Bra-strap Length or Longer --- Relax Own Hair??

Just curious. Are there any ladies on this board with bra-strap length hair or longer who relax their own hair? If you relaxed your hair in the past, did you stop relaxing it yourself because it was too long to handle?

Thanks.

myco

Re: Bra-strap Length or Longer --- Relax Own Hair

I started relaxing my own hair in the 11th grade. I've only had my relaxer done by a stylist 2x. I always pin up the sections I'm not working on to keep it out of the way, but if I have a lot of tangling on the ends, that can slow me down.

myco

I use Affirm Mild lye, but before that I used Revlon Realistic Lye mild. I think I switched from No-lye maybe 4 years ago.

myco

I really liked the revlon realistic, I started using it because I read a report where they tested different relaxers and it got one of the best ratings. I first ordered the Affirm because my mom liked it, so I figured since we're splitting the cost of buying, I can give it a try. Being a PJ didn't hurt either. But the Realistic left a lot of the strength and curl pattern in my hair, without it being frizzy or looking underprocessed. I didn't have that dry and ashy red look that I had with no-lye. I used the one that came in the box, because at the time I didn't know that the one in the tub was the same product.

I personally think that Affirm and Revlon realistic give me similar results, I can't think of any distinct relaxing advantages that one has over the other. The Affirm 5-in-1 reconstructor is an excellent product that is definitely worth the money, the revlon doesn't have anything that can compete with that, IMO. It also helps that the revlon can be found locally and in smaller sizes. If I can't get Affirm or I can't afford to order it, the Revlon is the one that I use.

HTH

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
I started relaxing my own hair in the 11th grade. I've only had my relaxer done by a stylist 2x. I always pin up the sections I'm not working on to keep it out of the way, but if I have a lot of tangling on the ends, that can slow me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You started relaxing young! I don't know your age, but that's probably a lot of practice and good experience you had. Did you always have brastrap length hair?

myco

I'm 26 now. I've had it cut really short on top and shoulder length in the back and I broke it off to ear length when I was 16. I was using a pressing comb over relaxed hair. To me it was no different than using a flat iron. I was so wrong. I used to watch my mom when she did my sister's hair. Once when I kept bugging her for a touch-up, she asked me if I wanted to do it myself. She supervised the first couple of times, but after that I was on my own. I never get worried when I do my own, but every time someone else asks me to do their touch-up, I pray the entire time that I do not melt their hair off their heads. That would bother me more than my own hair falling out.

Isis

I think your mother really did you a great favor by allowing you to do your own touchups, after monitoring you first. What a wonderful way to learn!

I broke my hair off in the past using hot combs on relaxed hair, not knowing that is a no-no!
I own a new flat iron but I need to learn how to use it first. I noticed people like you and others with bra-strap or longer have used the flat iron without problems.

zanna

I relax my own hair, yes it's longer to handle but I am used to it. I use a child relaxer, and I to the retouch pretty fast with great results.
Zanna

[ QUOTE ]
I relax my own hair, yes it's longer to handle but I am used to it. I use a child relaxer, and I to the retouch pretty fast with great results.
Zanna

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be an expert relaxing hair the length of yours.
I am giving you an A+.
Have you always done your own retouches?
So, how much time do you spend on rinsing the relaxer cream from your hair?

zanna

oh thank you Ultrasheen, that's so nice!
When I started with relaxing my hair, my sister was doing my relaxer retouches, but then I moved out and I started doing it myself until now. I don't go to hair dressers( I have never been to one: we always took care of our own hair in my family, we are very good at it).
I only retouch the roots of my hair, and rincing the relaxer out of my hair takes about 1/2 hour, because I shampoo with the color coded neutralizing shampoo, rince it out, shampoo again over and over till all the relaxer residus are out. Then I shampoo again with my regular shampoo and rinse. Then after that 1/2h of shampoo and rince, I let a reconstrutor treatment sit in my hair for 15mn to 1/2h and rince.
<font color="red"> But the process of relaxer retouch itself goes pretty fast </font> (applying takes about 5 to 7 mn, smoothing takes about 10 to 13 mn, I have a clock(timer) for the relaxing process, so I won't pass the limit
)

Sincerely
Zanna

G

I relax my own, I've been doing it for a long time now, like since 8th or 9th grade. I used to just glop in in and go from there. Since joining the board I now apply properly and use a bowl and tint brush. Funny how back then I knew nothing of overlapping so I'm sure I did a lot more damage than good

When your hair is longer, it's better to start in the back and work your way to the front. It's much easier that way.

tomnikids3

I have bra strap length hair and i have been relaxing my own hair for over 20 years, i'm 39 now. I too have started useing the affirm (love it) and i have used i think 80% of the relaxers available on the market today. Affirm is the best, i use the regular, then i make sure to use a good conditioner (Aveda, or Biolage) because i do go to the beautician weekly and get my hair flat ironed. I also use the Brilliant Moisturizing cream to keep my hair from getting dry. Love the Aveda products.

Isis

tomnikids-

Does flat ironing your relaxed hair cause any damage? I've been staying away from all heat and although I have a flat iron (brand new) I keep wondering if it will damage my hair. Is that why you have it done professionally?

Isis

Also tomnikids- What is your hair type? Thank you!

Dutchess

I have been relaxing my own hair for years. I didn't get this much length until I read a popular hair care book and learned how to take care of my hair. My hair is the longest that it's ever been! I pin up my hair in sections until I am ready to apply the relaxer. I get fatigued, my arms get tired and I have to be very careful not to overlap or overprocess. It's a job! I'm glad I only have to do this every 14 weeks now that I take MSM. (see post) Optimum is the only relaxer that I've used on my hair and I am ready to switch to Affirm because I have heard so many good things about it.

tomnikids3

sorry took so long to respond...i have 4/a-b hair and i try to use products that dont contain any mineral oil, or petroleum, not good for our hair...and shampoos and conditioners that have no SLS.. which can be hard to find and deep condition and wash every week.

[ QUOTE ]
zanna said:
oh thank you Ultrasheen, that's so nice!
When I started with relaxing my hair, my sister was doing my relaxer retouches, but then I moved out and I started doing it myself until now. I don't go to hair dressers( I have never been to one: we always took care of our own hair in my family, we are very good at it).
I only retouch the roots of my hair, and rincing the relaxer out of my hair takes about 1/2 hour, because I shampoo with the color coded neutralizing shampoo, rince it out, shampoo again over and over till all the relaxer residus are out. Then I shampoo again with my regular shampoo and rinse. Then after that 1/2h of shampoo and rince, I let a reconstrutor treatment sit in my hair for 15mn to 1/2h and rince.
<font color="red"> But the process of relaxer retouch itself goes pretty fast </font> (applying takes about 5 to 7 mn, smoothing takes about 10 to 13 mn, I have a clock(timer) for the relaxing process, so I won't pass the limit &lt;img src="http://st1m.longhaircareforum.com/images/smilies/grin.gif" alt="" /&gt;)
&lt;img src="http://st1m.longhaircareforum.com/images/smilies/bath.gif" alt="" /&gt;
Sincerely
Zanna

[/ QUOTE ]

Zanna, which relaxer do you use?