Anybody used to HATE the smell of coconut oil...

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
but now love the way it smells? The thread about coconut oil had me wanting to put some on my hair. I opened my lil tub and breathed in deeply (it smells good dang it!) and kind of laughed to myself when I remembered how much I used to DESPISE the smell of it. I would read and hear people saying all the time how much they loved the smell of coconut oil and I just couldn't understand why anyone would like it...it smelled nutty to me, but in a really, REEEALLY bad way. And whenever it would be in my hair I'd shove my head in my sister's face and be like CAN YOU SMELL IT o_O

Until now :)

The more I used it over time, the less it smelled gross to me. Anybody else have this experience?

Aireen

I'm REALLY trying to like anything coconut scented. :look: I used to not like the smell at all and now I'm kinda meh about it. I usually don't pick out anything fragranced with coconut but usually do anyway because the product would promise the most moisture due to the ingredients in the product compared to the other scents in a particular line.

Last edited:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
^^^ that's how I was! I reeeeeeally wanted to like the way coconut oil smelled because the way it used to smell to me put me off of even wanting to use it. It's really strange to me that I like the smell now. When I smelled it for the first time I was like, oh goodness what did I just waste 7 bucks on haha. You know how when something says it's watermelon scented and it NEVER smells like what an actual watermelon smells like? I guess I was expecting the super fruity smell that most things that are "coconut scented" tend to smell like...and it was kind of a kick in the nostrils to smell all that...nutty-ness lol

Last edited:

belldandy

no darling, I love the way coconut oil smells. I want to eat it everytime I go to oil my hair/scalp. Yummy!

hannan

I still haven't gotten used to it and I don't think I ever will. I HATE anything coconut scented. My mom used to put it on my hair when I was little and she loves anything coconut scented. Our house is filled with coconut milk, water, cream, flakes, body lotions/butters, body sprays, candy bars :lol:. I think I've lost hope for it. :lol:

Aireen

^^^ that's how I was! I reeeeeeally wanted to like the way coconut oil smelled because the way it used to smell to me put me off of even wanting to use it. It's really strange to me that I like the smell now. When I smelled it for the first time I was like, oh goodness what did I just waste 7 bucks on haha. You know how when something says it's watermelon scented and it NEVER smells like what an actual watermelon smells like? I guess I was expecting the super fruity smell that most things that are "coconut scented" tend to smell like...and it was kind of a kick in the nostrils to smell all that...nutty-ness lol

It sucks because everyone goes on and on about coconut in general. Like loving coconut in desserts, coconut water, coconut milk, coconut in hair products, coconut oil, etc.. I had to make myself like coconut water because of my dad growing up and well coconut milk in food... there's really no escaping that with my family. :look: I even get sick of my Aussie Moist Conditioner since it has an artificial coconut smell mixed with something else to me. :look:

I'll make myself like coconut one day, it's not bad though, just not my cup of tea. I'll come back to this thread to share why I suddenly love it when I make that happen. :lol:

Last edited:

Urban

I never liked it and used to think it smelt like vomit (lol sorry guys), but I can handle it now. It does wonders for my skin and hair, I had to get used to it.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to get so annoyed at the scent. This is so funny you creating a thread about this.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Me too -- hated it!!! However, the smell of the extra virgin coconut oil is nicer to me.

blondemane

I'm loving it more now too, smells sweeter to me. I really started to love it after I saw how well it worked on my hair. Its like the guy that you date that is just OK, but then he treats you amazing and over time you think he's the sweetest sexiest thing in the world lol. Yea, coconut oil is my hair's boyfriend.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I'm loving it more now too, smells sweeter to me. I really started to love it after I saw how well it worked on my hair. Its like the guy that you date that is just OK, but then he treats you amazing and over time you think he's the sweetest sexiest thing in the world lol. Yea, coconut oil is my hair's boyfriend.

same here! It smells sweeter to me now too, not quite as harsh :yep:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I used to DESPISE the smell of coconut oil back in the day. I think it was because all of the "ethnic" products had a coconut oil smell and I hated how craptacular those products were and how heavy they felt on my hair. Therefore, I just associated that coconut smell with low quality "ethnic" products.

But now, I love the smell of 100% extra virgin coconut oil. Probably because it's pure and not masked with other crappy ingredients interfering with the smell.

I thought I was the only one :look:. Glad to see I'm not alone. :lol:

Rina88

Yea I use to think EVCO smelled terrible. The first time I purchased it I asked others if it smelled rancid and everyone thought it smelled great. It's not disgusting to me anymore, but I still can't wear that in public- only for pre-poo's. Funny thing is I feel the same way about Shea Butter and my favorite moisturizer (in Shea Moisture line) first ingredients are (water) shea butter and coconut oil and it smells divine. :lick:

CurlsBazillion

Yes! Virgin Coconut oil was very nauseating at first. I used to buy Lou Ana because I thought it was all the same and that coconut oil didn't bother me at all. One day the store was out of it and I tried virgin coconut oil. Uggghhhh I couldn't take the smell for weeks but it made my hair feel soooo soft and moisturized (now I finally understand ppl using that to moisturize with). I kept using it till it didn't bother me anymore. I can't say I love it tho, I'm not there yet lol

MzSwift

Yup, it used to make me sick to my stomach. But now I can tolerate it. It started when I began using Suave Tropical Coconut. It was the last scent I tried and all of the others were a fail. But now it's a staple. Since then, I've been able to tolerate EVCO, even to the point of ingesting a tsp/day in my tea.

belldandy

i use evco and refined coconut oil and both have helped my hair tremendously. the refined kind has no smell. so people might wanna try it if the evco smell bothers them :)

regina07

I use EVCO and don't LOVE the smell ... but last night I tried Hemp Oil and after gagging over that smell ... I can't wait to put EVCO on my ends tonight!