars though. They look complicated, but sophisticated. Something I can go on interviews with and know I look beautiful. :grin: I would wear them for six months, because I know length would be retained a lot longer.

Country gal

I don't deep condition twice a week. I wonder if I should. I also think diet and stress may have a lot to do with it. I plan on taking the multi vitamins.

DMJ's Mom

I feel as though my hair hasn't grown all winter long!! Its been much harder to detangle since I stopped cowashing so I think I'm getting breakage.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Shrinkage makes my natural hair look super short. :sad: I know it's growing, but it is discouraging at times when others can't see it.:rolleyes:

jada1111

I don't deep condition twice a week. I wonder if I should. I also think diet and stress may have a lot to do with it. I plan on taking the multi vitamins.

If you have the money, I suggest buying Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak. I love this!!! The longer you leave it in the better. It leaves my hair sooooo soft and I do feel like it's making my hair better. My only problem is that it's $25. A little goes a long way though. You don't really need to use a "regular" conditioner with it. I love it, love it, love it!

Another good one is Enjoy Hair Mask. It comes in a jar, but you can buy a small bottle for about $9 to test it. It leaves the hair very moisturized and smells like strawberries. This line is especially good if you have color.

Last, but not least Pantene Relaxed and Natural Moisturizing Mask in the brown jar. This is great too, but... I don't know if it's actually "repairing" my hair, you know what I mean? It leaves it soft and looking fabulous.

Enjoy also has a conditioner in the bottle that's supposed to make your hair feel like butta, but I haven't tried it yet.

Devacare One Conditioner is VERY GOOD as a leave-in to me, but I don't think it detangles all that well.

I've had good experiences with products that say they are for DRY, DAMAGED OR COLOR TREATED HAIR. Even though my hair doesn't have color, the extra moisturizing properties seem to be just what natural afro hair ordered.

I only get breakage when I use cheap conditioners (Suave, V05). The only time I can get away with using cheap conditioners is if I'm conditioner washing daily (which I rarely do, since my routine takes too long).

Last edited:

Country gal

If you have the money, I suggest buying Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak. I love this!!! The longer you leave it in the better. It leaves my hair sooooo soft and I do feel like it's making my hair better. My only problem is that it's $25. A little goes a long way though. You don't really need to use a "regular" conditioner with it. I love it, love it, love it!

Another good one is Enjoy Hair Mask. It comes in a jar, but you can buy a small bottle for about $9 to test it. It leaves the hair very moisturized and smells like strawberries. This line is especially good if you have color.

Last, but not least Pantene Relaxed and Natural Moisturizing Mask in the brown jar. This is great too, but... I don't know if it's actually "repairing" my hair, you know what I mean? It leaves it soft and looking fabulous.

Enjoy also has a conditioner in the bottle that's supposed to make your hair feel like butta, but I haven't tried it yet.

Devacare One Conditioner is VERY GOOD as a leave-in to me, but I don't think it detangles all that well.

I've had good experiences with products that say they are for DRY, DAMAGED OR COLOR TREATED HAIR. Even though my hair doesn't have color, the extra moisturizing properties seem to be just what natural afro hair ordered.

Wow. Thanks for the great suggestions.

jada1111

Shrinkage makes my natural hair look super short. :sad: I know it's growing, but it is discouraging at times when others can't see it.:rolleyes:

My hair gets exceptionally short when I use styling products on wet hair with butters in them like shea, cocoa, etc. Not only short, but dull.

Because my hair is getting longer (especially on top) I have to style it a different way, so that it airdries nice. If not, it looks stupid or bozo the clownish, because the top is a different texture and overpowering the tighter coiled sections on the sides and back.

Sigh. The joys of naturalness. LOL!

tffy2004

I felt the same way until I flat ironed my hair for the first time this year and saw that I am indeed getting growth.

I think with natural hair and all the curls you really don't notice it as well as you can with relaxed hair.

jada1111

Wow. Thanks for the great suggestions.

No problem Country gal! :grin:

There used to be a time I would post constantly on the different hairboards, but sadly I've fallen off. :ohwell:

I've used soooooooooo many products over the years that I already know what works for ME. Also, I've noticed that certain boards will get on a bandwagon (and I've done it too) and STAY on that wagon for what seems like YEARS. It's like nobody wants to get innovative or experiment with other things.

Like for ME, I can't use any styling products that was created for bi-racial hair, because most of them contain butters (murmuru, shea, etc.). Instead of making my hair frizz free and getting beautiful coils, I get the opposite. Excessive frizz, shrinkage, etc. Now that becomes a problem when my hair looks BETTER with NO PRODUCT. If a product is making my hair look WORSE than with NO PRODUCT, well... Also, I don't like gels with protein in them. My hair make look good, but feel very dry. I like Devacare Arc Angell gel, because once it dries my hair still feel soft.

By changing some of the products you're using, I bet you'll see a difference in breakage. I also don't comb my hair DRY under any circumstances. If I ever do, it will be with a detangler.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

I've been natural since 2001 and feel this way all of the time. My hair should be wsl by now. I end up cutting so much that it seems like it's not growing. I have issues w/tangles and knots and end up chopping off almost the same amount that I grow in a year. It's annoying sometimes. Maybe if I could stay away from the scissors I'd be alright. Another problem I have is combing and handling my hair to rough and ending up w/lots of breakage.

blazingthru

I am feeling the same way as if all of a sudden my hair stopped growing I can't tell really I have taken two pictures since December and my hair is the same lenght. Two months and not growth. I try not to think about it. I wear protective styles very often. I never wear my hair out anymore. it looks neater tucked a way anyway and I am so use to it. But when I take it down I expected to see some growth. Nada, nothing.

that_1_grrrl

I don't follow the bold. Do you mean just the fatigue/headache of taking them out or was there a problem?

Both. It felt like my hair was tangled and knotted. The same thing happens with my twists, even if I do the twist the individual strands as you braid/twist. I had some braids that were so tangled, it took me a good 10 minutes (maybe more) just to get them down.

I feel I should wait until I know more about hair braiding before I attempt that again (I did this all on my natural hair). I don't have much experience with braids. I haven't worn them consistently since I was a little girl.

Country gal

I've been natural since 2001 and feel this way all of the time. My hair should be wsl by now. I end up cutting so much that it seems like it's not growing. I have issues w/tangles and knots and end up chopping off almost the same amount that I grow in a year. It's annoying sometimes. Maybe if I could stay away from the scissors I'd be alright. Another problem I have is combing and handling my hair to rough and ending up w/lots of breakage.

I see what previous members meant when they said the longer your natural hair grows the more problems. It seems I sometimes have issues with drying my hair with the thickness I have now. Detangling is becoming harder.

ResultsMayVary

YoOo! I definitely feel this way. I just took some comparison shots and I guess its growing but I still feel like it grew faster when I was permed :look:

Jetblackhair

That;s the culprit. I would see small hairs. I feel sometimes those small hairs are misleading because you don't realize you are suffering from breakage. I am giving my hair a break from braids for a month. I think the next step is to get a sewn in weave which completely hides my hair and let it rest.

Yes, those short pieces look harmless but they are deadly. Those pieces collectively over a period of time can mean the lost of an inch or more.

I too just want my hair tucked away (even though I was loving my twist outs) and especially my ends because they give me the most trouble.

kweenameena

I was so frustrated with my hair last night that I gave myself a hair cut.
It felt so much healthier by the time I was done.

TCatt86

I feel that way as well. I feel like I have been btw SL and APL for about six months. I am not seeing much progress.

Nonie

Both. It felt like my hair was tangled and knotted. The same thing happens with my twists, even if I do the twist the individual strands as you braid/twist. I had some braids that were so tangled, it took me a good 10 minutes (maybe more) just to get them down.

I feel I should wait until I know more about hair braiding before I attempt that again (I did this all on my natural hair). I don't have much experience with braids. I haven't worn them consistently since I was a little girl.

Aww...OK.

I don't get knotting with twists or braids, but I don't use products. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also redo my braids as they need it so they never get a chance to knot up at the base. Also making sure not to use conditioner near the base and not applying products means that there's no residue build up that could create a knot at the base.

There are others who use products and also have good success with C&G. Hopefully someone can help you figure out what change you need to make to enjoy your braids. Otherwise, maybe practice will make perfect. Like when you braid, do you make sure not to mix hair from each of the 3 strands? In other words, once you start braiding, keep strands in their own 1/3 section all the way to the end. Smoothing as you braid so that hairs don't mix in where they don't belong also helps. And when you undo, I hope you don't use a comb but rather feel with your fingers like I do.

Carrie A

I would get back on a multi at least and maybe a B complex. When I take my vits consistantly my hair and nail growth speed up. Plus B vit help with stress too.

Last edited:

glamazon386

For your breakage problem, maybe doing a protein conditioner once a week could help? Do you have permanent color? There are so many factors in what could be causing the breakage.

I think the color did me in. I didn't see any visible signs of breakage or serious damage - like no hair falling out just strands here and there from combing. But every time I would get it straightened, the ends looked raggedy even if I had just had a trim. I'm convinced it was the dye. Once I got all the dye cut out, I didn't have that problem anymore. I just got my hair trimmed last month and the last time I had it trimmed before that was April 2008. It was fine all that time and I didn't really need one last month I just knew it had been a while so I made an appointment. With that dye I got it cut the day I got it dyed (Sept), again in November, again in Jan, again in April, and so on. I'm convinced it was that dye. Nothing else in my routine changed. I still wash and DC once a week.

jada1111

I think the color did me in. I didn't see any visible signs of breakage or serious damage - like no hair falling out just strands here and there from combing. But every time I would get it straightened, the ends looked raggedy even if I had just had a trim. I'm convinced it was the dye. Once I got all the dye cut out, I didn't have that problem anymore. I just got my hair trimmed last month and the last time I had it trimmed before that was April 2008. It was fine all that time and I didn't really need one last month I just knew it had been a while so I made an appointment. With that dye I got it cut the day I got it dyed (Sept), again in November, again in Jan, again in April, and so on. I'm convinced it was that dye. Nothing else in my routine changed. I still wash and DC once a week.

Yep, it was the dye. Did you do it yourself?

I once worked at a high end salon that specialized in color. After every color process they would follow with this super deep conditioner called POWERDOSE that would keep the hair healthy. Only a licensed hairstylist or salon can get it.

I also believe the pressing added to the damage. Once you get a permanent color, you have to treat your hair like it's damaged, because technically it is. Constant conditioning with quality products is a must.

Country gal

I once worked at a high end salon that specialized in color. After every color process they would follow with this super deep conditioner called POWERDOSE that would keep the hair healthy. Only a licensed hairstylist or salon can get it.

I also believe the pressing added to the damage. Once you get a permanent color, you have to treat your hair like it's damaged, because technically it is. Constant conditioning with quality products is a must.

I really want color but I think I need to wait. I need to get my hair under control first. I am glad that it feels healthy once I got a trim.

HairHustla

Your growth won't be faster, it's gonna grow out of your head regardless if the ends are relaxed or natural at the same rate. As far as gauging your hair growth, why not just measure and take stretched pictures? that is what I do. Also natural hair does not need to be a lot of work. Do you have to cowash daily? Maybe you could do some protective styles or just moisturize daily.

Now if you just want to perm your hair, then go ahead, but don't just do it for those reasons.

Thanks for the tips, I am just trying to find myway and what may work the best. I was under the impression that it would be healthier and grow more if I co-washed everyday. I kind of like it even though it is a lot of fuss. How often do you co-wash and by the way your hair is lovely. As far as protective styles, I do use a half wig which is in my signature picture and try to keep my hair moisturized everyday. I use a glycerin and honeyquat mix with olive oil and coconut oil and aloe juice. That works pretty well but it is a constant struggle because I have found that as a natural, my hair will dry out with a quickness. Any other suggestions?

glamazon386

No, I had it professionally done at a salon that specialized in color (Colorworks then, it's now Salon Cielo). He used some special technique where the color was raked through with a comb. It higlighted specific curls and looked like the color was painted on when I wore my hair in a wash and go. He put the bleach/developer on my hair first and then put a color glaze that I chose on top. I did do extra deep treatments and he did treat it when I came but I don't think it was enough. I think the damamge was already done. That dye must have just broken my hair down - maybe because my hair is fine it took an extra toll on it? It was only highlighted on the top half. The bottom did not get dyed.

I don't think it was the heat because it was rare that my hair was straightened. Maybe 3 or 4 times out of a whole year. And it was blow dried and then flat ironed. No hot combs, no pressing, no smoke, no burnt hair smell, always good products used on it, it always reverted fine, my texture didn't loosen up, etc. When I straighten it now, it's fine. And I've had it straightened more this year since the dye was gone. I don't see as many one strand knots (which I only see when my hair is straight) either. At one point I was getting it straightened every two weeks before it got too warm outside and I had no problems. I just got my ends trimmed last month for the first time since April and she only trimmed maybe an inch. That was the first time I ever had my hair dyed in my whole life and I doubt I'll ever do it again. If I was relaxed, I imagine my hair would have fallen out.

Last edited:

kweenameena

I really want color but I think I need to wait. I need to get my hair under control first. I am glad that it feels healthy once I got a trim.
You're right to think you should wait. Part of the reason that I went on a scissor frenzy with my hair last night is because of my highlights. Never again.

I recently started using Nexxus emergencee weekly.....that might be too often for some but my hair is slowly making a turn around because of it.
I sit under my Pibbs with it (without a cap) til it gets hard and then I DC under the pibbs again (with a cap) and then rollerset. I think that this will be my regimen for awhile til I get up the patience to get some braids.

kweenameena

Humectress as a DC feels great on my hair especially after I poo with the Nexxus Moisture Therappe.
My ethiopian stylists sales this deep condish call Lolane Hair Treatment. I can't find it online anywhere but I love it!

glamazon386

Humectress as a DC feels great on my hair especially after I poo with the Nexxus Moisture Therappe.
My ethiopian stylists sales this deep condish call Lolane Hair Treatment. I can't find it online anywhere but I love it!

Cosign on the Humectress. I've been using that since I was relaxed. I also use it as a leave in. I stopped using the Therrappe on my natural hair though. It was too stripping.