Any weekly heat stylers left on the board???

Ladylynn

I haven't posted on here in so... long. My life has gotten extremely busy with two little ones (1 and 2). My hair has since grown a little past bra strap length. I just wanted to know if there were any regular weekly heat stylers on the board that is still making progress even though you use heat. I'm thinking about going back to air drying weekly and using heat once a week. I just don't have the time to roller set anymore. I know I would have to buy quality heat tools and products, and keep my hair in tip top condition.

Does anyone else follow this regimen with good success? Do you wash once a week, air dry, then use heat to style (once a week)? Even if you blow dry then use a heat tool to style once a week, I would still like to hear from you. I just don't want to ruin my progress I have made over the years.

Katt73

Yes. I flat ironed weekly for years right up until three months ago when I started transitioning. My hair thrived.

ManeStreet

I did it for years as well. Never had a problem. But I have very strong hair. I recommend being religous about deep conditioning. Deep condition once per week no matter what. And don't curl, flat iron even think about putting more heat on during that week. Good luck.

Missjae09

when I was relaxed I used heat daily, my hair was short but it was healthy. Regular heat didn't bother my hair, now that I'm a natural I don't want to remove the kink/curl from my hair so I don't use it that often.

Bnster

When I wash mostly weekly - I use cool and low settings when using heat. Blow dry setting at cool (run my fingers through the hair instead of a comb) and flat iron at 310F (2nd lowest temp).

I oil pre-poo, light protein treatment and DC each wash then apply my leave-ins and heat protectant.

ETA: I'll continue doing this until I can air dry my hair when the warmer weather arrives. I find I need to add some heat to manage my NG (I'm over 5 months post - 6 months next week :grin: hooray!)

Last edited:

curlycrocheter

I'm not quite weekley. But I have been flat ironing every 7-12 days all winter and my hair has only thrived because of it.

I deep condition every wash and do a light protein treatment before any heat. I also use heat protectant eveytime.

Fyne

I Deep Condition/Shampoo + air dry with flexi rods then flat iron - Once a week.

OR

Deep Condition/Shampoo + roller set with low heat then flat iron next morning - Once a week

Thinking of making this every 2 weeks instead, and try no heat weeks in between.:yep:

shtow

I haven't posted on here in so... long. My life has gotten extremely busy with two little ones (1 and 2). My hair has since grown a little past bra strap length. I just wanted to know if there were any regular weekly heat stylers on the board that is still making progress even though you use heat. I'm thinking about going back to air drying weekly and using heat once a week. I just don't have the time to roller set anymore. I know I would have to buy quality heat tools and products, and keep my hair in tip top condition.

Does anyone else follow this regimen with good success? Do you wash once a week, air dry, then use heat to style (once a week)? Even if you blow dry then use a heat tool to style once a week, I would still like to hear from you. I just don't want to ruin my progress I have made over the years.

@shtow does for the most part, and her hair is :drool:

Thank you Curly. I heat style weekly and I would say I retain well and my hair is healthy (If I can stretch to 2 weeks, I do). I haven't had to trim my hair in over a year because my ends are pretty healthy. I clarify every 2 months or so and use Roux mendex for protein every 3 -4 months. I wash and DC with Keracare's dry and itchy line. I dry under the dryer until 80 percent dry with paul mitchell's the conditioner and fantasia ic heat protecting serum. Then I blow dry the rest of the way with my cricket blow dryer (from sally's) and I flat iron with my CHI. After that, I apply a little Moroccan oil and apply that maybe once during the week, sometimes I don't need to at all.

I sleep with a silk scarf and I don't wrap my hair. I also use a lye relaxer every 2.5 -3 months.

This doesn't work for everyone. I just do what my hair likes. My hair hates straight oils and too much moisture. Once I started doing what my hair responded to and staying away from the bandwagons, I saw progress.

HTH

hothair

I heat style almost weekly as well with no problems, I've only trimmed my hair for the first time in almost 16 months because I wanted it to look thicker not necessarily from damage (heat and coloured).

Last time I tried rollersetting and I like it but haven't washed my hair in the last 10 days not feeling too great. Like a PP said a DC is key I DC at least 3 hours or overnight as a prepoo then wash and condition(5 mins) before styling

MsKikiStar

:wave: I flat iron weekly after air-drying on wash days. except the past 2 weeks I wanted to use the Curlformers again and I still air-dried. my hair doesn't like blow-dryers *shrug*.

Ladylynn

Well, I am fully committed now. I just purchased some high quality heat styling tools. Now I’m on the quest to find a good heat protectant. I’ll be using Keracare, Kenra, Mizani, and Nexxus products mainly. I’m going to keep a journal for a month starting out in order to keep track of the health of my hair. I’ll also measure my hair from this starting point. The moment I see that my hair is not responding well to heat, I’ll go back to rollersetting. I hope all goes well.