Anyone Go From Natural to Relaxed? Did you regret it?

CarefreeinChicago

Suri said:
And I think I forget that for some people it's not about a choice, it's either go natural or go bald and risk your health. In that case, I would be totally natural. But having a choice, I like the option of going back and forth. I feel that one day I will be all natural.

that is true it was go natural or be bald my scalp just could not take perms any more i was going to the shop and my hair was still coming out

mkstar826

supersonic
CurliDiva said:
[I'm going to be NATURAL for the rest of my life. :D

Me too :D

Since going natural I've never thought about going back to a relaxer or getting a texturizer...it's just not something that even crosses my mind because I love natural hair. :love:

SocialWorker29

MzTami said:
SocialWorker29,

This is a really good thread for transitioners or anyone that is thinking about going natural. :)
Thanks,
Believe it or not, when I first decided to go natural, I was somewhat of a "militant napp". :armyhat: I felt I had to prove that my hair was acceptable the way it grows out of my head - naturally!. Many friends and family kinda had that funny look at first, but eventually everyone has pretty much accepted that about me. Shoot, now my hubby is actually pro-natural, giving me advice and stuff.. always telling me about some banging fro he saw.. etc, etc. That's why it will be a shocker more than anything else, if/when I get a relaxer.
But after years of being natural, I realized how hard it can get as your hair gets longer, for folks with xtra kinky - xtra thick full hair ( and I have a big head to boot :D ). No joke - I have to take tylenol when its time to detangle my hair, and I SHUN the blowdryer.

@ichephren...
I too am SCARED TO DEATH of getting a bad perm, or having my hair break off, which is why I spend so much time lurking around these boards. I may be jumping on that Phyto bandwagon too....

Last edited:

carmella25

Hi,
Ive been coming to this board since 2002. My hair was damaged from relaxing, micro braids, and fusion extensions. I went natural for a little while because I was afraid of relaxing.

After awhile I really missed relaxing. So I went back to relaxed hair. The reason why is because I gained alot of knowledge from this site on how to take care of my hair relaxed. I just had to give up alot of the fancy styles wash and moisturize more often and use protective stlyles.

My hair is 100% heathier now than before. I have grown my hair to brastrap length which I have never had in my life and now Im working on my second goal which is waist lenght.

I will be posting new pics soon for 2005

I hope this info helps.:)

Carmella25

Sweetyb

SocialWorker29 said:
Thanks,
Believe it or not, when I first decided to go natural, I was somewhat of a "militant napp". :armyhat: I felt I had to prove that my hair was acceptable the way it grows out of my head - naturally!. Many friends and family kinda had that funny look at first, but eventually everyone has pretty much accepted that about me. Shoot, now my hubby is actually pro-natural, giving me advice and stuff.. always telling me about some banging fro he saw.. etc, etc. That's why it will be a shocker more than anything else, if/when I get a relaxer.
But after years of being natural, I realized how hard it can get as your hair gets longer, for folks with xtra kinky - xtra thick full hair ( and I have a big head to boot :D ). No joke - I have to take tylenol when its time to detangle my hair, and I SHUN the blowdryer.

@ichephren...
I too am SCARED TO DEATH of getting a bad perm, or having my hair break off, which is why I spend so much time lurking around these boards. I may be jumping on that Phyto bandwagon too....

How long is your natural hair now?

SocialWorker29

Okay, I just took a ruler out of my desk and stretched one of my taken down twists. ( I'm currently wearing kinky twist w/extension, in the process of taking some down gradually) It's around 8 inches. When I stretch it in the back, it hits my shoulders.

(pic removed)

Last edited:

MizAvalon

I was natural for 4 years and while it was fine when it was shorter, the longer it got the more difficult it became to take care of. At that time, I knew nothing about Dominican blowouts and all of the various styles a natural can do. I wish I had.

Anyhoo, I went back to perming about 3 1/2 years ago and I don't regret it at all. I am much more knowledgable about perming this time around am almost at waist length.

I will probably go back to natural at some point, but for now I'm permed and very happy! :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm appraoching my 4 month mark of having no relaxer and I love my hair. I'm just not skilled at styling my natural hair. I want so badly to lightly texturize it to loosen my curls, but I have a stylist that is helping me to stay natural. :spank: :lol: If onlt I knew how to style my hair better, then I wouldn't wish for a texturizer. :ohwell:

CatSuga

I went back and forth for awhile. I was transitioning with braids, got a texturizers, got a relaxer, cut it off and started all over again. Yes, I did regret it. It's much easier for me to take care of natural hair.....cause I don't do anything. :lachen:

P

patient1

i've been natural for 14 years now. doesn't look like i'll be relaxing again. (i never had a texturizer.)

i was 19 when i chopped it all off and i'm 33 now so i feel pretty resolute. i color here and there. do kinky twists sometimes, shave it off, start over, etc.

i've had huge afros but never natural hair long enough to pull into a bun,etc. But even with that much hair to manage, i just couldn't see myself getting a chemical service.

ALL THAT SAID, i've learned years ago to embrace what i do for me AND what others do for them. my goal is to grow out my loose natural hair, but i learn stuff from women here who have no desire to be natural.

it's hair, it's more than that, but then again. . .i've seen folks go from organic napps to relaxers. what does that say? a good friend of mine has gone back and forth between a twa, locs, a relaxed bob so many times over the years. was she one person with the locs and another with the straight bob? she's the same woman. i'm not gonna get caught up in the earth suit.

so for me natural. who knows maybe i'd blow it out or press it on occasion. and if you're natural and relax, don't waste time on regret. live with the perm or transition/big chop. just don't regret that as well.

my hair is a pretty mutable component of who i am. but for me, there's no reason to relax.

p1

Country gal

patient1 said:
i've been natural for 14 years now. doesn't look like i'll be relaxing again. (i never had a texturizer.)

i was 19 when i chopped it all off and i'm 33 now so i feel pretty resolute. i color here and there. do kinky twists sometimes, shave it off, start over, etc.

i've had huge afros but never natural hair long enough to pull into a bun,etc. But even with that much hair to manage, i just couldn't see myself getting a chemical service.

ALL THAT SAID, i've learned years ago to embrace what i do for me AND what others do for them. my goal is to grow out my loose natural hair, but i learn stuff from women here who have no desire to be natural.

it's hair, it's more than that, but then again. . .i've seen folks go from organic napps to relaxers. what does that say? a good friend of mine has gone back and forth between a twa, locs, a relaxed bob so many times over the years. was she one person with the locs and another with the straight bob? she's the same woman. i'm not gonna get caught up in the earth suit.

so for me natural. who knows maybe i'd blow it out or press it on occasion. and if you're natural and relax, don't waste time on regret. live with the perm or transition/big chop. just don't regret that as well.

my hair is a pretty mutable component of who i am. but for me, there's no reason to relax.

p1

good points

caligirl

@SocialWorker:

It should never hurt to comb your natural hair. I think this is a myth.
Just like sex, if it hurts you're doing something WRONG.
Try using a K Cutter comb, a good conditioner and comb thru small sections then braid them. You can even use your fingers instead of a comb.

SocialWorker29

patient1 said:

p1

Thanks for your insight patient1.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
The past week or so I have been toying with the idea of a relaxer. I think I'm just bored with my hair, because I know if I relax and have to go thru the touchup bondage again I will regret it. The longer I'm natural and the longer my hair grows, the better my coils look. Then again I see all the straight pretty silky hair like I used to have and I start longing for a relaxer again. I'm also toying with putting color in my hair. Its picking up some red/brown from the sun and I am debating on going blue black or getting some henna to lighten it more. I was also thinking about getting an electric pressing comb but I havent been able to find any reviews on one. Regardless I am going to finally get it evened up this weekend. I always feel better when my hair has a really nice shape to it. :)

BBabe

caligirl said:
It should never hurt to comb your natural hair. I think this is a myth.
Just like sex, if it hurts you're doing something WRONG.
Try using a K Cutter comb, a good conditioner and comb thru small sections then braid them. You can even use your fingers instead of a comb.
I gotta disagree. If you have a severe kink/coil (4DDD lol like me), it hurts to comb/detangle hair. Yes doing it w/ loads of con and a good comb definitely helps with the process. BUT, although combing hair with conditioner is preferred, it is not always possible and should not be the only way one is able to comb/style their hair. For instance, see what happens when you need to do small cornrows and a fine tooth comb has to be used on dry hair - pain city! No matter how well moisturized, as soon as "air" hits my hair it tangles majorly! Meaning that as long as I keep it braided or twisted, the tangling is minimal, but after 30 min of unprotected exposure - fogetaboutit! Comb it in the shower - you must be joking. I can't even wash my hair w/o twisting and braiding it - I am forced to use the crown glory method! These are hair strands that when pulled stretches to about 9" and coils back up to 3" when released. Ain't no conditioner/comb gonna change that lol - but a texturizer might do the trick lol.
Sorry didn't mean to rant so long - Sometimes I just find my tight curl pattern so frustrating. I love/hate my natural hair

skegeesmb

I regret it. I mean I like it straight, but when I was natural my hair felt better when it was straightened even though it did revert. I will be natural again, but for now since my hair is around bs, I don't want to part with the length yet.

TigerLily

I regreted it.

After getting used to the texture of my natural hair, I did not like how my relaxed hair felt...AT ALL!

thickness

My last relaxer was in April 2001. I was natural for about 2 years before I texturized. Even though the stylist left it on for too long in the front, I still loved it despite my straight ends. I regretted doing it at first, but my hair was so easy to style. Even my laziest braid-out looked good. I had no one to do the retouch, so I transitioned again back to natural hair. So, now two years later I am just THINKING about texturizing again. My hair is extremely dense, coarse and extra thick. My hair strands literally look like wire. Even skilled natural stylists have a hard time with my hair. That's why I'm glad that I found this board! :) You ladies have been so helpful. If I decide to texturize, I'm going to do it myself.