Help me out: Does this make ANY sense?

Belle Du Jour

Okay.

I'm currently natural and am thinking about TEXTURIZING to go back to natural. Get it?

I'm frustrated with the length, and because my hair is fine, there are a lot of styles that I can't do (i.e. twists) because they don't look full. I'm not a wig girl, and I LOVE the low maintenance of natural hair.

So, I'm thinking about texturizing my hair so that all my hair is type 3, and wearing a shake n go (perfect for the summer) as my hair grows out. That way, it will still look cute as it grows out. Did that make sense? Help!

I would probably self-texturize but I'm not sure if I would use lye or no lye. In the past, I used no lye (TCB Naturals) to get my hair straight, and my hair was fine. When I texturized with lye, my strands got extra thin and fragile. Any suggestions?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
No, it doesn't make sense. lol

I prefer using a lye relaxer to texturize over a no lye.
No lye left my hair dry, dull and hard. I was natural at the time.
I then texturized with lye and my hair was soft, smooth, and shiny.

What strength of lye relaxer did you use?
Were you natural when you texturized with it?

Belle Du Jour

CurlyCrly said:
No, it doesn't make sense. lol

I prefer using a lye relaxer to texturize over a no lye.
No lye left my hair dry, dull and hard. I was natural at the time.
I then texturized with lye and my hair was soft, smooth, and shiny.

What strength of lye relaxer did you use?
Were you natural when you texturized with it?

:lol: I didn't think it made sense!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to grow out my hair, but I don't want to sacrifice looks. I don't like a twa fro on me, but a curly shake n go would look better. I love natural hair, but I want to wear it natural when it gets to a certain length.

In the past I used EQP mild lye. I was natural when I texturized. How do you know if lye or no lye is better for your hair?

Last edited:

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I'm still confused, but anyway...... :)

You know if no lye or lye is better for your hair by how your hair looks/feels after you've been using them. I never had a problem with maintaining length with either lye or no lye, but the no lye always made my hair feel harder and drier.

pink_flower

Classi- are you saying you want to texturize until your hair gets to a certain length, then you will transition back to natural but you will only chop when you reach a desired natural length? Is this right? LOL. I cant really help you on this topic I was just tryin to make sense of what you were saying. HA!

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
classimami713 said:
:lol: I didn't think it made sense!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to grow out my hair, but I don't want to sacrifice looks. I don't like a twa fro on me, but a curly shake n go would look better. I love natural hair, but I want to wear it natural when it gets to a certain length.

In the past I used EQP mild lye. I was natural when I texturized. How do you know if lye or no lye is better for your hair?
So are you thinking the texturizer will help your hair grow out more??? :confused:

How will you be sacrificing the looks of your hair if you grow it out naturally???

I would think -- getting a texturizer to loosen your natural hair just to make your hair look longer to wear a curly shake n go and then going back to natural -- would sacrifice the looks of your hair. :ohwell:

Honey, the growth will come. If you wanna be natural in the end, I wouldn't use a texturizer as a means to your end. I would wait until I gain more length with your natural hair to wear a curly shake n go. :yep:

Patience is the key to success.;)

caligirl

I was thinking of having my hair texturized by the guy who wrote the book "Hair Rules." Their is a great picture in that book of texturized hair. He works out of the Louis Lucari salon in New York. Does anyone have any experience with him?
Sorry to hijack your thred.

weaveadiva

Poohbear said:
So are you thinking the texturizer will help your hair grow out more??? :confused:

How will you be sacrificing the looks of your hair if you grow it out naturally???

I would think -- getting a texturizer to loosen your natural hair just to make your hair look longer to wear a curly shake n go and then going back to natural -- would sacrifice the looks of your hair. :ohwell:

Honey, the growth will come. If you wanna be natural in the end, I wouldn't use a texturizer as a means to your end. I would wait until I gain more length with your natural hair to wear a curly shake n go. :yep:

well put poohbear! ;)

Belle Du Jour

pink_flower said:
Classi- are you saying you want to texturize until your hair gets to a certain length, then you will transition back to natural but you will only chop when you reach a desired natural length? Is this right? LOL. I cant really help you on this topic I was just tryin to make sense of what you were saying. HA!

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say. You said it better, though. . . :lol: I wish that I had transitioned to a certain length without doing a big chop is what it boils down to.

Belle Du Jour

Poohbear said:

Pooh, I don't think a texturizer will help my hair grow faster. (I know it will only stretch it out making it appear more of the length it is.) I was just saying that I'm frustrated with how my hair looks at this length. I can do a shake and go at my length now, it's just tighter. (except for patches of 3c here and there)

hopeful

classimami713 said:
Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say. You said it better, though. . . :lol: I wish that I had transitioned to a certain length without doing a big chop is what it boils down to.

Oh okay, now I understand. Girl that was too dang confusing!:lol:
Anyway, I do understand how you feel BUT once you texturize will you feel you'll need a touch up by mid-summer? Are you saying you are planning to transition starting in the fall and plan to transition for a long time, say a year to 18 months or girl do you really just want texturized hair? How long have you been natural and how long is your hair now? Maybe you need to give it a little more time. A month or so after I bc'd I saw a fotki album of someone who was texturized and I was tempted for a minute because her hair is the bomb, but then I thought about it, if I could fool around with relaxers for nearly 30 years couldn't I give natural hair a shot for at least one year? In the end though it's your hair and you should do what makes you happy. Good luck girl, I hope I didn't confuse you even more.:look:

Editing after reading your response to Poohbear's post. Sounds like you don't love your 4a hair but do love your 3c hair. I personally feel very protective and loving toward my 4a tightly coiled hair, the hair that gets attacked by the hot comb and the relaxer the most, the hair that gets beaten into submission, the hair we were told was nappy and not good enough. For some reason I've come to love it so much.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
classimami713 said:
Pooh, I don't think a texturizer will help my hair grow faster. (I know it will only stretch it out making it appear more of the length it is.) I was just saying that I'm frustrated with how my hair looks at this length. I can do a shake and go at my length now, it's just tighter. (except for patches of 3c here and there)
OH okay! ;)