Any RELAXED ladies able Grow Bra Stap or Mid Back Length without protective styling?

venusfly

Any RELAXED ladies Grow Bra Strap or Mid Back Length without protective styling?

Was anyone able to grow their hair to bra strap or mid back length WITHOUT protective styling, meaning just relaxing your hair and wearing it out? I've done it before long before my introduction to LHCF back in the day when I wasn't even into haircare, but I was curious as to the experiences of the women on the forum....Please share your experience .......TIA!

Last edited:

Lynnerie

Re: Any RELAXED ladies able Grow Bra Stap or Mid Back Length without protective styli

I know sylver2 was able to. You should visit her fotki she has beautiful relaxed hair.

Damaged but not out

Re: Any RELAXED ladies able Grow Bra Stap or Mid Back Length without protective styli

I did pre-LHCF days also. Would flat iron about 2 times a month. But i would wear ponytails daily just to keep it off of my neck and out of my face. So loose 70% of the time

My sister also had bsl, she would flat iron weekly. pin curl mid week, but 80% of the time it would be loose.

bryantgurls

I am relaxed and MBL and I don't PS unless you wanna count my regular ponytails as as protective styling, lol! I either have a ponytail or am wearing it down. I flat iron once a month.

ChocolatePie777

When i was relaxed i basically keep my hair(on purpose) around apl/bsl/mbl most of the time.....and this was before forums or any set hepalthy hair reggie.........how ever i did wear my hair of my back shoulders a lot(because it was annoying to me) either in ponytails or the bun you make by just not pulling your hair all the way through the pony holder......but i wouldnt really consider it protective styling

Mjon912

Re: Any RELAXED ladies Grow Bra Strap or Mid Back Length without protective styling?

Was anyone able to grow their hair to bra strap or mid back length WITHOUT protective styling, meaning just relaxing your hair and wearing it out? I've done it before long before my introduction to LHCF back in the day when I wasn't even into haircare, but I was curious as to the experiences of the women on the forum....Please share your experience .......TIA!

When i was younger and going to the salon my hair was going on mbl and i never wore it up... then on my first hair journey I got to BSL, I protective styled very infrequently and trimmed almost never...looking back I realize that I would have made BSL a lot sooner had I been ps and trimming but it took about 3 years to go from very damaged SL to full BSL, ou can check my fotki (links in siggy)... And I'm not a slow grower...roller setting and wrapping at night with some organic root stimulator olive oil spray is heaven to my hair

Evolving78

the best way is to at least protective a few times a wee'k, or just wear a style that'.s not always rubbing against your clothes.

sunnieb

It can be done! :)

However, for me, I can't be lazy for too long. I grew my hair to BSL last year with heavy protective styling. I decided to ditch ps this year because I was tired of it and wanted to enjoy my hair. Laziness ensued and I ended up cutting back to APL in July.

I'm on track to get back to BSL this December. I cowash every other day and moisturize in sections on the days I don't. I also dc once a week. Keeping my ends moist and trimmed is vital for length retention. Protective styling helped get me this far, but I want to get to longer lengths without it.

ETA: and NO direct heat for me!

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

gvin89

I had bsl hair before deciding to go natural.....after my first pregnancy, my hair stayed long. My stylist would stretch my relaxers....went from 6 to 8 to 10 and finally trained my hair to go every 12 weeks between touchups. I never did protective styling....mainly just flat wraps or doobies - every now and again I'd get spirals. I did absolutely nothing between visits outside of an occasional oil to the scalp and cream moisturizer on hair/ends. My hair was awesome until I moved to a different city :-/. Shortly thereafter I decided to go natural.

I have 2 friends with long thick hair who never protective style. One is bsl and the other is mbl. One relaxes every 10-12 weeks and the other every 16 weeks.

venusfly

I know @sylver2 was able to. You should visit her fotki she has beautiful relaxed hair.

@ Lynnerie! Thanks. I did take a look at Sylver2 and all I can say is that is a FABULOUS LUXURIOUS head of hair! Just wow!:sweet:

AFashionSlave

I've done it several times over the years, but once it reaches bra strap length my ends always look rough.

Nina_deF

I'm texlaxed and protective styling does not agree with me.
I wear my hair out 4-5 days a week, whether it's curly or flatironed.

I'm currently 4 omths post, my stylist just had a baby so I'm not going to texlax until she comes back (I'm thinking another 2 months), which for me will be my longest stretch ever.

I alternate between weekly twistouts and weekly flatirons. I was at bsl but cut my own hair back to almost apl last week (I trim my hair 2-3 times a year).

Once I stopped doing the chase method with a comb, I now use a boar bristle brush) and started applying a smidge of castor oil to my ends after every wash, I started to retain length.

Last winter I cut my hair to sl at same time as a (white, staright-haired) collegue did.
Today she's at mbl BUT she's about 5'1 and I'm 5'11 so our hair is actually just as long. We both have thin (fine) hair.

Monaleezza

One of my friends has beyond bra strap length hair that she colours, wears out daily and uses heat on.

She thinks all my research is ridiculous, but she can afford to think it.

I grew my hair years ago in weave. It was the longest it had ever been and then.... I noticed I simply didn't have the hair anymore. Don't know why or when! Just able to look back at pics and have long hair as a distant memory! Lol

Good for those who can! But I can't afford to follow suit!

hillytmj

One of my friends has beyond bra strap length hair that she colours, wears out daily and uses heat on.

She thinks all my research is ridiculous, but she can afford to think it.

I grew my hair years ago in weave. It was the longest it had ever been and then.... I noticed I simply didn't have the hair anymore. Don't know why or when! Just able to look back at pics and have long hair as a distant memory! Lol

Good for those who can! But I can't afford to follow suit!

I agree with you not following her lead. I think the easiest way to view this situation is to compare it with fitness. I know many people who can eat whatever they want and maintain a reasonable size and muscle tone. Other folks have naturally defined abs, no matter how mAny fries they just ate. Me and my sister, on the other hand, have to exercise and avoid eating out constantly to maintain. If we tried to do what some people do, we may or may not get those same results. Does this make sense? IMHO, whether with haircare habits or fitness, it is best to take the healthier route.

To answer the OP, I went from APL to BSL in 4 months without PSing, but it took forever to get to MBL. When I finally resolved to bun for a while, it helped me break that plateau. Everyone is different, but I do believe PSing works. It also is easier to do the longer your hair gets because you'll naturally want to keep it up more so it won't get tangled, caught in your jewelry, etc.

D.Lisha

I wish I was one of these lucky few.....
If I go PS(less) my hair seems to get stuck or break off at a certain point..EVERYTIME.

Aireen

I grew to MBL a while back without protective styling and using heat almost every time I washed. I kept my hair down every time I went out day to day without any problems. I was determined to not need to PS to retain length. I will say that for me, it helps to keep your hair up and covered when you're sleeping though. I can go up to three days without it but really, for me, way more damage can happen when I'm sleeping than when I'm out with my hair down. Keeping balanced hair helps too, if you have protein overload and your hair is down, I feel like that's just asking for tangles to happen which can = breakage.

Right now I'm BSB and I'm still leaving my hair down minus the heat usage. I stopped with the frequent heat because it takes way too much time and I noticed midshaft splits. I plan to get to WL and beyond with just enjoying my hair and deep conditioning. For me, keeping balanced hair and keeping it out of the way at night helps the most.