Any Naturals thinking about Texturizing?

CocoaCure

I'm natural but considering Texturizing. I like my natural hair, but it just seems like Texturizing gives the best of all 3 worlds - I could still rock my Fabulous Fro, wear it wavy/curly with activator, or it would be much easier to blow dry and wear it straight! Anybody else thinking of doing this or have already done it? Is it everything you thought it would be? If so, how often do you Texurize?

M_BYRON_M

Im definately thinking of having a teturizer or a blow out kit becasue it makes everything so easy like wear it in 1 and it gives the illusion of longer hair .

But im scared of the concequnces (sorry bout spelling) eg even more breakage etc.

Autumn

Hi Cocoacure. I texturized my natural about a month ago. I dunno what made me do it. No, wait, I know. I was bored and thought that I'd have more versatility
. That's why.

Lemme tell you....it looked cute right after I rinsed the cream out (mild cream of nature lye). It almost looked like I had a jerri curl, though
. I also immediatly noticed that the texturized hair was easier to snap and break. As it began to dry, it became very crunchy. One peculiar thing that I noticed after my texturizer was that after a few days, it started to 'revert' back into my fro lol. I know that technically, no reversion took place, but it looks and feels just like my kinks. I think that my hair is trying to tell me something......don't fight it!

So for now, I'm going to not use any chemicals and try to work with my natural hair. I don't really like having to apply lots of moisturizers and goop to attain a false curly look. Instead, after looking at various hair albums of naturals, I'm going to experiment with banding and roller sets. I'm also going to look into braid extensions for length because I do feel that I look better with longer hair.

peace <3

bellydancer

i was thinking about it too for that reason. It's the best of all three worlds, but I'm definitely hesitant. I just love representing for the naturals because where I'm from we easily get dismissed. I'm such a rebel too lol everybody wants me to get a relaxer (although some said I encouraged them to stop relaxing) and it makes me kind of different. I'm going to try to achieve the best of all 3 worlds with m natural hair. Just wash it and fro it or braid/twist it for looser curls (thanks to Nay!), or even straighten it (i can't remember where I saw this, but a natural rollerset her hair and wore it straight with some volume, or just hot comb it.

Eiano

I was DEFINITELY think about it. I even made a post, then after that made an appointment. But let me tell you what stopped me: I was pumping gas and had my hair in a low ponytail with the hair out, and the hair was curly and tame! A very fine man approached me and asked me questions like "How'd you get that beautiful curly hair? How long does it take to do that?" He said things like a lot of women have straight hair and they think its cute, but what it beautiful is being natural and proud!

I decided to stick it out because I think that I have to not just deal with, but love the way I am!

itismehmmkay

Well, I'm currently natural for the 2nd time.

That's #1.

Before this second time, I texturized my "1st" natural hair on my own w/ a Motion's Mild Lye Relaxer (this was last summer).

I loved it!!!!!! Wash and go for real!

The problem (and ultimately my decision for a 2nd natural) came when I tried to do personal retouches and my hair started breaking

So, what am I doing after these braids?

I'm going to schedule an appointment w/ a professional to do what I did last summer.

I say go for it, but have a professional do it. And let them know that you don't want it completely straight.

Ayeshia

nope. i get the same results with my natural hair, except i have less frizz. but i can work on that

Nay

Cocoa, I think seeing pictures like those ones on the Curve Salon website do make texturizing seem appealing. But, personally, I believe a chemical is a chemical is a chemical. Shoot, with a little water and grease (or whatever the product of choice) and a little braiding or twisting, I bet those Curve gals could have some purty hair without the texturizer.

With that said, I'd say just know what you're getting into if you ever do decide to go that route. Sometimes the grass isn't really greener on the other side!

Hey, Belly
Girl, keep representing for the naturals!!

Aisha81

I thought about it way back when, but I never bothered with it. When I did the reading, I realized a texturizer is just a weak relaxer. And I wasn't willing to go back to needing touch-ups. I'm just toooo lazy for regular appointments with either a stylist or a box and my bathroom. LOL. I feel if your too lazy to maintain a look/style/texture, then get rid of it. But hey, that's just me.

henrilou

I would love to texturize to loosen up this kink, or at least make the comb out easier. But I am afraid that the results would be the same as all my other relaxers: slowly but surely the back of my head would start breaking and no amount of TLC will stop it.

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
Eiano said:
I was DEFINITELY think about it. I even made a post, then after that made an appointment. But let me tell you what stopped me: I was pumping gas and had my hair in a low ponytail with the hair out, and the hair was curly and tame! A very fine man approached me and asked me questions like "How'd you get that beautiful curly hair? How long does it take to do that?" He said things like a lot of women have straight hair and they think its cute, but what it beautiful is being natural and proud!

I decided to stick it out because I think that I have to not just deal with, but love the way I am!

[/ QUOTE ]
the majority of compliments that I receive are from men! I wonder why that is! Guys all the time ask me questions about it. One guy that works at the cafeteria at my school asked a whole boatload of questions! "How long you been natural? Is that all your hair? How'd you get it to be so long? Did you put something on it or is it naturally shiny?" After that conversation I was too happy
. then my ex boyfriend still tells me "You are the only girl that looks sexy in an afro." lol I'm amazed men like it. I figured they would be the first ones to be complimenting a girl with some "pocahontas" hair.

bellydancer

I agree with the touch up thing Aisha. My hair is so carefree now.

You keep reppin for the naturals too Nay. You are truly an inspiration.

jade998

My main issue would be the touch up's and breakage. I think you have to think back to why u went natural, If like me your hair is just killed getting it relaxed, then a texturizer (mild relaxer)might not be ur answer!

PhonyBaloney500

I thought about it once and decided not to. Then at a salon I went to, the stylists kept suggesting that I texterize my EDGES so they don't have to burn me so bad when they blow dry.
I posted a message on the old Wendy Williams board and some folks advised not to.

Basically a texturizer is a milder perm left in for a short amount of time, no? You still have to get touch up's and all that crap and if you don't breakage would result, eh?

I am constantly fighting with the thought but I have really fine hair ( quantity and strands) so I think I'll look even balder if I mess with chemicals again.

MrsQueeny

I think about it all the time especially with 3 other natural heads that I have to care for. But then, I look at how far I've come and change my mind. I do get a lot of compliments from people in general. I guess being in NM they don't see alot of black people especially those that are natural. Besides, I stopped relaxing because I hated having to deal with touchups and with a texturizer, I would need one. Now I have a regimen and found products (thanks to the ladies on this board) that have significantly cut down on tangles and styling time so that makes it that much better. Either way, keep us posted on what you decide. Take care and GOD BLESS!!! Queneesha

CocoaCure

Wow! Thanks everyone for all your posts! I LOVE the thickness of my hair now and I really do not want to lose that. I'm thinking I better just stay put! At least for now. It's always good to run things by others who have tried something or thought about doing something too! Thanks again everyone!