Does any one else have natural hair that doesnt curl?

grnidmonster

:look::look: My hair doesnt curl, only waves when wet. I have tried curl creams, oils, gels everything but, my natural pattern is a deep wave not a curl of any type. Is anyone else like this or is it just me? I keep trying to acheive those ringlet curls and DH finally told me this week to "give it up" my hair just doesnt do that (unless I want to do spiral, pin or some other type of set).

Seraphina

My hair does both:rolleyes:. The bottom half (near my nape) curls in ringlets and are pretty defined/clumpy. The top half (near my forehead) is S-waves, and I can't get those waves to define themselves to save my soul. The only thing that helps it is using a Denman brush in the shower and then all of my ends will create ringlets. It's not annoying at all.:ohwell:

Last edited:

lovinmylocs

I don't have those perfect ringlets or curls. My hair only curls for the last inch or so other than that it's all waves. The front doesn't curl at the end - just waves from root to tip. It bothered me at first after a while you just learn to live with it.

discodumpling

I'm one yr nappy with naaaah curl on my head! I never even tried because I figure if I had curls they would just show up for the party:lachen:

My hair has a TIGHT wave (thus far) that I choose to call 100% unadulterated NAPP-FRIZZ.
Additionally i'm finding that my hair "changes" texture, pattern every 3 months or so. It is what it is& I love it!

LynnieB

Are you relaxed, transitioning or natural?

You know (don't hurt me, i'm just saying) sometimes if you use alot of heat/or improperly used heat on natural hair over a long period of time it can really affect your curl pattern - loosening it then finally eradicating it's natural pattern completely.

lots of naturals have not only had to transition from relaxed hair but also from hair that has seen frequent heat use.

to answer your ?. my hair is mostly wavy/kinky and then forms some type of coil, spiral or squiggly loops on the bottom last 2-3 inches. it's cool though as these are what keeps my braids and twists from unraveling.

discobiscuits

My hair is like that. I have to make it curl. I take a section of wet hair, gel my fingers & twirl the section around my finger et voila a ringlet.

LiberianGirl

You know (don't hurt me, i'm just saying) sometimes if you use alot of heat/or improperly used heat on natural hair over a long period of time it can really affect your curl pattern - loosening it then finally eradicating it's natural pattern completely.

I'm trying to figure out if my crown area has heat damage or just has a wavy texure because the rest of my hair is small s-curls and coils. I am thinking that it's just the texture because that area has always felt "different" from other areas of my hair. I guess only time will tell.

LynnieB

I'm trying to figure out if my crown area has heat damage or just has a wavy texure because the rest of my hair is small s-curls and coils. I am thinking that it's just the texture because that area has always felt "different" from other areas of my hair. I guess only time will tell.

:yep: - that's one of the problems having multi-textured hair.

BrownSkin2

My hair doesn't curl, it's just nappy frizz, and what's worse the shrinkage varies widely in different areas. My hair is now between SL and APL, and a WnG is not happening.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Are you relaxed, transitioning or natural?

lots of naturals have not only had to transition from relaxed hair but also from hair that has seen frequent heat use.

to answer your ?. my hair is mostly wavy/kinky and then forms some type of coil, spiral or squiggly loops on the bottom last 2-3 inches. it's cool though as these are what keeps my braids and twists from unraveling.

My hair resembles yours if I brush or comb it... It sure wouldn't curl if I didn't leave it to air dry with some Carrot Oil in it :grin:
Like the hair to the left in my signature, that's what it looks like if I don't leave it alone after washing... I had combed my hair for my friend to be able to snip the ends.

LiberianGirl

I'm one yr nappy with naaaah curl on my head! I never even tried because I figure if I had curls they would just show up for the party:lachen:

My hair has a TIGHT wave (thus far) that I choose to call 100% unadulterated NAPP-FRIZZ.
Additionally i'm finding that my hair "changes" texture, pattern every 3 months or so. It is what it is& I love it!

Same here:ohwell:. Everytime I think I have my hair figured out..it behaves differently the next wash day. I am fairly consistent with the products so I don't think this is the cause. It's been almost a year and half since my last relaxer. My hair rate is the normal .5 inch/month so I didn't think it would take this long to see my true texture.

LynnieB

Thanks d-rock!! :Rose:

My hair resembles yours if I brush or comb it... It sure wouldn't curl if I didn't leave it to air dry with some Carrot Oil in it :grin:
Like the hair to the left in my signature, that's what it looks like if I don't leave it alone after washing... I had combed my hair for my friend to be able to snip the ends.

Absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt, jaw droppingly beautiful long hair you have flowerhair :lick::lick:

Country gal

Certain parts do cute little spiral curls. The front part of my hair is permanently straight. It will not revert back.

Stiletto_Diva

i've been transitioning for 6 months and this one little patch in the center nape area does nothing but look puffy. no matter what products i put in that area it doesn't do anything but look nappy and poofy. then the front of my hair is nothing but waves. i've tried to make it curly like the rest of my 3c/4a newgrowth, but it just doesn't want to curl.

AfroKink

I have no curl definition. All of my strands are curly, but they're solo dancers and I let them do their own thing.

Lys

anon123

I have no curl definition. All of my strands are curly, but they're solo dancers and I let them do their own thing.

Lys

You and I have very similar hair. I've seen your wash and go and, like mine, you only get coils on a few ends.

To the OP, have you tried the method described on biracialhair.org?

JustKiya

*raises hand*

I don't have tight curls, I have tight waves. The bottom inch or two will turn into a coil/curl with some encouragement, otherwise, nada.

Hmmm...

I always thought my hair was mostly 4a, but now I'm thinking 4b-ish. My back will coil with product and some manipulation, but if I wash and leave it be, it'll just be a frizzy poof.

The front does it's own thing. Basically just slightly waves up with a pitiful excuse of a coil on the end. Don't add product or it will look like a busted Jherri curl. This is why I don't bother with defining my curl, because my hair just likes to be a big bundle of frizzy naps.

AtlantaJJ

:look::look: My hair doesnt curl, only waves when wet. I have tried curl creams, oils, gels everything but, my natural pattern is a deep wave not a curl of any type. Is anyone else like this or is it just me? I keep trying to acheive those ringlet curls and DH finally told me this week to "give it up" my hair just doesnt do that (unless I want to do spiral, pin or some other type of set).
:ot:I was going to ask if you were my little sister until I saw DH in your message. My sister graduated last Friday from USC with her Masters in Finance... I'm so proud!!:grin:

AtlantaJJ

You and I have very similar hair. I've seen your wash and go and, like mine, you only get coils on a few ends.

To the OP, have you tried the method described on biracialhair.org?
I have to check that out...never heard of it...

Bint Yusef

My best friends hair is like this. It is natural and it doesnt curl or wave. Her natural hair looks like a half hearted blow out. Its straightish and frizzy, but there is just no curl pattern at all. No amount of gels, shingling, or cremes can make her hair curl. She decided to let it lock and it is very long now.

laurend

My hair doesn't curl also, its just nappy and wavy esp. in the front. I have to use pincurls on my twistouts in the front to have curly ends.:ohwell:

joyandfaith

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one. I used to look at all the pics of the naturals with the beautiful tightly coiled curls and wonder what my hair was doing. Now I've learned to run my own race and love and work what I've got...thanks to LHCF