So After My Chop, I Discovered...

French Rouge

That my hair is almost evenly divided into two texture hemispheres. All of the hair to the front of my ear is virtually straight. Kinda blowout like in texture. Behind my ears it is 4a like with some 3c patches in the nape. I wonder if the front is heat damage, but I don't know. I used heat very sparingly during my transition. I guess as I progress on this natural adventure, I'll find out.

In these pics the hair is washed with the Kimmytube leave-in mixture applied.

Front
4udnww.jpg

Back
140xekg.jpg

I thought some of my straight hairs were heat damage at first then I lopped it off. Then when I noticed more straight parts, I was going to cut again..... when it hit me, I hadn't been using heat. It really was growing like that.

I have three sections of different textures with a bit of straight mixed in. The top is wavy but coarse and very dry, the back is straighter and much looser (it's a mix of 3bc because some if it just waves and some it curls... totally different texture from the front and top), the sides are are curly, and lay down easily. I'm kicking myself for over trimming. I'd be APL and below if I hadn't kept cutting....

I also have two very different textures lol I like u thought it was heat damage but I only flat ironed my bangs once since I bc'd and my loose curls are in my crown and at the nape!

My natural hair never stops surprising me.

I thought some of my straight hairs were heat damage at first then I lopped it off. Then when I noticed more straight parts, I was going to cut again..... when it hit me, I hadn't been using heat. It really was growing like that.

I have three sections of different textures with a bit of straight mixed in. The top is wavy but coarse and very dry, the back is straighter and much looser (it's a mix of 3bc because some if it just waves and some it curls... totally different texture from the front and top), the sides are are curly, and lay down easily. I'm kicking myself for over trimming. I'd be APL and below if I hadn't kept cutting....

This so describes my virgin hair even after a 1 1/2 year of no heat:) It was so frustrating WNG were a no no. I could do puffs but the back would hang even though it was relatively the same length as the rest.

I think a lot of naturals have this issue and its typically not heat damage. Personally I like to wear my hair straight and I rollerset weekly but the front of my hair grows out of my scalp straight then eventually forms a loose wave while the rest of my hair is 3b/c. It may bother me when I decide to wear my hair curly but I don't care while its straight.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

I've had to back away from the scissors too. I want to make sure that it is not heat damage before I chop off progress.

Wait a little while before you cut. My bang is a mix of limp waves and straight pieces. I doubted it was heat damage because I only used heat twice during my 1 year transition, and definitely not high heat. I waited a couple of months and avoided heat completely and pulling that section back and noticed that that was just how it was. My roots are no curlier than my ends.

Im going to be honest and say its probably not heat damage. I know the first time I big chopped, I went to the barber after hacking off most of it. My hair in the front is much looser than the hair in the back. So the barber wound up giving me something akin to a fatback when trying to get rid of the relaxed ends. Your hair is probably looser in the front and whatever you are using on your hair is weighing that part down. Give it time before cutting it off ever more. You will probably find that is just how your hair is.

its doesn't have to be heat damage but bunning,roller settting and pulling your hair back alot can train your hair to lay straighter. for a long time i thought mine was primarily heat damage. now i realize that my texture is looser in the front than in the back it only got a tiny bit tighter in curl over time. don't cut it and give it more time...it may curl tighter or it may not.

My son is a 3c...with 4a right at the crown, and his hair grows like this. At the top, he has curls, then about a half inch of bone straight hair. Its the weirdest thing. When his hair is grown out a lot, I cut the staight ends off. Obviously...since he is a boy he has never had a perm or used any heat..ever.

Back