Anyone decided to transition but then..

chocolate01

decided to go back to relaxing? I know there are a lot of naturals and transitioners on the board, but I want to know if there is anyone who tried to transition but has gone back to relaxing? What were your reasons for transitiong and what were your reasons for evevtually going back to relaxing? Also how did you weigh this reasons against each other and what was the most important factor in your decision. Sorry for all the ques, but I have decided (after thinking really long and hard) to transition,but I would like to hear other people's experiences. Also if you include your hair type..I am type 3 something (haven't figured out if im a,b,or c yet) that would be great.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I'm glad you bumped this...I was just wondering the same questions..because I want a texturizer and I have relaxed hair so to get one I need alot of new growth so I was thinking that I should just go natural.. at least that's what I'm thinking right now.. we'll see if I still think the same way 8 weeks from now when it's been about 16-17 weeks since my last relaxer..lol

divine

yes started in Jan 2003, but relaxed it sept 2003 and haven't relaxed it since......
im going to try it again

Bobbie

I've decided to transition -- my last relaxer was November 26 -- 4 months ago.
I haven't decided to relax again. I have a feeling my mom might pressure me to do it since she's coming to Cali for commencement.

I transitioned once for 3 months and got a relaxer in November... I think it depends on the individual's goals. I decided to transition again because I wanted to see my natural hair, and the relaxing experience was terrible to put it mildly.

No idea what hair type --- by Andre's standards I have type 3b-4c all over the place.

divine

I only got it relaxed again b/c my ex-stylist said my hair was too thick to work it.

I have 3c-4a hair too

bee

A year and two months later, I'm still transitioning. I had moments of weakness but decided that I would rather learn to maintain my own hair than to have to depend on someone else. I never found a stylist who "really" gave me what I wanted as fas as hairstyles. Don't get me wrong there was one who came close (Ms. T.A--she knows who she is), but overall, I get more compliments doing it myself. Also, I like the time I spend doing my hair--it's the only ME time I get.
That was a little off topic, but I think what it comes down to is how you want to style your hair. Your hair can be healthy natural or relaxed.

Karonica

I'd be the first one to tell you that that was me last year.

I went from the end of June - to mid October before perming again, 4 months perm-free. The only reason I started doing it was because my hair wasn't taking to perms that well since I was on thyroid meds. That was a nightmare. At first, it was all fine and dandy, but I was using the wrong products on my hair and kept getting knots and vicious tangles. Anyway, I've gone back to relaxing.
It wasn't for me.

I missed doing a lot of things that I couldn't do with natural hair, like wet-n-wavy. Actually, my hair doesn't do that properly anymore. I still like being relaxed. I wish I could turn back time because I was rough when handling with those tangles and was ripping out hair galore, and I wasn't trimming either (not to mention my hair was also color-treated). My hair is still suffering the repercussions to this day. It would've been much longer had I just "kept it up."

cybra

I have been transitioning since July, 2003 and this coming July will make one year. I have thought long and hard and I think I will get a relaxer at that time. My reason is that my natural hair is a lot thicker than I remembered. I had relaxed my hair for over 23 years and this was my first time going natural. My husband loves my natural hair because it is very wavy and soft, however, when I wash it OMG it takes me "***-ev-va" to get it where I want it. My hair type is between 3C and 4A...or so I've been told, but it's extremely curly and wavy, as you can see in my pics.

For me, the decision to relax is based on the fact that my hair is sooooo much easier for me to do when I'm in a rush. Right now, I keep it in braids but I can't see myself wearing these forever. I do enjoy wearing my hair down and changing the style during the summer. I love to pull it back in the summer into a bun leaving a few curls to frame my face. Also, I like just being able to change the style with my outfits if needed during the day. With it natural, I tend to do it once, keep it that way for two weeks (in braids), take it out only to rebraid it again in 5 days to a week. I love how convenient it is to have it in braids, but I do miss wearing it down without the fuss of having to tame the curls waves everytime I want to do it.

But, do enjoy giving my hair a break from all the chemicals and I can tell it's so much stronger, shinier, and healthier. Hopefully, with all the advice from the ladies on the board, whenever I relax it I'll be able to keep it in a more healthier state this time.