Anybody Wear a Weave Successfully With No Damage?

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I'm tired of my hair and I just want to get a mid-back length weave until my own grows full to that level...it's multi-length shaggy and I'm at bra-strap length but the top is to my ears. Anybody get a curly-kinky weave and not cause damage? How do you care for it? Are they just a damaging as braids? I'm just looking for wash-n-go.

If you get a weave I would recommend getting vertical cornrows NOT horizontal cornrows. The horizontal cornrows really break your edges bad due to the tension. And for some reason they itch more. The last time I did have my hair weaved I got the vertical cornrows and felt absolutely no tension just minimal tightness that loosened in a few days and less itching.

And also I would suggest weaving the entire head. When leaving alittle bit of hair out on top, it could sometimes be hard to blend the hair. (Some hairstylists leave alittle of the hair of the edges out too. I don't like this either b/c of blending and thinning edges.)

I don't know what products to use for caring for the scalp. (When I get weaves it is sometimes for a special occasion and so I take it out within a few weeks).

If you have long hair, how about cornrowing, braiding, or twisting your own hair? Then you could also rock a braid out or twist out for alittle bit too. That could look nice.

Well the last weave that I had was in December 08, and I only had it in for 2 weeks until I took it out, and I had lost 1 1/2 inches in length. I eventually Mini chopped a little over a week ago, and I decided to transition, and I am basically starting over. That's my weave story.

Last edited:
I had success with sew in weaves. i left hair out in the front for one, then i did a full head of weave the second time. yes, doing a full head is better for your hair but it doesn't look natural, at least not to me although it still fooled my white friends.

The only negative thing I experienced is a thin hair line.

After suffering some damage to my edges from a weave that was braided too tight, I learned how to do it myself.

I braid the cornrows vertically (from front to back) instead of in a circle. I braid them tight enough to hold the weft, but not tight enough to pull out my hair and I leave hair out all the way around and a portion in the middle front. I moisturized my scalp daily and used Sea Breeze if there was any itching. I also co washed my weave a couple times a week. You can't leave it in as long when you do this, but I wouldn't leave a weave in longer than a month or two anyway. I had no damage this way.

Here is a pic of the weave I installed over the holidays.

l_2effaa4597964622915c5ba5861924-2.jpg

I think as long as you make sure they don't braid your hair too tight you should be fine, just treat your hair the same as you would without the weave i.e. daily moisturizing, DC, treatments etc, most hair loss is caused by too tight braids negelcting your hair underneathe/tangling during removal. Since I've learned all this I've stopped having problems with weaves.

After suffering some damage to my edges from a weave that was braided too tight, I learned how to do it myself.

I braid the cornrows vertically (from front to back) instead of in a circle. I braid them tight enough to hold the weft, but not tight enough to pull out my hair and I leave hair out all the way around and a portion in the middle front. I moisturized my scalp daily and used Sea Breeze if there was any itching. I also co washed my weave a couple times a week. You can't leave it in as long when you do this, but I wouldn't leave a weave in longer than a month or two anyway. I had no damage this way.

Wow, that's beautiful! What kind of hair is that, brand name?

I have worn a weave w/o damage. In fact I retain much more length when in weaves/braids. I have always left hair out because to me a full sew-in looks just like a wig. Leaving the hair out also protects my edges. I have had indian remy curly hair and I would just do a co-wash or a rinse every other day. The main thing for me was to follow the instructions the merchant gives for caring for the (fake)hair. The real key is to just not leave the weave in for too long and always use human hair. And dont apply too much product to your own hair. Just keep your scalp clean and it will produce its own oils. Also, have a professional do your install and if you feel like it is in too tight have them take it out immediately. I did this once after a lady spent 6 hours installing a weave. After I looked in the mirror and had to convince myself that I wasnt CHINESE I made her sit right there and take it out!! She was pissed but I didnt care. She should know better than having a black lady leave looking like she's half asian. Anyway that's my advice on weave. HTH

Last edited:
Wow, that's beautiful! What kind of hair is that, brand name?

Thank you. This was a Beauty Supply Shop brand that I bought in Vegas in an emergency situation and I can't remember what it was. I installed it in my hotel room...lol. But I like the Outre Remy hair the best.

I wore weaves to transition and the only damage I had from them was from curling the front when I wore a straight weave and then leaving my kiny curly wig in too long so I had matting in my hair when I took it out.

I would advise a net weaves. They are flatter and more gentle on your natural hair because the weft is sewn to the net.

Halleyscurls.com has a great kinky curl. All about my hair also and kinikae's also make a nice kinky curl. Kinky curly hair can look really natural but curly hair, especially when processed can be work. Bohyme Brazilian makes a curl that looks really natural and can even be flat ironed (it looks better on people then it does online or even in the pack) but you will need to seal the weft to prevent shedding. Pro10 Bohemian Curl is also really pretty but I don't know how it acts.

My kinky curly install from halley's curls. My hair was natural at the time and 3 or 4 inches long.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I wore weaves to transition and the only damage I had from them was from curling the front when I wore a straight weave and then leaving my kiny curly wig in too long so I had matting in my hair when I took it out.

I would advise a net weaves. They are flatter and more gentle on your natural hair because the weft is sewn to the net.

Halleyscurls.com has a great kinky curl. All about my hair also and kinikae's also make a nice kinky curl. Kinky curly hair can look really natural but curly hair, especially when processed can be work. Bohyme Brazilian makes a curl that looks really natural and can even be flat ironed (it looks better on people then it does online or even in the pack) but you will need to seal the weft to prevent shedding.

I will post some pics of my kinky curly install when I get home.

Where do you buy the Bohyme Brazilian? I went to buy some at a store near me that sells Bohyme, but all they had was the deep wave. I would love to do the Brazilian in the summer, but I can't seem to find it.

My siggy shows my one year progress growing my hair with a weave and no damage. I used straight hair vs. curly but it was back to back weaves nonetheless. For all of 2008 I believe I had my real hair out for 6 weeks total (3-weeks after each relaxer) and during that time it was braided under wigs.

You did a good job. Don't be surprised if get a PM from me one day. I need to learn how to do this.

i recently took out my first weave and based on my limited experience, my answer is nope, not me. i'm sure there are ladies who can b/c i see them here on the board but for me, wearing the weave caused a set back-- partially because of the texture of my hair and partially because i left out a little in the front and did not take sufficient care of the part left out.

i'm 4a/b with extremely tight coils and kinks that are prone to tangling. if you have this type of hair and you are relaxed/texlaxed, then i would not suggest you do a weave, especially as part of a long stretch, as the detangling process afterwards is a beast! after reading up on other ladies' weave horror stories, i made sure to thoroughly detangle to get rid of all shed hair before washing my hair. unfortunately, so much of my hair broke off during that process. my hair, although not completely thin, is significantly thinner than before. :sad: i don't think i will be wearing a weave ever again unless it is to help me transition back to being natural, at which point i'll be cutting off all the relaxed hair anyway.

i could be wrong but you look like a reneice head. are you?

if i had a dedicated stylist like that to properly care for my hair in and out of the weave, i'd weave it up as a protective style. most definitely, especially because she's probably a pro at the detangling process, which is where i had trouble.

My siggy shows my one year progress growing my hair with a weave and no damage. I used straight hair vs. curly but it was back to back weaves nonetheless. For all of 2008 I believe I had my real hair out for 6 weeks total (3-weeks after each relaxer) and during that time it was braided under wigs.

The last sew in I had was wet and wavy and my hair didn't suffer at all. Its important to know how long your hair can "survive" under a sew in. One time I left mine in for 3 months (had a new baby and I was too busy) and when I took it out I had to cut an inch or 2 off due to matting and knots. I got alot of growth out of it but it wasn't worth it due to the cut I had to have.

So the last sew in I had I only left it in 3 weeks but I could've left it in for 2 months if I hadn't chopped it up. I wouldn't recommend leaving any hair out b/c it may be too much manipulation for those hairs. Before I was a natural, I would have to mess with that spot to blend it in everyday (flat iron or wet it and scrunch for wet and wavy).

Last edited:
I wore micros without any damage besides around the hairline where I KNOW they were braided far too tightly. My hair wasn't even tangled when I took them down, it was the healthiest it's ever looked. :ohwell:

You did a good job. Don't be surprised if get a PM from me one day. I need to learn how to do this.

LOL! That's cool. Feel free to PM me anytime. But really, I just watched while others were getting theirs done. And there are quite a few Youtube videos out there that you can watch as well. I just googled it. Once I figured out what would work, it really wasn't that hard at all. My arms just get tired from braiding and then sewing. But the end result was well worth it.

i could be wrong but you look like a reneice head. are you?

if i had a dedicated stylist like that to properly care for my hair in and out of the weave, i'd weave it up as a protective style. most definitely, especially because she's probably a pro at the detangling process, which is where i had trouble.

In deed I am.

She does do the detangling for me, which is a huge help. But I only go to her for installs, take-downs and relaxers. I do all weave maintenance myself. She only assists in tweaking my regimen when she does not like how my hair feels, so a lot of the responsibility still falls on me. I'm still a PJ and I still had to come up with my regimen based on trial and error.

In deed I am.

She does do the detangling for me, which is a huge help. But I only go to her for installs, take-downs and relaxers. I do all weave maintenance myself. She only assists in tweaking my regimen when she does not like how my hair feels, so a lot of the responsibility still falls on me. I'm still a PJ and I still had to come up with my regimen based on trial and error.

where is reniece? I'm in atlanta researching some good install queens please share!!! :):)

I wear weaves all the time and am still able to retain my growth. First, I wash the weave before i put it on; minimizes itching. I make sure the cornrows are not too tight and the sewing is not too tight. I spray s-curl and organic botanical oil spray on the cornrowed hair under every week, I wash every other week and take it out after 4 weeks

i hear you. wasn't trying to detract from the role you play in maintaining healthy hair at all. my experience just made me realize that some folks, like me, need a reneice type person to avoid set backs when it comes to detangling after taking out a weave.

In deed I am.

Where do you buy the Bohyme Brazilian? I went to buy some at a store near me that sells Bohyme, but all they had was the deep wave. I would love to do the Brazilian in the summer, but I can't seem to find it.

I never got around to wearing/buying the bohyme because I fell in love with my own hair. It is very popular over at BHM and most of those ladies shop online. Try googling it to get a good deal because the prices really varies.

BTW I posted pics of my kinky curly install in my previous post.

Back