anyone familiar with or try the skip curl method? (pic included)

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Just wondering if anyone has tried this styling method? A lot of girls on NaturallyCurly.com talk about it. I've never seen anyone here talk about it and I searched the archives to see if anyone had any pictures of it.

Here's the link (it's old). It reads:

The Skip Curl styling technique provides ringlet style definition. Use a water-based style product like Curl Keeper from Curly Hair Solutions to control frizz and achieve maximum curls and volume.
1.Begin with wet, clean detangled hair.
2.Take a section of hair (the larger the section, the looser the curl) and comb it through with a generous amount of Curl Keeper™.
3.Twist it around the finger.
4.Slide your fingers down the hair shaft sealing the cuticle but stopping and holding at the end.
5.“Skip” the hair like a skipping rope in the same direction as you previously twisted the hair. Voila! The ringlet is formed.

I remember my mom doing this to my hair when I was little to get what we used to call shirley temple curls. I tried it the other day with KCCC and Qhemet's Burdock Root. Here's my result:

It was cute but too "perfect" and scalpy for me. As the day went on, I separated the curls and had a fluffier look.

Has anyone else ever tried this method?

Last edited:

janda

Re: anyone familiar with or try the skip curl method?

My mom used to do this to my hair too.:yep: Cute.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
It almost sounds like Terri's method. Do you have pictures of how your hair looked dry?

In the picture above, it was about 70% dry.It was super humid so my hair seemed to never fully dry that day.

I have one picture - it was late in the day and about as dry as it was going to get. I separated the curls and fluffed it. It shrank (of course) and frizzed up. Please excuse my face - I have no makeup on and I never know what to do with my face when I'm trying to get hair pictures.

freecurl

Too cute!!! I want to try this. I saw Nick Arrojo(sp?) on What Not To Wear do this on an AA curly haired woman and it turned out great. I will try this in the near future.
And wavezncurlz, this looks like a great style for you to do a youtube tutorial for..hint, hint.:yep:

Boujoichic

it looks similar to what I do with my denman when I want more defined curls by twirling sections with my denman brush to make ringlets. This sounds pretty easy I will try it out

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Too cute!!! I want to try this. I saw Nick Arrojo(sp?) on What Not To Wear do this on an AA curly haired woman and it turned out great. I will try this in the near future.
And wavezncurlz, this looks like a great style for you to do a youtube tutorial for..hint, hint.:yep:

Sorry I don't know how to multiquote

Oh boy at the bolded. I have to admit that I am camera shy. I'm also technologically slow. I need to work on figuring out videos and I want to lose some weight before I show myself. Maybe I can a slide show video without showing my face (a la the Southern Tease video). We'll see.

Nasdaq_Diva

That looks really cute and easy to do. I dont think my natural hair would respond well to the 'skip' curls though...

I would experiment, but I get frustrated easily lol

BostonMaria

In the picture above, it was about 70% dry.It was super humid so my hair seemed to never fully dry that day.

I have one picture - it was late in the day and about as dry as it was going to get. I separated the curls and fluffed it. It shrank (of course) and frizzed up. Please excuse my face - I have no makeup on and I never know what to do with my face when I'm trying to get hair pictures.

Oh it looks so pretty! Almost like if you had used Curlformers. I tried this once on APL hair and it shrunk to my ears LOL I'll have to try it again on my WSL hair and pray it shrinks to SL only.