How much protective styling for max growth?

kgard7777

Hello ladies I would like to start protective styling for maximum retained growth but i would still like to wear my hair flat ironed at least once a month and then do weekly deep conditioning and wearing my hair up the rest of the month.

For the ladies who have tried this regimine did you see growth? I am currently a 1.5 inches from bra strap and I would like to be mid back or more by the end of the year... Please help :)

Babygurl

When I started to bun I avoided heat like the plague for the first year and retained what seemed like all or MOST of my growth.

pistachio

I'd say everyday if possible. You should join me and many other members on the "Hide Your Hair 'Til April Fools 2007" Challenge. It started on 01/01/07, but it's not too late, you can still join!! It's where we wear our hair up in any protective style of your choice, just so long as it doesn't reveal how long your hair is. And then on 04/01/07, we wear our hair down, and take pics of the progress. It'll be a way to shock friends and family with your new length !! :)

kgard7777

Thanks I think I will try the challenge but how do you ladies avoid the I think I am ugly with my hair up plague? :) and babygurl you are an inspiration I started the boards in 02 and remember you ... your progress is amazing and I have maybe retained 4 inches since 02 that darn heat! :)

pistachio

kgard7777 said:
Thanks I think I will try the challenge but how do you ladies avoid the I think I am ugly with my hair up plague? :) and babygurl you are an inspiration I started the boards in 02 and remember you ... your progress is amazing and I have maybe retained 4 inches since 02 that darn heat! :)

Don't worry, i think i look ugly with my hair pulled ALL THE WAY back in a high pony tail!! That's why I part my hair at the top, and then pull back, and make the bun level with my ears. Thay way, it's not too high to make me feel ugly, but yet high enough not to rub up against my clothes, or any harsh material:)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
If u think U R ugly with your hair up, hide your hair with a phony pony or wig. I even found a cap that I cover my hair with at work. People were like "What did u do to your hair now?":lol: Keep them guessing! I am currently unable to braid or twist my hair well, but I wore 2 mini buns this past week. The results- my nape is growing faster than it ever has. That is only the first 2 weeks.:D Protective styles work!

janeemat

I agree that bunning is definitely the trick to retaining length. But I do feel you on the "feeling ugly wearing the bun". Especially when the new growth is popping out of 4b type hair. I do part my hair to bun towards the top and wear it low. And yes, Babygurl's hair is very beautiful. But I just can't figure out how a 4b can stretch more that 8wks without using heat. Grant it, I do not use a blowdryer and haven't used one in 2 years. I set my hair, but then I press it with the back of the curling iron to smooth out the new growth. I think I may ask this question in another thread.

crlsweetie912

Protective styling 90% of the time. I usually give myself a pass for church on Sundays, so I can beat the doldrums. But Sunday night, it's back up into a bun, phoney pony or some other protective styles. I keep my protective styles fresh by getting lots of cute earrings, hair clips, sticks, slides and barrettes. You can make a killing at any local BSS or dollar store.

LaNecia

janeemat said:
I agree that bunning is definitely the trick to retaining length. But I do feel you on the "feeling ugly wearing the bun". Especially when the new growth is popping out of 4b type hair. I do part my hair to bun towards the top and wear it low. And yes, Babygurl's hair is very beautiful. But I just can't figure out how a 4b can stretch more that 8wks without using heat. Grant it, I do not use a blowdryer and haven't used one in 2 years. I set my hair, but then I press it with the back of the curling iron to smooth out the new growth. I think I may ask this question in another thread.

I'm protective styling about 6 days of the week, the 7th is the take down, wash condition and re-upping day! We'll see how it works come April...

When stretching past 8 weeks, If found that frequent CO washing and sealing my hair w/oil while it's damp helps tremendously. Tying the hair down at night with scarf after applying an oil/gel gets those gnarly edges to behave...until the perspiration starts anyway. HTH.

femalegold

Babygurl said:
When I started to bun I avoided heat like the plague for the first year and retained what seemed like all or MOST of my growth.

Babygurl, Thanks to you I have been washing my hair every three days and I'm also doing the hide your hair till April Fool. But I'm seeing major progress alone. Babygurl I having been stalking your fotki album. Your growth is so inspiring. Thank you.

kimapeach

VWVixxen, what beautiful pics! Congrats on getting married and wishing you all the best and good luck, trust me- in marriage- you'll need it! :grin:

MzOptimistic

kgard7777 said:

Girl, when I started wearing buns all the time. I was like I'm tired of this and when I saw other woman with their hair done when my SO and I would go out to eat. I use to feel plain BUT when I saw how much growth I get by keeping my hair in a ponytail and the ends baggied. I'm sooooo past that ugly betty phase....I don't care anymore...I'm on a mission and this style is getting me there fast:D

Last edited:

MzOptimistic

VWVixxen said:
I'm protective styling about 6 days of the week, the 7th is the take down, wash condition and re-upping day! We'll see how it works come April...

When stretching past 8 weeks, If found that frequent CO washing and sealing my hair w/oil while it's damp helps tremendously. Tying the hair down at night with scarf after applying an oil/gel gets those gnarly edges to behave...until the perspiration starts anyway. HTH.

Vixxen, I know everyone has said it BUT I'm going to say it again, you look very beautiful in your pics and congratulations. I wish you and your new hubby the best:)

amwcah

I kind of felt the same way, but I got ideas from Trimbride. Please check out her photo album. She has dressed her buns nicely!

tsmith said:
Vixxen, I know everyone has said it BUT I'm going to say it again, you look very beautiful in your pics and congratulations. I wish you and your new hubby the best:)
;)

RabiaElaine

tsmith said:

Oooh I wanna see the rest of the pics! I love your new siggy pic, you guys look great! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding protective styling. I started protective styling 100% of the time in June 2006. My hair has grown tremendously since then. I've been doing the hairboards for years now. It wasn't until I made a 100% commitment to hiding my ends that my hair has made any progress. Just think of how much growth you'll have in 1 year, I'm sure that will help you get over the "uglies." Try using accessories to play up your hair, and little make up (mascara, some shadow, a little blush, and lip gloss) and you're ready to go. You'll be surprised how chic you'll look with that combo.

janeemat

I want to retain all 6 inches this year. That means I have to bun another 353 days. Good Lawd! Someone need to start a "hide your hair 6 out of 7 day challenge."

Keen

I'd like to add that protective styles do not make your hair grow any faster however it allows you to rettain the lenght you already have. Many people loose length due to constantly breakage so they feel as if they hair "don't grow" but it does.

tijay

i've been protective styling for the past 3 months...hope i have as much growth as you ladies!

Shima01

it's strange for me to hear that some girls feel "ugly" wearing their hair up. If anything upswept hairstyles is the symbol of ELEGANCE and SOPHISTICATION! Just ask 99% of brides or girls who go to their Proms.

Shima01

I look at it this way. Either you want long hair or you don't. So if you do want long hair...and fast then my suggestion to you is to wear your protective styles as often as possible and forget what others say or think. My Shima Hair Growth System revolves around Protective Styling. All of my Shima Hair Girls are happy with their new growth and don't care what people have to say about how they look when their hair is up because Once their hair is down it is soooo long and healthy...all those people who talked their "mess" had to eat their words!