Anyone else's hair loosen after the BC?

davisbr88

I just recently BC'ed after almost a yearlong transition. At that particular time, my hair was mostly 4a with 3c without a doubt. But today, I washed my hair and it seemed a lot looser. When I looked in the mirror, it looked mostly 3c with 4a. I haven't used heat or henna or anything. I am just wondering if this is normal. I sure hope so!

Last edited:

davisbr88

Anyone? I really hope I'm not weird and doing something wrong. Not trying to wake up tomorrow with straight hair.

davisbr88

^^ Well I had 3c in the front and 4a coils, but now it's looking like a whole bunch of 3c with the 4a under the top layer of my crown and a little in the back. It's really weird how it just came out of nowhere.

ETA: I know a lot of people whose hair loosened as it grew, but it hasn't even been a month, so I know it's not coming from that. It's kind of freaky.

SN: Thanks, LaFemme... I hadn't seen it before. I was going crazy. I feel a little better now.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
My thoughts are just as it can take a little while for some people to get curl definition in their hair, the same has happened to you. Sounds like your hair's curl definition is developing. It's all good. :)

davisbr88

^^ Well, I should have been more specific. I transitioned for almost a year (I should change that in the OP) so it's not like how early in my transition when my new growth wasn't fully curling yet. Is that what you meant? I had plenty of curl definition at the BC, but now they just seem a lot looser. They hang a whole lot more than they did before.

silenttullip

It happened to me or maybe my hair is just angry and thinning lol I went from a 4b/c after bc and now years later it's more 4a/3c

EllePixie

I have no idea, but as long as it looks good and your hair isn't falling out, I don't see anything wrong with it! :)

davisbr88

@silent: Yeah, I know of a lot of people whose hair loosened after months or years because I guess the weight of your hair stretches them, but it's only been like 2 weeks since I BC'ed so that's why I'm like "HUH?" I'm not upset or anything, but I'm just wondering if I'm doing something to make this happen.

EllePixie

Oh just wondering...is this the first time you've washed your hair? After I took my twists down and washed, I thought my curls looked SO LOOSE! But I think it was from them being stretched for so long. They bounced back in a day.

EllePixie

LOL no problem! I just thought of that b/c I just did my first twists a few weeks ago and when I washed I was like UH WHAT and I went running to my friend like wth is going on man?!?

davisbr88

^^ LOL. Seriously. And I don't have many other natural friends, so I ran to post with the quickness!
They were only in for a week - I didn't realize it would keep it stretched that much. I did like 2 DCs today so you would think it would act right after the first DC or something. FAIL.

BillsBackerz67

Anything but loosen :lol: at 1 inch it looked wavy and then my 4 or 5 inches I had telephone cords for curls :lol: It loosened after I got to a decent length simply because the ends are older and not freshly cut and I guess my hair as more weight to it so it hangs a little bit more.

Urban

My hair definitely loosened, but not right after my BC. It was after it had gotten longer, somewhere between SL and APL. I just think it's the added weight. I still consider myself mostly 4b though.

davisbr88

UPDATE: So I washed my hair again, clarified and all, and it's still looser! So I don't know what caused it but it definitely looks more 3c/4a now instead of 4a/3c. I'm puzzled.

davisbr88

^^ Yeah, I guess you're right... :/
I'm just hoping it doesn't decide tomorrow that it wants to be straight!

LaFemmeNaturelle

HAHA I don't think that will happen. Maybe when you were transitioning your hair was like "eeew no relaxed hair get away!" so it drew up as tight as it could. Then when you big chopped, it was still scared to come out of its shell. Now they see that you aren't gonna torture them anymore with those dreadful chemicals so they're loosening up....that's all. They just had to make sure this was a long-term relationship before they became 100% comfortable with you lol

BostonMaria

My hair loosened after it got a little longer. I think that either you used the right products and your hair reacted nicely or maybe it grew and loosened.

davisbr88

^^Well, I know it's not because it grew. It's only been 3 weeks since I BC'ed and I don't know if it's the product since I clarified and it still is loose... :(

ckisland

When I BC'd, I only had 0.5 in of hair, so it was super loose for about the first month or so. I think it was actually tighter when I initially BC'd though. But then my little fluff got enough length to coil, and it just went at it :grin:. I haven't noticed any loosening at this point, but if my moisture level isn't quite right, my hair types all move up :lachen:. Meaning my 3c/4a/4b goes to 4b with a touch of 4a :look:. So my guess would be that your hair is at an optimal level of moisture and is showing it's true curl.

BostonMaria

^^Well, I know it's not because it grew. It's only been 3 weeks since I BC'ed and I don't know if it's the product since I clarified and it still is loose... :(

Oh I didn't realize it was only 3 weeks! Sorry!

I see that you haven't used henna or heat so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your hair is lovely so just enjoy it! As the poster above me said, your hair is probably just properly moisturized and showing its true curl pattern.

Grand Prix

My curls have become much tighter since my BC. I think it has to do with your hair adjusting to the relaxed ends being gone. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Could it be that you're using less protein now that you're natural? I can usually tell my hair is going to be overmoisturized soon when my curls start to hang looser.

Grand Prix

HAHA I don't think that will happen. Maybe when you were transitioning your hair was like "eeew no relaxed hair get away!" so it drew up as tight as it could. Then when you big chopped, it was still scared to come out of its shell. Now they see that you aren't gonna torture them anymore with those dreadful chemicals so they're loosening up....that's all. They just had to make sure this was a long-term relationship before they became 100% comfortable with you lol

:rofl:
I think you have your answer!

davisbr88

Thanks for all of the responses ladies! Maybe it is the moisture thing. I was focusing more on the protein while I was transitioning, and though my new growth responded really well to it, maybe it just needed moisture. I have been moisturizing a whole lot more than what I did when I was transitioning (mostly because of the juice challenge! haha) So maybe that's what it is! That's so weird that moisture and protein can change your curl pattern.

ETA: My hair doesn't feel mushy or overmoisturized at all and I've been getting my protein in on a regular basis. I think I just wasn't moisturizing enough during the transition. I barely did any moisture DCs - they were all protein.

Last edited: